Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 574 575 [576] 577 578 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448887 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

ERB? Epic Rap Battle? Kerbals vs Minions?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

If you're after ssto you probably want to go with rapier/ LVN,
However since you have interstellarim sure there's far better engine choices available.
There are, but they require mastery of beamed power, which is indistinguishable from magic.
...Beamed power isn't magic. It's basically flashlights and solar panels, except adapted more precisely to the purpose of beaming power.

Also, I hadn't thought of that. Science fiction ships like the ones I'm trying to copy do tend to use stuff more advanced than chemical rockets. Maybe I'll try that later.

I add more fuel, fuel lines, and a few struts to my previous design; apparently, I added a little too much, because for a moment, my engines didn't lift me off the ground. It must have been a thousand tons or so when we started.
As the rocket burns, we gain altitude and velocity, and our mass drops by hundreds of tons. It's amazing how excruciatingly slow seven massive rockets can push an oversized fuel tank; it takes over a minute to go two kilometers ASL.
Around a a minute and a half in, the first pair of Mainsails goes out. With only 6.6 meganewtons of thrust behind the rocket, we're barely above a TWR of 1, though we've burned off something like a quarter or a third of our weight. I retroactively intended for that to happen.
Less than three minutes in (I miss the exact second), we're down two more Mainsails and need to gravity-turn. Our TWR? 0.77. New plan: Next version, stick a stronger (if lower-ISP) engine in the middle. Also more reaction wheels, it's taking forever for the SASS to turn things.
Four minutes, ~20 seconds. We pass 15 kilometers. Still not much in the way of a gravity turn. Last two Mainsails almost out. TWR almost one. Ground Control taking bets on if the Mainsails will run out of fuel before or after it gets there.
4:26: We're falling. This is bad. The one guy in Mission Control who bet on this happening is getting very very rich. I notice that I confused Pitch and Heading, or...something. I put Pitch in Roll and Heading in both Heading and Pitch. Well, when you're falling down with rockets still running, you've screwed up big time...so I don't think that changed much.
I notice that the throttle's down. I apparently left on the option to stop us from exceeding terminal velocity, but didn't increase the thrust after that stopped being an issue. Oops. Let's try this again, without doing that.

Relaunching and checking some stats. Initial TWR: 1.01. Nailed it; that was retroactively intentional. Initial mass: ~965 tons. We get torqued over by something weird at first, but recover. I wish I could claim credit, but it was either the SAS or MechJeb, and I'm not sure which. I don't think I activated anything on MechJeb which would have done that...regardless, we continue ascent.

Five bucks says you've never seen a starship that looked quite like that.

1:37. The first pair of Mainsails run dry. TWR down to 1.04. Strangely, despite this above-1 TWR, speed starts to drop. We're still pretty low, though, so I'm worried for the next batch dropping...
1:58. We've dropped under 600 tons. Neat note, and it's nearly exactly at the two-minute mark.
2:30. Over 7,500. Torquing, don't know why. Recovered...then we begin going the other direction. Not the most stable ship. Note to self: Fins not bad idea.
2:54. Second pair dead. TWR a bit over three-quarters.
3:20. With only three engines' gimbal and the reaction of a few wheels, the flopping about is getting harder to control. TWR barely above 0.8. Altitude above 12k, so that's...unbad...MechJeb's ascent suggestions still have me going straight up; is that right?
3:48. MechJeb suddenly decides we should turn. ...Huh. We're past 13k now. We're falling, and the engines turn off. Is there a relation, or did I just happen to hit the x key accidentally? Well...once we start falling, we're not likely to stop.

...Yeah...this is enough for tonight. My next attempt at SSTIPS* ships will involve plasma thrusters or something. Probably not beamed power; if I snag some good generator, the same thing powering the Alcubierre drive can power the thrusters.

For the past few years, something mysterious has been going on in the KSP.

