Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448377 times)

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7380 on: November 20, 2013, 10:58:21 am »

Asking if you have enough RAM isn't really a useful question.  As long as you have more than, say, 4 GB or so you're probably as good as anyone else, provided you're not running anything else at the same time.  KSP is 32-bit*, so it can't even address more than 2 GB of RAM.

*Yes, there is a 64-bit build for Linux, but it crashes constantly.  I use Linux myself and I still run the 32-bit build because it's that bad.

EDIT: Actually it can use something near 4 GB, not 2 GB.  My mistake.  So I guess six gigs total would give you 2 GB for anything else while using 4 GB for KSP.  Anything more than that is extra.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 01:33:44 pm by Canisaur »

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7381 on: November 20, 2013, 11:02:22 am »

Asking if you have enough RAM isn't really a useful question.  As long as you have more than, say, 4 GB or so you're probably as good as anyone else, provided you're not running anything else at the same time.  KSP is 32-bit*, so it can't even address more than 2 GB of RAM.

*Yes, there is a 64-bit build for Linux, but it crashes constantly.  I use Linux myself and I still run the 32-bit build because it's that bad.

He is refering to this:
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55469-A-Quick-Flowchart-to-Mod-or-Not-to-Mod

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7382 on: November 20, 2013, 01:03:14 pm »

Well crap...I don't want to have to pick-and-choose my mods :(
I WANTS DEMS ALLS.
Also Scott Manley managed with all these so its obviously POSSIBLE.
I just have no idea how to do that.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7383 on: November 20, 2013, 01:33:57 pm »

It do need to look tolerable, though. I mean there are missing faces on the bin mesh, with a horrible green texture.
you can try using this instead of the kethane tanks. May make it a bit more manageable to look at.

I use the 64-bit version, and it is rock solid. Have you used the bit-patch?

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7384 on: November 20, 2013, 01:38:13 pm »

Well crap...I don't want to have to pick-and-choose my mods :(
I WANTS DEMS ALLS.
Also Scott Manley managed with all these so its obviously POSSIBLE.
I just have no idea how to do that.

A lot of RAM-heavy mods are usually that way because of textures, and a lot of those will include a low-res texture set.  If you use the low-res textures you can run more mods without running out of RAM space, maybe he's doing that.

Tyyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7385 on: November 20, 2013, 02:49:18 pm »

B9 has a reduced texture size option in the newest pack. Use that. Also, go through your mods and delete bits and pieces you don't need. Seriously ask yourself if you'll ever use a part. If the answer is no then delete it. I take an axe to a lot of KW and Nova Punch parts because I don't need them and leaving them in clogs the game up.

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7386 on: November 20, 2013, 03:04:17 pm »

I use the 64-bit version, and it is rock solid. Have you used the bit-patch?

Err, no?  I've never heard of anything, and Google fails me.  Do you have a link or something?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it, I think.  The original thread that he posted it in died with the KSP forum crash, but I think I found the code.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 04:18:58 pm by Canisaur »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7387 on: November 20, 2013, 04:27:03 pm »

It do need to look tolerable, though. I mean there are missing faces on the bin mesh, with a horrible green texture.
you can try using this instead of the kethane tanks. May make it a bit more manageable to look at.

The Kethane mod parts look fine. It's the ore/metal mining parts from the EXP-Launchpads that look terrible. The launchpad looks fine, it's just these:

Are quite jarring. I don't see them as parts of a processing facility, I see them as poor 3D models attached to an otherwise believable-seeming ship. I don't get why they look so bad, the auger and ore detector look fine. But as they are required to actually build the ships for the extra launch pads, they break the whole mod for me.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7388 on: November 20, 2013, 05:31:23 pm »

I've begun playing this again pretty heavily lately, and have some general how-to questions. 

First, an observation:  I'm playing stock, in career mode.  having limited access to parts and a method (science) of getting incremental access to more parts makes the game vastly more fun for me than it was before.  Now, I have an objective to shoot for rather than just building the biggest craziest things possible and watching them explode.

On to the questions:

1 - multi-parachute landings of large objects:

I dont have much available in the way of RCS yet, so I'm adding stability by placing multiple capsules at the top of my rockets.  This has the added advantage of allowing me to bring home multiple soil samples and EVA reports from each trip.

