Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448429 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #6825 on: November 01, 2013, 02:57:52 am »

If you transit soi at high warp you will get a big error on your flight path
So that explains why the final transit orbit changes all the time after the ejection burn.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #6826 on: November 01, 2013, 04:50:16 am »

QUESTION: If I purchase the game from the website, do I get  DRM-free version, or a steam key?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6827 on: November 01, 2013, 04:54:24 am »

The Steam version is DRM-free.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6828 on: November 01, 2013, 04:55:42 am »

QUESTION: If I purchase the game from the website, do I get  DRM-free version, or a steam key?

Quote from: FAQ
I bought the game on the KSP Store, but I want it on Steam. Will you give me a Steam Key?

Yes, we now offer the choice to transfer KSP purchases from before the game was available on Steam, note that this process is OPTIONAL and IRREVERSIBLE. If you transfer your purchase to Steam, you will no longer be able to download or update the game from the KSPStore, but also nobody's forcing you to go to Steam, if you opt not to transfer, you can still download and update the game as usual. To move to Steam, log in to your KSPStore profile and you will find the button to start the process next to your download link. Again please note that you will only be eligible for a transfer if you purchased the game before it was on Steam, no exceptions, please don't insist.

I bought the game on Steam, but I want it on the KSP Store as well. Would you activate my account for download?

No, sorry, the migration will not work that way. If you bought the game on Steam, you will only have it on Steam. To get it in the KSP Store too, you will have to purchase it here. Do keep in mind that the Steam version is DRM free, so it can be played offline as well, so you're really not missing out on anything with the Steam version instead of the KSP Store one.

This seems to imply that the website shop is non-steam. However, the steam version is DRM free, so there's no real reason not to buy it there. ((Save from the fact that it earns Squad a few more cents, that is.))

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6829 on: November 01, 2013, 06:00:04 am »

Errr.... Steam itself *is* DRM by pretty much any definition. That's why I'm interested in knowing whether I can get it outside of steam or not. But yeah, it seems their website provides DRM versions as per your quote.

(Besides, I do like to avoid middlement for precisedly the reason you stated. If I'm going to support indies, might as well go all the way)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6830 on: November 01, 2013, 06:01:55 am »

Errr.... Steam itself *is* DRM by pretty much any definition. That's why I'm interested in knowing whether I can get it outside of steam or not...
I'm not sure how to make it clearer, but the KSP you download through steam has NO DRM. Zero. You could copy the folder and send it to someone and it would work fine. With most steam games they have inserted code which makes it not run if you are not logged in to steam and own the game.

So yes, you can get it outside of steam. We answered you. You can also get it IN steam. Either way there is no DRM.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6831 on: November 01, 2013, 06:03:27 am »

Steam isn't DRM. It's a distribution platform, with a built-in overlay that allows games access to its functions, including DRM and cheat prevention.

Key word being "allows". Games are free to use Steam solely as a distribution platform, without using Steam integration. Which is what KSP does.

Besides, what few cents you give Squad by purchasing the game from their store, you more than likely take back in bandwidth you drain off their update servers, instead of Valve's update servers.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 06:06:10 am by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6832 on: November 01, 2013, 06:04:08 am »

Some people just dislike steam for whatever reason.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6833 on: November 01, 2013, 06:56:52 am »

And you can still buy it from Squad directly and then transfer to Steam, if you like.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6834 on: November 01, 2013, 06:59:49 am »

And you can still buy it from Squad directly and then transfer to Steam, if you like.
"Again please note that you will only be eligible for a transfer if you purchased the game before it was on Steam, no exceptions, please don't insist."

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #6835 on: November 01, 2013, 07:01:32 am »

Like me!

I dunno if I would want to transfer though. What's the benefits? What's the drawbacks? :o

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6836 on: November 01, 2013, 07:03:49 am »

Like me!

I dunno if I would want to transfer though. What's the benefits? What's the drawbacks? :o
For me the benefit is having all of my games available through one platform and having them update in the background without me worrying about it.

The drawback is I guess if you don't like steam.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6837 on: November 01, 2013, 07:26:16 am »

"Again please note that you will only be eligible for a transfer if you purchased the game before it was on Steam, no exceptions, please don't insist."
Welp, guess I missed that.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6838 on: November 01, 2013, 07:30:15 am »

I think I've said before (though I don't remember if it was here or on the game's forum). For a game with no DRM, no achievements (not even planned ones), no Steam integration, and with known troubles with updating as masses of people try to download from an oft-overloaded server, there is literally not a single reason not to have the game on Steam. You can even, if you want to support the devs, buy multiple copies of the game, then give them out to friends or just raffle them off. You literally don't even have to have Steam running unless you want to update.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6839 on: November 01, 2013, 07:47:27 am »

If you transit soi at high warp you will get a big error on your flight path
Thank you.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: 1 ... 454 455 [456] 457 458 ... 848