Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 471 472 [473] 474 475 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448170 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7080 on: November 09, 2013, 05:17:12 am »

I think calling it a planet is generous...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7081 on: November 09, 2013, 05:21:47 am »

It's the cotangent function. cot(x) = 1/tan(x)

Oh right, thanks for clearing that up

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7082 on: November 09, 2013, 05:36:13 am »

Does it work on Earth? o_O

remotely related http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAhQyBLxgu4

Holy shit, they should get that guy to rewrite the ASAS system :)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7083 on: November 09, 2013, 07:04:42 am »

Let g be the planet's gravitation at your current position, ω be the planet's rotation speed (in radians per time unit), R be the distance from the center of mass to your landing position, α be the global latitude, and β be the local latitude (the angle between the equator and your local surface normal).
To keep staying on the ground without hooks, you need an acceleration of at least ω²Rcos(α) to the axis of rotation. Let's put this in a coordinate system so we can use 2D vectors. The acceleration required is a1 = (-ω²Rcos(α), 0), and the planet's gravity provides a2 = (-gcos(α), -gsin(α)). The difference a1 - a2 = (gcos(α)-ω²Rcos(α), gsin(α)) needs to be covered by surface friction. For this to be possible, we need tan(ß) to be greater than (ω²R/g - 1)cot(α). For α=ß (landing on a horizontal surface), we get tan²(α) > ω²R/g - 1, or cos²(α) < g/ω²R.

In case of Inaccessable, g = 1.18 m/s², ω=0.0143, R = 15000, so you can only stay on horizontal surfaces in latitudes greater than around 52°, although you'll need to go at least above 75° unless you have a buttload of friction to spare.

/physics
Addendum: Note that if your craft doesn't have reaction wheels, you also need to consider the tipover angle of your craft, since your craft could simply decide to tip over instead of sliding. If γ denotes the tipover angle of your craft (90° meaning that the craft is completely flat on the ground and won't tip over at all, 0° meaning that it's just balancing on one leg), we get tan(ß+γ-90°)>(ω²R/g - 1)cot(α), and if we set γ=45° (a common value) and α=ß, we get α=73°, so if your craft would tip over on a 45° inclined plane, you would definitely need to go above 73° latitude.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7084 on: November 09, 2013, 07:17:23 am »

which (unmodded) planed gives the highest science multiplyer?

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7086 on: November 09, 2013, 12:24:43 pm »

Anyone tryed the KMP (multiplayer) mod ?
I'm really thinking to buy this game but still not sure is it for me.
I like more of coop and multiplayer games rather than playing my self :)

But looks so dang fun :)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7087 on: November 09, 2013, 12:25:29 pm »

The mod is still pretty buggy and unstable.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7088 on: November 09, 2013, 12:58:16 pm »

I wonder if there is a way to mod the Kerbal Engineering Flowchart into the VAB?
Seems so appropriate!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7089 on: November 09, 2013, 01:11:35 pm »

This is probably not the game for you, unless you are willing to play solo and have fun playing solo.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7090 on: November 09, 2013, 01:25:49 pm »

It is however a great game to have a friend over and play, since the game play is not about pushing buttons at just the right time(like shooters etc).
Rather the game play is about figuring out how to do stuff, and this can be much fun with a friend.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7091 on: November 09, 2013, 01:27:04 pm »

Today I did something quite silly: I made a reaction wheel roller:

Does it work on Earth? o_O

Yeah, I did say I tested it on Kerbin (earth). It performs fairly well there, but won't be going anywhere fast if you don't strap it to a rocket/plane to transport it to the desired location.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7092 on: November 09, 2013, 01:31:03 pm »

How stable / efficient is it compared to a traditional rover>
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7093 on: November 09, 2013, 01:32:10 pm »

extraplanetary launchpads, was it?

it uses the kethane framework for a lot of stuff so it's like a plugin for a plugin
Yep, this. Though I was really sad to find out that you can only launch from its launchpads on the ground. I was hoping to have an orbital construction station.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7094 on: November 09, 2013, 01:42:12 pm »

Why is this game so hard ;_;

I almost landed on Mun with only the second level of tech [the first part that branches into the three main ones] but botched my final landing job...

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF all my science is now sprawled on the Mun.

I love how KSP actually has gotten incredibly better in the last couple years. I thoroughly enjoy this. Any mod packs out there that aren't game-breaking [i.e. Tech tree integration, and not just a magic booster wankfest with infinite fuel]?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 471 472 [473] 474 475 ... 848