Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448824 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Anyone know a good, up-to-date mod that has spherical fuel tanks? Just for aesthetical purposes :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

Anyone know a good, up-to-date mod that has spherical fuel tanks? Just for aesthetical purposes :P

Here.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

Although, there is ONE way with which we could achieve such a trajectory with current technology
Project Orion was a study of a spacecraft intended to be directly propelled by a series of explosions of atomic bombs behind the craft.
Someone mod that part in. I want to see Jebediah on an External Command Seat flying through space with a line of detonating nuclear bombs powering the spaceship from behind.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

It's already been modded, animated pusher plate and all!  At the last I'd heard, it actually still ran on rocket fuel and oxidizer because there wasn't enough framework to add resources.  It was also possible to use to takeoff with, as it didn't care about bombing nukes at the ground :P

In real life, nuclear explosions have been outlawed in space, simply because we don't know what it'll do to the magnetosphere.

Nuclear weapons have also been outlawed to be transported in space - this is to prevent nuclear missile satellites that could start a nuclear war, but the danger there is strictly political as we fear the bombs being dropped on cities.  Bombs in space are a whole other thing.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Here.

Thank you!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's already been modded, animated pusher plate and all!  At the last I'd heard, it actually still ran on rocket fuel and oxidizer because there wasn't enough framework to add resources.  It was also possible to use to takeoff with, as it didn't care about bombing nukes at the ground :P

It's for the .17, I think.

Nuclear weapons have also been outlawed to be transported in space - this is to prevent nuclear missile satellites that could start a nuclear war, but the danger there is strictly political as we fear the bombs being dropped on cities.  Bombs in space are a whole other thing.
Orbital nuclear rocket silos make sense until you consider that there is no stealth in space and that when you launch anything from orbit, it'll be known in a matter of seconds and properly dealth with. There are rockets designed to take down satellites that can be launched from a normal jet fighter for chrissake, so ground-based nuclear silos are much more practical in that they can actually be concealed by the landscape and the fact the rocket won't be visible on radar until it reaches a certain height.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 12:31:23 pm by Krevsin »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

Although, there is ONE way with which we could achieve such a trajectory with current technology. Or something very much like one.

You could also imagine picking up stray atoms during the trip.  There is about 1 stray atom of hydrogen per cubic centimeter in space.  The distance to Alpha Centauri is 4.3 lightyears, or 4*10^18 centimeters.  Create a net 10 kilometers across and the volume of the flux traveled is going to be 4*10^30.  Multiply by an atomic mass of 1.6 *10^-27 kilograms and you are left with a about 6 and a half metric tons of scavenged matter to use.

That's assuming that my math checks out and I didn't drop a power of 10 somewhere.  Gotta run.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Lining up the boosters properly is also going to be a pain.
Um....MECHJEB. I'm pretty sure it has autodocking.

Yeah, but it requires RCS. It's possible to dock manually with liquid engines, but it's really hard.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Although, there is ONE way with which we could achieve such a trajectory with current technology. Or something very much like one.

You could also imagine picking up stray atoms during the trip.  There is about 1 stray atom of hydrogen per cubic centimeter in space.  The distance to Alpha Centauri is 4.3 lightyears, or 4*10^18 centimeters.  Create a net 10 kilometers across and the volume of the flux traveled is going to be 4*10^30.  Multiply by an atomic mass of 1.6 *10^-27 kilograms and you are left with a about 6 and a half metric tons of scavenged matter to use.

That's assuming that my math checks out and I didn't drop a power of 10 somewhere.  Gotta run.
That's called a Bussard Ramjet and it's quite possibly one of the most amazing things ever.

The only bad thing is that the distribution of hydrogen atoms in Earth's local cluster is relatively low when compared to the rest of the universe, making these things incredibly unwieldy here.

Not to mention the fact that they're only getting infinite fuel while on interstellar travels, or travelling at Ludicrous Speedtm. The rest of the time, they have to get by like the rest of us puny mortals and have limited fuel.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Lining up the boosters properly is also going to be a pain.
Um....MECHJEB. I'm pretty sure it has autodocking.

Yeah, but it requires RCS. It's possible to dock manually with liquid engines, but it's really hard.
In this particular case, his nuclear autopilot drives do have RCS.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

Interesting. That sounds reasonable. You'd need cray cray ISP and non-specific fuel to make use of that, though. Ion engines come to mind.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Interesting. That sounds reasonable. You'd need cray cray ISP and non-specific fuel to make use of that, though. Ion engines come to mind.
Eh, Liquid Hydrogen reigns supreme in the propellant department.

The best engines to use would most likely be some sort of a fusion or gas-core nuclear engines due to their large thrust (compared to the puny thrust of an Ion engine)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

Well there's no way you are even going to seriously consider interstellar propulsion without a very high ISP.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/50685-Modular-Base-Creation-Kit

interesting what people do with subassemblies
Reminds me of what I did with robotics awhile ago.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Was fun, but the quickly growing debris field was making it a little to lagy.
Pages: 1 ... 426 427 [428] 429 430 ... 848