Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448553 times)

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7485 on: November 27, 2013, 04:46:21 pm »

B9 eats up a ton of memory. You can download lower res textures for it somewhere IIRC.

EDIT: If you have the Planet Factory mod, that eats up a fair amount of memory too.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7486 on: November 27, 2013, 04:55:58 pm »

The low res stock mod I think has a B9 pack, but those are all out of date and don't hit every part.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7487 on: November 27, 2013, 05:01:45 pm »

B9 comes with its own low-res.  It's included in the .zip as a different folder, where you just merge it and overwrite everything.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7488 on: November 28, 2013, 03:31:42 pm »

B9 eats up a ton of memory. You can download lower res textures for it somewhere IIRC.

EDIT: If you have the Planet Factory mod, that eats up a fair amount of memory too.

I uninstalled Planet Factory specifically because it was already using 3 GB of memory before I installed Kethane.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7489 on: November 30, 2013, 12:43:49 pm »

Is there a decent non-video guide to rendezvous and/or docking? because none seem to exist and I've been trying to rendezvous for over a fucking hour.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7490 on: November 30, 2013, 12:47:24 pm »

Is there a decent non-video guide to rendezvous and/or docking? because none seem to exist and I've been trying to rendezvous for over a fucking hour.
After brute forcing it several times I just use mechjeb to set up the maneuver for me and I fly it manually.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7491 on: November 30, 2013, 12:51:05 pm »

Have you blown everything up yet?

And I think that the game itself may, perhaps, dunno have one.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7492 on: November 30, 2013, 02:23:51 pm »

How to rendezvous:
First, get into orbit around the same body as your target. Now find your target on the map, click on it and press "Select as target". Now get into a circular orbit that is parallel to your target's orbit (but not at the same altitude, that's a fucking stupid thing and people should stop recommending that). To get exactly parallel, do a tiny burn at the ascending or descending node. Now use a Hohmann transfer orbit (like you would to get to the Mun) to try to hit the target (a 10km closest distance will do fine). When you're done with the first transfer burn, put a marker node at the point of intersection and align your planned path to the target's path. Now write down (or memorize) the estimated burn time T_burn and turn your craft to the blue marker beforehand (word of warning ahead, we'll not actually be using the blue marker to burn). When you're approaching the target, click the green text above the navball until it shows "Target" instead of "Surface" or "Orbit". Then the yellow text and markers will show your speed relative to the target, not the body you're orbiting about. Turn to the yellow retrograde marker (if you did stuff right, it should be really close to the blue prograde marker), and at exactly T minus T_burn/2, burn to that yellow marker until you have 0 m/s relative velocity (displayed above the navball). Then turn your ship to almost directly face your target (one of the pink markers, be careful that you don't face exactly towards the target unless you like explosions), burn just a little bit, turn your ship around to the retrograde yellow marker, wait until your distance to the target starts to increase again, then burn back to 0 m/s relative velocity. Repeat until you have around 30 m distance. There, you have a rendezvous.

How to dock:
First, have a rendezvous with your target (obviously). Now focus on your docking ship, right-click on the target ship's docking port that you want to connect to and choose the "Target Docking Port" option.

If you don't have RCS thrusters:
First make sure that you have absolutely no observable relative velocity (try and make your yellow markers vanish). Switch to the target ship, select your docking ship as target and the target ship's own docking port as "Control from here", then turn the target ship towards the docking ship so the navball crosshairs line up exactly with the pink marker. Now switch back to the docking ship, select the target ship's docking port as target, select your own docking port to "Control from here", then turn your own ship exactly towards the target (the navball is your friend again). Now accelerate a fraction of a smidgeon, and your docking ship should slide exactly into the target docking port.

If you do have RCS thrusters and a RCS fuel tank:
Don't turn RCS on yet, but keep SAS on. Use WASDQE to rotate your ship so the docking ports are parallel. Now turn your view so you can see the back of your ship. Use Q and E to rotate your ship until D would turn your ship to the right. Now make sure that your ship is parallel to the other docking port again, and stop all rotation. Now turn RCS on. Don't switch to docking mode, it's not actually easier to use than staging mode. Now the IJKL buttons will accelerate your ship down, left, up and right respectively, and H and N will thrust your ship forwards and backwards respectively. Now simply move your ship in line with the docking port with IJKL (if you are on the wrong side of the target ship, you'll need to move to the other side first), cancel all sideways motion (the target ship's screen marker is your friend, look at how it moves to see how you are moving relative to it) and peck H to slowly float into the docking port. A word of advice here, take your damn time when using RCS translation: the more time you use, the less RCS fuel you'll need, and it's much easier to control that way.

Note: Even if you have RCS thrusters, you can still use the first method, or even a combination of both (first rotate both crafts, then use RCS to dock). That's probably the easiest method of all.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 04:46:19 pm by MagmaMcFry »

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7493 on: November 30, 2013, 02:32:44 pm »

I've not tried them myself, but if a video tutorial isn't working, and text isn't clear enough:
http://kerbalspaceport.com/docking-tutorial/
http://kerbalspaceport.com/rendezvous-tutorial/
A couple of in-game tutorials have been made - in the same format as the tutorial missions included with the game.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7494 on: November 30, 2013, 04:22:22 pm »

I love you, Magma McFry. Bookmarked.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7495 on: November 30, 2013, 09:35:36 pm »

This Scott Manley video taught me to rendezvous and dock.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7496 on: December 01, 2013, 03:45:04 am »

I've not tried them myself, but if a video tutorial isn't working, and text isn't clear enough:
http://kerbalspaceport.com/docking-tutorial/
http://kerbalspaceport.com/rendezvous-tutorial/
A couple of in-game tutorials have been made - in the same format as the tutorial missions included with the game.
i used these they are awsome

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7497 on: December 01, 2013, 05:08:54 am »

I am starting a new game with Mission Controller.
I got Kethane, FAR, Proc. Fairings, Enh. Navball and KAS

Any other suggestions that goes well with MC?

EDIT: I can't click the settings button with MC installed ???!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 05:18:26 am by ank »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7498 on: December 01, 2013, 10:27:34 am »

Mission Controller is not scaled for any mods. Don't end up with a negative balance. Make ships that can do multiple missions. Don't hesitate to use multiple packages.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7499 on: December 01, 2013, 11:56:08 am »

I dunno if playing in career mode was a mistake, coz i can't do the sputnik IV with my current tech.
I wonder if I can repeat some missions for science?
Pages: 1 ... 498 499 [500] 501 502 ... 848