Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443870 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7410 on: November 22, 2013, 03:41:15 pm »

X is okay for multiple parts on top of each other to shore things up.

[] []
  x
[] []

Imagine the left set is connected vertically (ditto on right set), so use an x for top left to bottom right.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7411 on: November 22, 2013, 03:49:08 pm »

I'm not sure struts even add weight.  I've heard that they do in VAB, but on the platform they're counted as 0-mass, as are air intakes.

That said, I usually do fine with single struts.  The real key is placement, not amount, of struts.  In general, reaching further away makes struts better, for some reason.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7412 on: November 22, 2013, 03:53:41 pm »

I'm not sure struts even add weight.  I've heard that they do in VAB, but on the platform they're counted as 0-mass, as are air intakes.

That said, I usually do fine with single struts.  The real key is placement, not amount, of struts.  In general, reaching further away makes struts better, for some reason.

struts have no weight and don't even have collision meshes

i have no idea what's the thing with air intakes, but i've seen it written in this here thread that landing gear has no weight also, but has half a ton each in vab which causes com issues

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7413 on: November 22, 2013, 04:06:37 pm »

X is okay for multiple parts on top of each other to shore things up.

This is exactly the kind of thing I usually do.  What I'm wondering is if something like this will work just as well:

A I usually truss up rings of boosters or fuel tanks like this:

Code: [Select]
[] [] []
  X  X
[] [] []

Code: [Select]
[] [] []

[]-[]-[]

Assuming the tanks are also anchored at the top, placing a reinforcing strut at the bottom should be just as good?  It SEEMS just as good in some simple tests, but I have not tried it on anything absurdly massive yet.

But if it really is zero-mass, I guess its a moot point.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7414 on: November 22, 2013, 04:27:45 pm »

It's a part, so it's not a moot point. It still has to be calculated. I'll put one strut at the bottoms of booster clusters just to keep them from flapping about. The boosters aren't there for long.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7415 on: November 22, 2013, 05:05:20 pm »

Even if they aren't zero-mass, they aren't zero-polygons, so reducing strut count might improve the game's performance when launching enormous rockets.

I recently crash-landed a lander on Laythe. Kerbal survived and can get in and out of his capsule, but all the science equipment, engines, and power generators were lost. Technically, I think the science equipment and power generators might still exist and be in functional condition, but they clipped through the terrain and landed in the water 300 meters below the rest of the lander. Whole incident occured because the damn science module got ripped off when the parachutes deployed, leaving too few chutes to slow the lander, resulting in it crashing into the ground just fast enough to ruin everything but the capsule and two of the fuel tanks which the capsule is attached to.

Here's what the situation looks like for him:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

all goes well, I will eventually be able to rescue him.

I also made my first successful, non-crashy, reasonably-controllable airplane:

And got Bob stuck on the deck of a very large rover:

He fell off the ladder while it was in motion and couldn't get up. The rover simply never stopped roving.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7416 on: November 22, 2013, 05:19:41 pm »

I think KAS would allow you to pick up your equipment if it was still close enough to your Kerbal.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7417 on: November 22, 2013, 05:23:14 pm »

I think KAS would allow you to pick up your equipment if it was still close enough to your Kerbal.
I think at this point, he just needs to get a new rocket over.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7418 on: November 22, 2013, 05:46:59 pm »

Nah. Just needs more duct tape.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7419 on: November 22, 2013, 06:44:00 pm »

okay, riddle me this ye smart peoples:

If I have an ASAS (controls engine gimbal, reaction wheels, RCS thrusters, and control surfaces) does that completely supersede the SAS?

If I have a command module with a SAS (all of them, right?) why would I need a dedicated SAS rather than in in-line reaction wheel?

When is there a reason to buy a SAS?

Related:  I take it there is no component that will vary the output of different engines to control your trajectory?  Many twin engine aircraft work this way, and I would assume that it would be a viable rocket feature as well?

Related to Related:  Jet engines should generate torque in the direction of their rotation, creating interesting turning characteristics, or requiring them to be balanced in some way.  piston engines have counter-balancers in them, so I'm guessing single-engine jets must have some sort of counter-balancer also?  but Counter-Rotating engines would off set each other, so maybe each engine can be lighter and more efficient that way?

I remember WWII aircraft had different maneuvering profiles depending on their engine setup, and some of the old computer games simulated this to some extent (easier to bank one way than the other)

I'm not an aerospace engineer, but I'm about to go have beers with one so I'll ask him about this.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7420 on: November 22, 2013, 07:31:11 pm »

Nah. Just needs more duct tape.

Unfortunately she's right: KAS isn't going to save a kerbal who's equipment is stuck in the rocks 300 meters below him. When I said it clipped through the terrain and landed in the water, I meant it's currently underground! I also didn't have KAS installed already so I don't have a parts bucket to use for repairs. And if I did bring one, it probably would have exploded as well. :P

I am planning to do another mission to Laythe with a lander that can hopefully land and extract poor Milkin from the surface, but currently I'm stumped as to how to produce a lander that can reliably do so. Landing on and taking off from objects without an atmosphere is sooo much easier :C
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7421 on: November 22, 2013, 07:34:06 pm »

You could always just drop a toolbox of supplies and call it a one way trip.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7422 on: November 22, 2013, 07:44:20 pm »

ASAS is VERY strong SAS, as well as controlling all the other stuff.
SAS is a lighter weight and less costly option than ASAS.
Jet engines probably should act very differently.  But this is rocket science where you point in generally the right direction and eyeball it.  jet engines generating torque and thrust would become complicated and less fun.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7423 on: November 22, 2013, 08:45:04 pm »

Made my first kethane base/thing what goes on a planetoid and isn't meant to take off afterward today.

I did it like this, but I didn't use MechJeb1 my payload was an entire 2.5 meter kethane container with miscellaneous stuff attached to make it more roverlike2 which I built front-to-back and had to be dropped sideways, I did it on minmus and also I did it at night in the dark. It took me, like, 8 tries, hehe.

1The landing autopilot wouldn't work due to the fact that I'm not actually landing and the translatron had no goddamn idea what to do with my two thermal rockets, apparently.

2Wheels on the bottom, two kethane miners at the sides (one upside-down because I didn't really think of the implications of building the rover sideways) and a large solar panel and landing leg on top. Just the one landing leg so that it wouldn't turn the wrong way when I dropped it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7424 on: November 22, 2013, 08:57:09 pm »

What's the mod that uses satellite bouncing and communications arrays and whatnot?
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 848