Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 [566] 567 568 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443928 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Update on the "Attache" docking incident:

So I redid Jebs orbital insertion in a craft that actually worked as intended and then sent BILNAND KERMAN (a recent, and currently the only, graduate of Kerbal academy) up to do the rendezvous.

Spoiler: Best. Docking. Ever. (click to show/hide)

As you can see, there were some complications. I found that adjusting to the RCS piloting wasn't happening, so mostly I just got them semi-lined up and then used the engine to drive under the other ship, with the backwards thrusters (the only ones that I seem to have mastered) as my quick means of slowing this mess down.

As you can ALSO see, I decided to take BOTH crafts through the atmosphere WHILE DOCKED.
Did it work? Well....

Spoiler: Yes and No (click to show/hide)

Luckily that's not too big of a problem, and the mission completed anyway!
Spoiler: Mission Accomplish (click to show/hide)
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow, payouts got upped. Good.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

What mod is that?

Also:
Spoiler: Bye bye, Kerbin! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Wheee! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 08:35:30 am by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Danny's cannons sound like fun.

It takes a very special kind of kerbal to test something like this, but we have one up to the task!

It explodes. Lengan is okay, though!

A redesign adds more LSEs (three along the bottom, including one right behind it). That one explodes, too. I note that the problem seems to be coming from the Mainsail detaching itself from the Radial Attachment Point. Solution: Add a Rockomax Adaptor in between, and attach two LSEs to that.
It does not explode! Moreover, Jebediah (wait, I thought I sent the other guy...) gets an excellent flight...

He gets nearly five kilometers away from the cannon before splashing down. I call that a partial success! Next step: How much would it take to launch something with such a cannon?
Let's start with a small projectile the expendable than a kerbonaut. Pretty expendable, then.

Looks good.

That probe made it about as high as Jeb did, but only got a couple kilometers away and it glid back to about 1.6 kilometers away before crashing. I'll stick to kerbonauts, I guess. Now, how to orbit them?

Five billion meters from the Sun, actually.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Five billion meters from the Sun, actually.
Yup. Realized that as I was falling asleep last night. Fixed now.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Been playing Better Than Starting Manned mod. It's a nice take on hardmode for KSP. It's supposed to be played with Deadly Reentry. Because if you're going to make something hard you'd best make it flaming explosion of death hard.

Science transmitting is changed so that you only need to transmit once to get 100% but Goo has to be brought back to get science from it. The science from Kerbin's ground/sea is removed. The science parts are put towards the beginning (thermometer is unlocked at very start).

Kerbals need life support and you have to research up to pressurized cockpits. Even then they use up their life support quickly and can only spend a couple of hours in space.

Batteries, engines, and solar panels start out terrible and get better as they're farther researched.

This makes it so you're constantly starved for parts that do what you want.

Here's my current research tree.

I still don't have side parachutes or anything to hook the top mounted parachute to the side of something with.

Here's my decoupler

That's the first decoupler this mod lets you have. That's the only decoupler I can work with so far.

Here's the first SAS

That's 4th level tech for a decoupler and 5th for SAS. I still don't have the first solar panel.

They weigh a half tonne each and it would take 3 of them getting constant sun to keep my probe cores charged.

The part starvation has lead to some rather insane designs.

That's how I got the goo back from space safely.

I'm proud of this bottom booster's design.

No decouplers, it drops stages by overheating and blowing up the lower stage. It gets going fast enough to overheat the top boosters around 20km. The batteries on top of the solid boosters are to protect them from heat.

Deadly Reentry has heat shields (that have to be researched) but I found that the Modular Girder Adapter does a pretty good job of protecting things.

No fuel ducts, no struts. It can get into Kerbin orbit or direct ascent to Mun.

Still can't get a Kerbol there alive though, not enough life support for the whole trip. Probe's doing pretty good though. Having some trouble finishing up the gravity scans since some of the biomes pop up for less than 1 second before changing.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

I don't think we should bring up FlowerChild or anything he makes around here >_>

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

fuck that guy

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Agreed. The end. Moving on.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Could someone tell me, through PM preferably, why 'we' don't like him?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Holy crap, you guys were right about using jets for the first stage! This makes my life 100x easier (in KSP). Jets->Solid Boosters->Liquid fuel stage, and the only bit that still wastes liquid fuel is circularizing. If I want to escape, I just let the solid stage run it's course without gravity turning.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Could someone tell me, through PM preferably, why 'we' don't like him?

So do I, PM please?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Suffice to say that he's an actively antagonistic person who believes he can continue to be a complete twat because he has a small following.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well now I don't like him because he managed to take attention away from 90% of my post without me mentioning him.

After some research it looks like he's among the least nice of popular Minecraft modders. Not caring for making his mods compatible with other mods then freaking out when someone makes a properly compatible version. It doesn't look like anything PM worthy, just more Minecraft Forestry/Redpower type drama.

But that's not what we're here for! *makes rocket noises*

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile

Actually it's somewhat worse than not caring - he intentionally rewrote his entire mod from the ground up to be incompatible with almost every other mod because of a ridiculous disagreement with another modded. Basically issued the community as "It's me or everyone else" ultimatum.

BUT BACK ON TOPIC: From the sounds of it, 0.24's biggest feature is planned to be contracts. What exactly that means I'm not sure, but it sounds like the mission control mod will be getting some sort of much cooler official replacement. Also there's the thing they're working on alongside NASA, which should come out soon after .24, and add some sort of mission to get an asteroid into kerbin orbit.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.
Pages: 1 ... 564 565 [566] 567 568 ... 848