Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448874 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

More ugly over-engineering from me. Sub 70 ton "rover". Three crew so far. Kerbals can walk around inside and get to the roof. At the very least it can just drive around Kerbin. Extraplanetary Launchpad could get it on other solar bodies.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It still needs oh so much space tape.

Bonus shot.

Craft file?

Still a work in progress, but sure. Fair warning: little to no symmetry used. Rover wheel symmetry sucks in general. It needs to be built around squares and almost everything is circles. Parts have one connection, which is where the space tape comes in. So much space tape needed. So many ill-fitting parts. I wish Kerbals could climb over ladder edges. Have fun with it, though. Alt+F12 for part clipping is a must. Center of mass is way too high. I bet it flips the moment it hits Mun's surface.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 10:30:38 pm by BigD145 »

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

You can sort of get around those problems by making one part, like just the front, and then copying it over to make the back. Subassemblies probably also make it a ton easier too!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I did that originally. Most of the back was done so I alt-clicked the spine to copy. Now I'm actually tempted to design a dockable version made of four or five parts, two sets of two parts and a crew hub for control. Just quarter the thing. I think KAS or Quantum Struts would be needed.
By the way

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile

Awesome, thanks. I just want to mess with it/see if I could get it to orbit.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Awesome, thanks. I just want to mess with it/see if I could get it to orbit.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. It's almost 600 parts now. If you want a much sturdier version, here you go. 0 is a lighting hotkey.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile

Awesome, thanks. I'm going to try sending this up on the back of my heaviest rocket. We'll see how this goes....

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

I did that originally. Most of the back was done so I alt-clicked the spine to copy. Now I'm actually tempted to design a dockable version made of four or five parts, two sets of two parts and a crew hub for control. Just quarter the thing. I think KAS or Quantum Struts would be needed.
By the way
I love big rovers. Reminds me of my old Falinesti design. What's the top speed and climbing angle on that rover?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Hey does anyone know if there is a Mechjeb compatible with this version? And if so, where to find it? Would like to try it out.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Search the thread for "mechjeb". First or second result should have a link.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Why does everyone take pictures of their rovers at night?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Hey does anyone know if there is a Mechjeb compatible with this version? And if so, where to find it? Would like to try it out.
http://jenkins.mumech.com/job/MechJeb2/

In career mode it attaches after the last autonomous probe tree

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Ok, I have encountered a bit of an engineering problem with my spaceplane.

Specifically, this spaceplane:

As you can see, this being unable to take off is a complete travesty, given that it is the SEXIEST THING IN THE GODDAMN UNIVERSE.

This marvel of engineering was created to bypass a simple flaw in the abilities of our engineers, specifically the inability to put decouplers on jet engines.
To get a better idea of the wonder you are witnessing, here are more pics:

From Behind:

And From Above:

So as you can probably see, the basic idea is that it takes off as a jet, rises as high as possible and then decouples to its atomic engines, which then allow it to travel through space properly.
When it is time for the ship to come home, the ship enters a path toward the atmosphere of its choosing and then AIRDROPS THE SMALLER PLANE FROM ORBIT.

Now on to the actual problem.
The problem I'm having is that the six engines in the back immediately flameout as soon as I attempt to activate them.
It seems to be related to air intake as when I turned the "infinite fuel" cheat on they worked perfectly.
This is despite the rather obvious intakes attached to that stage of the plane.

Anyone know what could be causing this?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

You do realize that the engines you have in the back are aerospikes? Specifically, Toroidal Aerospike Rocket Engines?

They kind of need oxidizer. ;)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

I think this is a hardware problem that can be resolved with software.

Air intake depends on number of intakes and speed.  Flameout depends on air intake and number of engines.  Increase the intakes, increase speed, or reduce the engines.

So here's what you do.  Stage 1 is the two center-rear engines.  Stage 2 is the outermost engines.  Stage 3 is the innermost engines.  Let the first engines start picking up speed, which will increase your airflow, and allow you to turn on more engines...

You could add some radial air intakes, but that would be far too ugly for such a glorious craft!

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

Change the turbojet engine to a toroidal aero spike and turn the toroidal aero spikes into turbojets  :P
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422 423 ... 848