Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 608 609 [610] 611 612 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443871 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Holy crap. I just got a Jool encounter by burning straight up from the Launchpad at Kerbin.... the new engines are HILARIOUSLY overpowered :P
Before you declare something overpowered, let's see your craft. With a sufficient percentage of mass devoted to engine and fuel you can do this with any craft.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Yup. Won't say overpowered until you can get to beat the current 20% payload fraction to orbit with ease.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55615-0-22-0-23-0-Payload-Fraction-Challenge

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Yup. Won't say overpowered until you can get to beat the current 20% payload fraction to orbit with ease.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55615-0-22-0-23-0-Payload-Fraction-Challenge

I think its telling that the moment the new engines came out, they cancelled this challenge, and listed the new engines as the reason :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I think its telling that the moment the new engines came out, they cancelled this challenge, and listed the new engines as the reason :P
I think you may be reading too much into that. The challenge is only valid if you have a limited pool of specific engines. Throwing new engines into it could invalidate old winners and old data, and really its better to start a new one when things change.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

yeah, I am just stating this - if you can get to 25% payload fraction using 0.23.5, then the new engines are more efficient/op/whatever you wish

doesn't change a thing (especially when using interstellar XD)

anyway, not to say you can't do crazy things with the new boosters (http://imgur.com/a/3FBH0 single stage to duna)

looking at results from here:
http://garycourt.github.io/korc/
Rockomax 24-77 and aerospikes are the preferred for small payloads, while larger payload require the new heavy lifter. sounds about right

you can also check the mass optimal charts here: http://imgur.com/a/OS6bk#5
unless I am mistaken, the new stuff rarely come into play unless you need huge twr

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Yup. The most important part about the new stuff is that it cuts down on the hassle, fuel management, construction, and physics jiggling resulting from strapping together asparagus staging for similar TWRs on decent sized payloads. And that's why the Saturn V beat the N1 to the Moon. :P

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

I recently downloaded a mod which adds the Orion Drive (nukes propelling your spacecraft) to KSP. Rather than use the Drive to enter orbit...I built boosters. Big ones.

Remarkably, it didn’t need much thrust, despite the huge size of the payload. That’s the ARM rockets for ya. By 20-30 kilometers, I had the thrust down at ⅓. Remarkably, they managed to get me into orbit (though a less circular one than intended). I discovered at this point that the decouplers were set up wrong. Ah well.
I need to fly that thing somewhere now.

Also, I have developed a burning desire to hear Scott Manley say "No true Scotsman would use MechJeb!"
::)

0.14 marked stable as of nao http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/37707-0-23-5-Magic-Smoke-Industries-Parts-Infernal-Robotics-0-14-stable%29?highlight=robotic
notice two open bugs (docking and some menu issue)
Awesome!
What's "the docking bug"?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You know what would be a great addition to the game? alien structures/machinery! we've all heard all those conspiracy theories about why NASA never went back to the moon (one says that the moon is filled with aliens and they warned the astronauts to never revisit the moon, I find it hard to believe but oh well...) wouldn't it be cool if there were alien structures on some parts of the Mun?
Weird looking stations, abandoned rovers, probes crashed on or in orbit of the Mun
What do you guys think?

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i think it'd be great to have an abandoned alien research station just chilling at an almost-impossible orbit around the moon

the challenge is to capture it and bring it to kerbin for lodse science

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 02:12:39 pm by Putnam »

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

You can already find easter eggs like that. Nothing too major, just the odd monolith, crashed flying saucer, or dead space kraken.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

i think it'd be great to have an abandoned alien research station just chilling at an almost-impossible orbit around the moon

You could probably do something like this with a mod if they have exposed the functions for generating asteroids. Make an 'asteroid' using a certain model and containing science data for recovery or transmission.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

You know what would be a great addition to the game? alien structures/machinery! we've all heard all those conspiracy theories about why NASA never went back to the moon (one says that the moon is filled with aliens and they warned the astronauts to never revisit the moon, I find it hard to believe but oh well...) wouldn't it be cool if there were alien structures on some parts of the Mun?
Weird looking stations, abandoned rovers, probes crashed on or in orbit of the Mun
What do you guys think?
Eh. Kinda screws with the atmosphere of KSP.

You could probably do something like this with a mod if they have exposed the functions for generating asteroids. Make an 'asteroid' using a certain model and containing science data for recovery or transmission.
That would work well. Can you mod new types of "asteroids"?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I'm not sure if those functions are exposed for modding. I'll do a bit of research this weekend though.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I wonder if it'd be possible to make a tech which can ONLY be unlocked via certain circumstances.
If mods can unlock techs then the mission controller mod would work for that so I'd start there if I were you. Have a chat with the modder who makes mission controller.

Could make a nice mission style progression instead of science based. Or split it so that you have mission milestones before you can proceed.
Pages: 1 ... 608 609 [610] 611 612 ... 848