Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448106 times)

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The US, I presume, army, does that with their vehicles, but not tanks as far as i know.
Magma is overrated.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

The US, I presume, army, does that with their vehicles, but not tanks as far as i know.
Certainly not the Abrams. But you might be able to do the trick I did with something along the lines of a Sheridan, as well as many other things that are not tanks. And of course, those things are made to be parachuted in more sane fashion.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

I remember seeing a Soviet designed tank that was meant to be towed be towed by another plane, and then was supposed to glide down to it's target. 
Here it is- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_A-40
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

I remember seeing a Soviet designed tank that was meant to be towed be towed by another plane, and then was supposed to glide down to it's target. 
Not to be nitpicky, but technically it's a glider that you strap on to a tank. :P

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

Not to be nitpicky, but technically it's a glider that you strap on to a tank. :P
I found the link after I wrote up the first part of the post.  All I remembered was that there was a tank, it was supposed to glide, and it failed. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Certainly not the Abrams. But you might be able to do the trick I did with something along the lines of a Sheridan, as well as many other things that are not tanks. And of course, those things are made to be parachuted in more sane fashion.
You're pretty much dead on. The C130 Hercules (pretty sure that's the plane in the video) can't fit an Abrams inside it (just a little too wide) and couldn't take off if you did manage to get it in (Abrams is over 3x its maximum payload weight).

Now I want to go try to LAPES a rover.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 10:58:08 pm by Leonon »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 08:43:40 am by Dutchling »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

So, someone carrier guy made a rotational habitat which makes Kerbals experience artificial gravity.
A few people have tried this. It doesn't 'really' provide artificial gravity because the game's physics engine doesn't recognize the centripetal force as gravity so they still can't walk around on the surface.

Still, very cool.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile

I managed to land a small Kethane refinery in Antarctica. Half of it exploded because the landed gear gave out when I hit the ground, but the drills still functioned. After I turned them on to test if it worked, I realised that I had no idea if Antarctica even had Kethane deposits.

Is there a mod that allows Kethane mining anywhere that's compatible with version 18.2?
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

You know you can map for kethane right :P?

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile

You can, but landing a 23ton refinery on that single pixel of the Kethane map is a pain in the ass.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

You can, but landing a 23ton refinery on that single pixel of the Kethane map is a pain in the ass.
The kethane deposits are actually rather large. I've never missed one.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Yeah, if you do a continuous scan of the ground, you will find they are typically dozens of miles across. For an ideal kethane map, put a satellite scanner in a polar orbit, and it will then scan across the entire planet as the planet rotates.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 04:21:36 pm by alway »

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile

Rollin', rollin', rollin'...

Throttling down. (Anything over 60m/s resulted in carnage.)

Oh, right, the sea...

Still going!

And relax. (It kept on oscillating like that for a few minutes before I got bored.)

It would probably have kept on skimming across the water if the engines hadn't been destroyed by hitting the surface. Maybe if they were closer to the centre...

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile

Damn it, do you have any idea how much I've tried to do that? :L
Pages: 1 ... 312 313 [314] 315 316 ... 848