It all began that lonely day. Things had calmed down at the KSC. No visits to the Mün or Minmus, and most of the work was centered on building the New Hope Space Station. As everyone went about their business, trying to find out if Daedalus and Icarus are worth it and should be scrapped, if the Munar Base needs an MPL, and checking up on the brave astronauts of the N.H.S.S., a file appeared on the desk of Dr. Wernher von Kerman, containing direct orders from the Director. It was titled: ERB. Inside, was the basic layout for a new rover, with very curious instructions. Wernher quickly assembled a team of elite scientists and made them swear secrecy.

Work on the ERB begun that very day.

No time left, will finish the story later!
Can't wait to see what'll happen...

ERB? Epic Rap Battle? Kerbals vs Minions?
Doubt it.
I idly wonder if anyone's made a Minions mod for KSP. And also why Minions are so popular.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I have returned to playing this game after a long absence, and I'm back to building weird contraptions.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The command seat is almost invisible on the top there, but it's there. I've no idea how much dV it has, but I'm entertaining the thought of going to Gilly with it.
Sure looks neat. What is it? What does it do? Are those red things heat radiators or something?
It's a combination deep space probe/single-seat electric scooter. The engine is an AFTER thruster from NFP, and the reactor with the glowing heat radiators is likewise. The AFTER is the only engine the small reactor can fully support, but it's not terribly powerful. Still, good delta-V supply and the acceleration just might be enough to attempt a Gilly landing - which is what I will be doing. ^_^
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you don't want to asparagus then go the route of Munshine.
Those sure look staged. I did say I was going for SSTO, right?
My end goal is basically one of those ships you see in all sci-fi which can take off, head to another world, and land without anything but refueling.
There are only two stages. If you want a ssto I would say look at the Cupcake brand ssto's.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's a combination deep space probe/single-seat electric scooter.
Those roles seem...contradictory.

The engine is an AFTER thruster from NFP, and the reactor with the glowing heat radiators is likewise.
AFTER thruster? Google gets me nothing.
Okay, it gets me lots of stuff, but nothing useful.

There are only two stages. If you want a ssto I would say look at the Cupcake brand ssto's.
I shall!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

The most annoying part of asparagus staging is arranging the seperatrons if things start to explode >.>

E: This is the second thread in a relatively short time where I've missed a notable page number by one post :v

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The most annoying part of asparagus staging is arranging the seperatrons if things start to explode >.>

If it explodes too often from decoupled parts colliding, it usually means that it's time to take off the offending stages and put them elsewhere. It reduces your explosion risk from 95% to 90%!
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's a combination deep space probe/single-seat electric scooter.
Those roles seem...contradictory.
It's a probe when nobody is piloting it, and a scooter when somebody is piloting it. Perfect for rescuing stranded astronauts in deep space.

The engine is an AFTER thruster from NFP, and the reactor with the glowing heat radiators is likewise.
AFTER thruster? Google gets me nothing.
Okay, it gets me lots of stuff, but nothing useful.
That's because it's specific to Near Future Propulsion. It's a Kerbalized NEXT - an Advanced Fairly Trustworthy Electric Rocket engine. :P

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Near Future has cheaty parts in it. Radiators face wherever and solar panels are quantum stockpiled. Radiators are conceptually heat sinks. Face them to the sun and they become heat absorbers.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nertea (NFP's author) had implemented rotating radiators at some point, but they were causing problems, so they are back to being rigid - for now.

The "quantum stockpiled" solar panels are a real thing, however. They're called the Thin Film Solar Cells, and are basically superefficient solar-array tissue paper, micrometers thick. The arrays in question are taken from the VASIMR Lunar Tug concept: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjFv5V77E1A

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not a big surprise they'd wait for April 1. 455 mb patch download.

Saves broken. New save for asteroids.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 03:39:59 pm by BigD145 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did they add/change anything other than the asteroid thing?
Sig

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Did they add/change anything other than the asteroid thing?

Space center warp and new parts.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Would you like to emergency dock with a vehicle that does not have docking parts? You can do that now.
Pages: 1 ... 574 575 [576] 577 578 ... 848