Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443909 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As far as I know, there is not really such a thing as reentry forces. It's just a fancy effect. The breaking was just normal drag of your ship going though the atmosphere at the speed it was going. And extended solar panels are just really weak.

How did you convince a Kerbal to hang on tight enough to a ship to not fly off? I've tried a little bit, but they always let go and fly off into the distance with some smug shit eating grin.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile

As far as I know, there is not really such a thing as reentry forces. It's just a fancy effect. The breaking was just normal drag of your ship going though the atmosphere at the speed it was going. And extended solar panels are just really weak.

unless of course you have this mod http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ovbMe6Sboo
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile

Sadly, that mod is bugged for the current version. It currently makes reentry impossible.
oh that sucks
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's wrong. The latest version works perfectly fine.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I thought the whole point of the mod was to make the usual style of Kerbal reentry impossible?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I managed to successfully land Jebediah on the Mun. However, my decision to use an external control seat (because I can't figure out how to make a ship not use up all available seats) had an unpredicted flaw: that my lander was offbalanced by Jebediah's weight. I was able to land despite my lander careening in one direction without fixing, but when I was ready to rendezvous with the orbiter I was so focused on fixing the escape that I didn't realize I was heading westward while my orbiter was orbiting eastward. I tried to fix it but lacked enough fuel, ended up crashing into the Mun 20km west from the original landing site. Nevertheless, I think I've gained invaluable knowledge.
Now I've got a long-range space probe with 2000 units of xenon gas currently burning towards a trajectory out of the solar system. I'm not sure whether I want to aim for completely leaving or an extremely long orbit. I've got 2 hours of burning to decide.
Thinking about it, it's not really possible to escape Kerbol's gravity well, is it? The apoapsis of the furthest orbit I can calculate with the maneuver thing is about a billion kilometers, and IRL the nearest star is 40 trillion kilometers.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

So, uh...

I was screwing around, making a rover with the new cupola thing.

Then for the hell of it, I slapped some wings on it.

Then this happened: Mood music
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Sadly, that mod is bugged for the current version. It currently makes reentry impossible.
oh that sucks

I think it is, unless the videos I saw of it where using an old version.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did your capsule have a heat shield?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

I did it!  I put a rover on the Mun and it's working!  Landed it in a mare.  Now begins the long journey westward, to the oft-glimpsed mystery structure.  Turns out the Mun is very big. I'll have to save exploration of the mystery structures for my manned mission.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 05:24:32 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

My first Mun attempt didn't go as planned.  I decided since I have unlimited resources, I'd send two ships, one with a lander and one with the command module.  Since I needed two empty seats in my command module I started with a single-seat module, planning to move Bill to the main command module en-route and then detach the cockpit to expose the docking bay.

I realized on the launchpad that this meant Bill wouldn't have access to a parachute if something went wrong before we escaped the atmosphere.

I realized about 5km off the ground that my decouplers were irreparably fucked up and the ship was going to crash.  The only hope was for Bill to crawl across the surface of the rocket as it listed to the side and get into the reentry module, then decouple everything and pop the parachutes before we crashed.  It was a suicide mission, but Bill knew that before the rocket was even on the launchpad.

Shoes...

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Bill, Jeb, Bob, and Ringo.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Well, I put Kerbals on Mun.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 03:34:16 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Well, I put Kerbals on Mun.

Spoiler: Hooray? (click to show/hide)
Don't think of this as a failure. Think of it instead as the start of your permanent Mun settlement!
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Jebediah went out searching for the arches.  He died of jetpack overdose under mysterious circumstances.

Now the only thing left is to hit that monopropellant as hard as I can and pray for a miracle.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 330 331 [332] 333 334 ... 848