Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448624 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

lot of fun in gathering science.

currently testing my flying science lab
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

but I had to land halfway trough the pole for a quick nap.

I need to bring one of those to Laythe, somehow. is there a way to simulate flying there on kerbin? like, an altitude map or something at which flying matches.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Layhe has an atmosphere that can be used by airbreathing engines.  So, you can fly with some differences.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Layhe has an atmosphere that can be used by airbreathing engines.  So, you can fly with some differences.
This is one reason I love the thermal turbojet from KSP Interstellar. You can strap a nuclear reactor to it and fly in any atmosphere so long as you have sufficient lift and thrust. It doesn't need to be an oxy atmosphere since it just heats the air and shoots it out the back.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

welp

nothing is better than flying to low duna orbit and back with a ridiculously oversized probe, getting a flyby of ike on the way and 8 material bays/8 goo canisters worth of grade-a science just to land on a seemingly flat coastline which made your ship, otherwise safely equipped with a dozen radial parachutes and four regular ones, flip over and smash itself to pieces in a masterpiece which, i assume, was commented with a solitary "fuck" at the command center

time to build it harder, link the struts better, learn how to do maneuvers faster and make the engines stronger for the work of a kerbal is never over

Space Tape! Space tape everything.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

I just did a manned flyby of Duna. I was short on fuel on the way back, so I didn't have enough to complete Kerbin orbit for safe re-entry. Fortunately, I don't like to do things safely anyway. I ended up simply burning to the left to turn my flight path onto Kerbin, and entered the atmosphere at approximately mach 12. In the end everything was OK.

This game makes for almost as awesome stories as DF.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Sent a science mission to Eve for a landing and transmitting mission (went once before with a simple orbital slingshot). First, I landed on Gilly, scienced the crap out of it. Then, an Eve landing. That single mission netted me 3500 science.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, after last time's failed munar landing attempt/successful munar space-diving attempt, one of my nameless Kermans(I really should remember his name as he's racked up some pretty impressive achievements at this point) managed to land and return from both the Mun and Minmus.

Jeb is still stranded on the Mun. A rescue attempt was hatched using a two part ship launched and rendezvoused in LKO. One was a three seat capsule with a small engine, fuel tank and solar panels to ferry a tiny one person, autonomous lander to the Mun. Fuel was sufficient to get to the Mun but not back, and the Lander suffered the same fate, landing a fair 2 km from Jebediah but not retaining enough fuel to get back into Munar orbit. At the very least Jeb now has a small apartment to wait out rescue in along with some scientific equipment and a radio antenna. His stay on the Mun, I think, just got extended

I now have to figure out someway to refuel Bill's ship after he got stranded in munar orbit after ferrying the lander.

Meanwhile, Bob has taken my space programs first buggy out on a spin of the area immediately surrounding KSC. So far no real scientific advances have been found, but he's had fun and isn't stuck anywhere without air.

Aside from that, I've got a robotic orbiter heading towards Duna which should net me some much needed Science! and let me prepare and practice for sending living things with a chance of actually getting there.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So. Apparently you you can be 3 meters off the ground. And take a soil sample.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

Is there any good way to get a spaceplane from Kerbin to other places, without stopping to refuel at a space station? If not, is there any good way to plain make a space station?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Do different antennae have different functions?

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They transmit with different efficiencies, IIRC.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This doesn't really matter, since you can repeat experiments and transmit them over and over for the same amount of science as 100% efficiency returning them to Kerbin. However, the basic antenna takes less power per broadcast over a slightly longer time; go with this one unless you have a lot of excess electricity.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I think the goo samples need to be reset on EVA, however, so if you're flying a goo-laden probe the extra efficiency might help.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

This doesn't really matter, since you can repeat experiments and transmit them over and over for the same amount of science as 100% efficiency returning them to Kerbin. However, the basic antenna takes less power per broadcast over a slightly longer time; go with this one unless you have a lot of excess electricity.
I don't think they actually change the % sent back; at least I didn't notice a change in that. I think it's just how fast the transmission goes and how much power it draws per packet.

Charmander

• Bay Watcher
  • [!!TAIL!!]
    • View Profile

Well, resources are coming soon, perhaps next update.
In all likelihood we'll get a release of Starbound before we get resources.

And that's a little bit sad.
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 848