I'm having some problems with parachuting these things back to the ground.  Say I've got a 9-capsule cluster at the top of a rocket, the parachutes tend to pull the thing upside down during landing.  I can combat this by landing with SAS enabled, but it is still a struggle to consistantly get it to the ground safely.

Any tips?

2 - launch stability for tall rockets:

I've got some pretty good lifters made out of the basic entry-level (all the level 4 tech, some of the level 5) parts, and they are stable enough once they are under thrust.  But, because they are long and skinny, they wobble a bit on the launch pad.  I can put those big red cranes on there to stabilize them, but then there is about a 20% chance that a lower stage will whack into an upper crane while the thing is on its way up.

Is there a way to combat this?  Is there a way to force a crane to stand further away from the rocket, to avoid being hit by lower stage boosters?

Do I just need to leave symmetric gaps in the booster arrangement, to account for the presence of cranes?  I'd rather adjust the crane position, if possible.

3 - Is there any benefit to planting flags?  They dont seem to create any research and instead clutter up my map.  Is it just a RP function?

4 - Excessively Heavy Lifters.  Any tips?  I've looked at some heavy lift examples, and most are pretty traditional rocket stacks -- most use the big yellow tanks that I dont have access to yet.  I saw someone had posted a picture of an air-breathing SSTO VTOL lifter, basically a ring of rockets that lifted a tank straight up.  Is this feasable?  was he cheating?

I tried a variant on that design, and about half the engines exploded when they got to a certain altitude.  I was expecting that flame-out meant they just went out when they didnt have enough air, and then would kick back in if they ever dipped back into the atmosphere.  They totally exploded instead.

I've tried making massive rocket rings by using 8x symmetry and angling out boosters in a giant cone or inverted V, and then turning each of the 8 into clusters of 7.  Unfortuneatly, I cant use the 6x symmetry on top of the existing 8x, so I need to sort of eyeball the subassemblies and they tend to end up slightly unbalanced.

What's the best way to cluster an absurd amount of thrust in your first stage?  Without making giant pancakes of solid boosters, I mean.

5 - speaking of SSTOs, I take it there is no real way to "recover" a rocket for future use?  There is the "recover" button, but it is not like it brings the slightly damaged version back to your hanger to be refit -- it just cleans it up from the map and gives you the science and pilot back.  Is there any real way to "re-use" a lift vehicle at this point in the game, or is that still a planned feature?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7389 on: November 20, 2013, 05:38:33 pm »

1: SAS thingies. They just add stability for power.
2: Launch clamps. They are big, red, immobile and under structural
3. Not really. More of a "I went here allready" than a "EXTRA GUFF".
4: Air intakes are nuts my friend. Jets can be quitepowerful, just dont let them flare out.
5: You can always just refuel it. I dont know if there is a way to transfer experiments, but you always could store them in a capsule you drop off when you return and then shove a new one on.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7390 on: November 20, 2013, 05:41:06 pm »

1. Position your parachutes so that the center of mass/gravity of the lander is below them.
2. Faraday cage. Faraday cage everything. Alternatively, radial beams that decouple in flight. Combine these with launch clamps.
3. They help mark out areas you've already explored.
4. There's always the Asparagus design. Scaling it up is usually done laterally. All you need are some fuel tanks and fuel ducts.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7391 on: November 20, 2013, 05:43:07 pm »

I agree with the above things.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7392 on: November 20, 2013, 06:03:07 pm »

wait, what is a Faraday Cage in this context?  I'm pretty sure its not an electrically conductive cage to divert EM signals and prevent eavesdropping.

Do you mean building a giant detachable shell around my rocket, like some sort of crazy pantyhose egg?  How do you hold it together, with struts?  I've never run struts between stages before, do they detatch when you decouple the stages or will they tangle stuff up?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7393 on: November 20, 2013, 06:09:02 pm »

When the two ends of a strut become separate items (staging, or breaking off) then the strut disappears.  Additionally, struts are purely visual, there is no actual collision mesh on them.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #7394 on: November 20, 2013, 06:45:34 pm »

Shoot. My Moho mission widely missed. I was able to get within 300k km of the planet, but I was 6000m/s short of an orbit. a shame.
Still got a fair bit of science by doing and transmitting goo stuff while in not-orbit, so not a complete failure.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig
Pages: 1 ... 491 492 [493] 494 495 ... 848