Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443921 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

It's really much less player-time-intensive to use bi-elliptic transfers than waiting for windows for true Hohmann transfers.

A true Hohmann transfer requires that you use a very specific point in your orbit to arrive at the target, and use it at a very specific time to actually arrive at your target. Whereas with a bi-elliptic transfer, if you are significantly in front of, or behind, the target you want, you can tune the time you take to arrive at the target by simply extending or contracting the apoapsis of your bi-elliptic transfer's midpoint.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure that it's going to be impossible for me to get anymore science without Struts and Fuel Lines, D:
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

What'll you do for power?
I'll admit this part slipped my mind on this first try...for now just hoping the Mechjeb unit uses little power.

Lining up the boosters properly is also going to be a pain.
Um....MECHJEB. I'm pretty sure it has autodocking.

Mechjeb does not do any alignment when docking. Default values will have it slamming vehicle against vehicle. Things will bounce around a bit. It'll dock but it's a wild ride and things will be askew.
Dunno what version of Mechjeb you're using, but when I tried it ran extremely well for auto-docking.  Just use [ and ] to swap to the docking target and 'face away from target' (assuming docking port is on backside of rocket) and then swap to the ship moving in to dock, and select the port and run it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

How do I figure out what altitude to make my gravity turns at during launch to LKO?  I have the impression that a small craft should do it around 6 km while a larger one should do it later but haven't found any information on how much later.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What'll you do for power?
I'll admit this part slipped my mind on this first try...for now just hoping the Mechjeb unit uses little power.

Lining up the boosters properly is also going to be a pain.
Um....MECHJEB. I'm pretty sure it has autodocking.

Mechjeb does not do any alignment when docking. Default values will have it slamming vehicle against vehicle. Things will bounce around a bit. It'll dock but it's a wild ride and things will be askew.
Dunno what version of Mechjeb you're using, but when I tried it ran extremely well for auto-docking.  Just use [ and ] to swap to the docking target and 'face away from target' (assuming docking port is on backside of rocket) and then swap to the ship moving in to dock, and select the port and run it.

I am using the latest version. Crafts will dock but mechjeb doesn't care about final alignment when docked.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

IIRC, Mechjeb should list the phase angles somewhere.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

It's really much less player-time-intensive to use bi-elliptic transfers than waiting for windows for true Hohmann transfers.

A true Hohmann transfer requires that you use a very specific point in your orbit to arrive at the target, and use it at a very specific time to actually arrive at your target. Whereas with a bi-elliptic transfer, if you are significantly in front of, or behind, the target you want, you can tune the time you take to arrive at the target by simply extending or contracting the apoapsis of your bi-elliptic transfer's midpoint.
That is actually not a bad idea... I might try that move some time. But the time-compression means that player-time wise it's not that much of an improvement. Using a Hohmann transfer one ideally only needs two burn-moments, where bi-elliptic needs 3, and getting your craft in a specific location in orbit is just a manner of pressing fast-forward a few times.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's just an orbital transfer.  A Homman Transfer is going to a specific orbit at a specific time to intercept another body.  It's an exercise in timing and very mathy to get right, but somewhat possible to eyeball it when you've been playing a few... weeks...

Nope, orbital transfer = Hohman transfer

Wikipedia:
"In orbital mechanics, the Hohmann transfer orbit is an elliptical orbit used to transfer between two circular orbits of different altitudes, in the same plane."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That is actually not a bad idea... I might try that move some time. But the time-compression means that player-time wise it's not that much of an improvement. Using a Hohmann transfer one ideally only needs two burn-moments, where bi-elliptic needs 3, and getting your craft in a specific location in orbit is just a manner of pressing fast-forward a few times.
True, assuming you're in interplanetary space or high enough above something that you can timewarp with impunity. But if you want to start at a specific time, for instance to maximize gain from the Oberth effect or something, it might be useful. A neat little trick to know, in any case. ^_^

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

That's just an orbital transfer.  A Homman Transfer is going to a specific orbit at a specific time to intercept another body.  It's an exercise in timing and very mathy to get right, but somewhat possible to eyeball it when you've been playing a few... weeks...

Wikipedia:
"In orbital mechanics, the Hohmann transfer orbit is an elliptical orbit used to transfer between two circular orbits of different altitudes, in the same plane."
What would NOT be a Homman then?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

An orbital transfer to an orbit with a different anything, except peri/apoapsis. A Hohmann transfer is two "straight ahead" burns. No midcourse corrections, no inclination change, no eccentricity change.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Except that outside of a game with nice clean math, that never happens.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wikipedia:

Like the direct transfer method where you basically just burn towards your target, then burn retrograde halfway, also known as Stupid Transfer... I can't recall the actual name, but someone brought it up in this thread months ago, it's from a sci-fi novel where their ship basically had infinite weightless fuel... so yeah...

Also as Sean said.

Hohmann transfers are the true bread and butter of space travel.

Also, this is not aimed at you, but I've seen a lot of people spelling it Homman, but it's Hohmann.
(I know I misspelled it Hohman before)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh. Newer mechjeb. The pod is back. Now you can be watched. It's also capable of reaching almost 20000 m up on Kerbin all by itself. Top tier experimental research.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 11:17:21 am by BigD145 »

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

Wikipedia:

Like the direct transfer method where you basically just burn towards your target, then burn retrograde halfway, also known as Stupid Transfer... I can't recall the actual name, but someone brought it up in this thread months ago, it's from a sci-fi novel where their ship basically had infinite weightless fuel... so yeah...
It's not all that stupid an idea. I think it's called a "Brachistochrone trajectory".

Also, it's not that the fuel is crazy light, it's that the engine is incredibly efficient at burning it, with the Isp in tens of thousands and can generate quite a lot of power.

It's an entirely plausible concept and incredibly viable in various midfuture hard sci-fi settings (like most of Heinlein's work), it's just that right now we cannot create anything as incredibly efficient as such an engine, so we rely on good ol' Hohmann, our lord and saviour of Orbital Mechanics, to get anywhere..

Although, there is ONE way with which we could achieve such a trajectory with current technology. Or something very much like one.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 11:42:25 am by Krevsin »
Pages: 1 ... 425 426 [427] 428 429 ... 848