Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448668 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7005 on: November 07, 2013, 09:34:06 am »

I usually use an ASAS on my lander stage.  MOST times, my lander is light enough that when landing on Mun or even Duna, the ASAS torque is enough to lift it off the ground.  Mechjeb helps here, as I can instruct it "point directly to the sky" and it'll do so, then I extend landing legs and let it settle.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7006 on: November 07, 2013, 09:35:00 am »

I don't see any RCS thrusters on your final stage.

That's a really good point, I appear to have forgotten the RCS thruster. Well, ship's launched already, but I'll definitely think about it for the MkII.

I am more curious as to how is he going to separate the lower stage with no decoupler. :P

Ooops, apparently I plugged in a SAS instead of adecoupler. Well, I'll use the time-honoured method of blowing up your lower stage with your engine.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7007 on: November 07, 2013, 09:37:28 am »

The 909 won't be able to blow up a reaction wheel unit. It just doesn't generate enough heat.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7008 on: November 07, 2013, 09:49:14 am »

I use 4 symmetry thanks and engines on the descent stage, since the new leg made impossible for me to manage to land upright

Then I simply shut down the two top engines and let the torque from the bottom one lifting me upright.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7009 on: November 07, 2013, 10:00:05 am »

Actually I didn't even get to try to blow up the link with the 909. Since inerty wheel let fuel through, all my lander's fuel was burnt by my penultimate stage.

Well, at least Jebediah wasn't killed by the fiery remains of the rescue mission. Time for another attempt.

P.S. My launcher is so overpowered that I actually went to the moon without the central engine of my asparagus stalk.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7010 on: November 07, 2013, 11:28:52 am »

Interest check: anyone up for a modded bay 12 kksp reality edition 2?

This time we can do it proper using
Antenna network to transmit science requiring satellites and stuff
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/56399-0-22-Remote-Tech-2-Build-those-satellite-networks%21

Realistic tech tree starting with planes requiring to grind biomes for science, courtesy of treeloader's traditional tech tree
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/53192-0-22-TreeLoader-Custom-Career-Tech-tree-Loader-1-0

Far and deadly reentry, to make it proper, and mechjeb that now unlocks progressively along the thech tree
How about TAC crew support mod?

Yeah, it's not 0.22 yet, but it can easily be updated...

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7011 on: November 07, 2013, 11:46:29 am »

Mission is an half success. I landed on the moon, ~20km from Jebediah, but he then killed himself trying to EVA-Jump to the ship. Now I'm stuck in orbit of Kerbin with not enough fuel: I have to EVA and push the ship. I estimate I'll need ~20 more EVA tank before hitting Kerbin's atmosphere.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7012 on: November 07, 2013, 11:52:43 am »

You'd probably be better off making another ship with a cradle capable of pushing the orbiting ship into the atmosphere. Or just go pick up Jeb.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7013 on: November 07, 2013, 11:55:55 am »

You'd probably be better off making another ship with a cradle capable of pushing the orbiting ship into the atmosphere. Or just go pick up Jeb.
Problem there, is you end up running in 1x time because it REALLY doesn't handle collision and warp.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7014 on: November 07, 2013, 11:59:59 am »

Yeah, my peristuff is still over 1m km. Time for operation "Let's push stuff with rockets, nothing could go wrong!".

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7015 on: November 07, 2013, 12:25:25 pm »

Problem is the relay network command station requires a crew of 6. We can do without either, but it would become a full time job just keeping those green things alive if we go for both, and relay network is really useful for making this a collaborative game (no network and you will not be able of transmitting juicy science back so missions won't be possible to run as a standalone sequence of solo runs)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7016 on: November 07, 2013, 01:05:21 pm »

Well, went to Mun. The first Kerbal to go there managed to die due to a miscalculated lift off. He ran out of fuel without me noticing and hadn't managed to get into Orbit yet. Oops. RIP Dermin.

Jeb went next. I'd modified the rocket design a bit based on the science the first Mun mission netted me. Turns out it was worse for fuel efficiency, so while Jeb landed safe he definitely doesn't have enough fuel to get back. So he's kicking it on the Mun while I design a rescue rocket.

Oh, well, what's KSP without at least one 'Rescue Jeb' mission, eh?

At least the science from his landing got me the 3-man crew pod, so getting him into the rescue ship will at least be straightforward.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7017 on: November 07, 2013, 01:30:09 pm »

Problem is the relay network command station requires a crew of 6. We can do without either, but it would become a full time job just keeping those green things alive if we go for both, and relay network is really useful for making this a collaborative game (no network and you will not be able of transmitting juicy science back so missions won't be possible to run as a standalone sequence of solo runs)
Ah, I understand.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7018 on: November 07, 2013, 01:45:10 pm »

So the more planets mod finally happened and it's pretty awesome.

Problem is, the DL was removed for legal reasons. I managed to snag it before it was removed though, and I'm going to give it a shot. I'll let everyone know how it goes!

EDIT: rbray updated his cloud mod to work with the new planets! Now I really can't wait until I get home...

EDIT2: It's still available on reddit for those that care.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 02:36:05 pm by Glloyd »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7019 on: November 07, 2013, 01:46:51 pm »

Yay!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 848