Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448339 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Docking man!

Heres a suggestion that I really need to do.

Have a ship thats going up.
Shove a docking port on it.
Shove an RCS drone on that, connected with another port.
Fuck around with them in space.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Docking man!

i really want someone to dock two rockets flying into orbit from each side of the equator while one is essentially a (plausibly mechjeb-controlled) icbm and the other is player-controlled ship and with their powers combined they become captain planet interstellar craft

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile

Docking man!

i really want someone to dock two rockets flying into orbit from each side of the equator while one is essentially a (plausibly mechjeb-controlled) icbm and the other is player-controlled ship and with their powers combined they become captain planet interstellar craft
to bad about the 2k limit of stuff getting deleted so you can't really 
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Docking man!

It only gets deleted if it's in atmosphere. In space you're fine.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile

Docking man!

It only gets deleted if it's in atmosphere. In space you're fine.
oh nice I think there a mod that get rid of the 2k limit anyways but that good to know 
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

I didn't realize it at first, but my landmark Kerbnik 1 success carried another important milestone, the first orbiting space junk.  The final stage thruster has settled into a nearly perfect circular orbit around Kerbin.

My first attempt at a Mun probe was disastrous.
Shoes...

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile

Failed to land on the Mun for a rescue mission, due to fuel shortage. AGAIN.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

My Mun probe almost made it but, once again, the batteries died before my final course adjustments and after a few extremely eccentric revolutions around Kerbin it got caught into a solar orbit, larger than Kerbin's.

Is it intentional that you can't reclassify an object if its batteries are dead?  The Mk3 is a landmark so it can stay but if these failed missions keep leaving me with strange objects floating around the solar system and I can't mark them as trash eventually the tracking station's gonna get cluttered.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 05:19:23 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can just end flight for it -_-

Also, It's a good idea to include at least RTGs(if not solar panels) on anything you put into space, just because of situations like that
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

I don't want to make it disappear, it's part of Kerbal history!  Keep your animoticons to yourself.  I guess I'll just have to let it float there, it's no big.

Made it to Mun on a modified Mk3, but crashed on the surface.  Gonna look into a better landing craft.

EDIT:  Another crash, getting closer though.  The probe glimpsed an Arch from high altitude before it crashed.  This warrants more investigation, NO SPOILERS
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 10:08:22 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Man, I never realized just how little thrust is necessary for massive delta V using gravitational slingshots. Est burns of 1s with only a middle rockomax engine giving 100+ m/s is pretty awesome. mun
Got a rocket to stable orbit around the Mun and then stable orbit around Kerbin followed by successful parachute landing. Could have potentially careened it into the sun, something I really want to do at some point. I also realize I've never actually had a successful mun landing...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

I landed a probe on Mun a few hours ago, I had a little too much lateral speed going and the lander came apart on impact but I'm still calling it a success.  The main module survived, minus its generator, so we'll see how long it goes.

More distant but unmistakable glimpses of clearly unnatural objects on Mun's surface.  Now that I have a probe down to reckon by, I should be able to land a rover (or a kerballed lander?!) near one.  The plot thickens.
Shoes...

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, that was satisfying. I now have 20 satellites orbiting Kerbin, and 2 orbiting the Mun. Make that 2 into 5, and then I shall land on it.

do it like i did and put 40 tons of communications in orbit then do your best to fling your orbits around so you land directly under the satellite

it takes skill to actually crash into something in orbit when landing right?

i've got skill

* LordSlowpoke reassures self of spaceship piloting qualities

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

I'm puttering along very slowly.  I attempted a moon landing but barely got off the ground, also always always always land in real time, no matter how slow you're going, I learned.  Rest in Peace Jeb, first Kerbal in space.

I decided to dial back my approach a bit, and instead performed the Kremini mission.  Kremini 7 and 6A successfully docked in orbit, undocked, and landed, with several experimental EVAs along the way.  Spent a lot of time getting the hang of things but it was worth it.  Going through the process of equalizing orbits and docking makes me realize there is no way in hell I would've been able to do a moon landing.  Or, well, I could've done a landing, but that's as far as we'd go.

Also, what's up with the reentry forces?  I had a satellite deorbit and the solar panels burnt away in the atmosphere, but Selnie Kerman of Kremini 6A rode on the outside for the entire braking process and survived.

I also put a rover on Mun but learned that rovers are fucking impossible to drive.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 08:46:35 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

solars break easily. Just be glad they dont break from mono-propellant like they do IRL.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 848