Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448173 times)

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

mechjeb can't do jet-assisted
Mechjeb can do jet assists, but you have to manually stage it and set up the the ascent path different from normal rockets. Here's my ascent guidance that I just tested with this design.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Designs with less thrust/weight ratio will need to have it finish the turn later for better fuel economy, but overall the path works pretty well.

Mechjeb can also do standard rocket ascents more efficiently if you set it up as
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 10:02:05 pm by Leonon »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

That is how navballs work. Got an issue? Take it up with the guys who designed them.But good luck getting that time machine.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

That is how navballs work. Got an issue? Take it up with the guys who designed them.But good luck getting that time machine.

It's not even wrong, the entire argument seems to rely on never having pressed the "W" key.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Try pressing W and see which direction the ship goes and which direction the navball goes.

Now that you know what I'm looking at, please tell me how I'm doing it wrong.
[/quote]

What the hell is wrong with you?  I ask for help and give a detailed description of what I'm doing wrong, and you're a fucking dick about it.

Let me show you something:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=lists;sa=ignore Put me on this list.  Please.

Alway (and Nogoodnames and Gomez):  That was a perfectly clear explanation, thank you SO much.  I was finding the cardinal directions on the navball so frustrating that I was basically ignoring them and using visual cues.  It totally makes sense now.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

What the hell is wrong with you?  I ask for help and give a detailed description of what I'm doing wrong, and you're a fucking dick about it.

Let me show you something:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=lists;sa=ignore Put me on this list.  Please.

Alway (and Nogoodnames and Gomez):  That was a perfectly clear explanation, thank you SO much.  I was finding the cardinal directions on the navball so frustrating that I was basically ignoring them and using visual cues.  It totally makes sense now.

I don't like being ignored.

I also don't much like when advice is given that relies on false or misunderstood info (saying that "the directions on the wiki for a gravity turn are all cocked up" suggests that you shouldn't follow them...), but I was willing to ignore that over what's a clear misunderstanding.

EDIT: Note that I'm describing what the hell is wrong with me, not trying to make excuses. You hit a couple of my rage buttons that I need to put (more) effort into taking care of.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 10:16:17 pm by Putnam »

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks for suggesting MechJeb! It works like a charm, and has taken a lot of the frustration out of setting up orbits! I now have a satellite in orbit around Kerbin, I've landed on the Mun and planted a flag, and I've even started work on a space station! It's really opened up the game for me, and I'm enjoying it way more than I used to!

As for it being 'cheating', I'm just pretending that advances in automated flight have worked wonders - or that there's a computer boffin on the ground doing all the controlling for me...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

...Rockets haven't been manually piloted in, like, forever. Not having an autopilot is unrealistic, you could say, but then so is the size of the system, the aerodynamics...

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That makes me feel much better, Putnam!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

To be entirely fair, tone aside, he did give a proper hint. You were assuming compass directions were wrong, but you didn't think to tip over forward and see what happens. If you did, you'd have probably come to the same realization as you have now, after it's been explained.

You could have come to the same realization much quicker if you used a Mk1 Cockpit instead. And even quicker if you used the IVA view from it.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

After much munar testing, Dudrigh has confirmed his suspicion that it is impossible to hate anything so much as I HATE THIS GODDAMN CRATER!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

After much munar testing, Dudrigh has confirmed his suspicion that it is impossible to hate anything so much as I HATE THIS GODDAMN CRATER!
The Kerbal science budget is being very well spent.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

...Rockets haven't been manually piloted in, like, forever. Not having an autopilot is unrealistic, you could say, but then so is the size of the system, the aerodynamics...
People argue that it's cheaty because it takes away player involvement, not that it makes things unrealistic.

Personally, I don't care much but I play without because I can rarely be bothered to install it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

Thing is, KSP exists in a strange niche of gameplay.  It's incredibly fun and open, and easily accessible.  I mean, you construct an entire rocket just by putting on explosives and duct tape, essentially, and it actually works.  The simplicity is amazing.

At the same time, orbital mechanics and things are WAY beyond a lot of people.  There's not many other games with such a steep demand of skill that simply bar out whole groups of people.  Using assistance to play is the best thing you can do, when the alternative is to not play at all.  At least you ARE playing and enjoying it.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

I think using MechJeb is perfectly acceptable. I personally don't use it, because it bugs the heck out of me not to be in control. That and I find watching the computer do everything for me kinda boring.

Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

MechJeb's dV calculator seems to be less fiddly than Engineer's. I also like to have my ship on autopilot when I answer the door or use the bathroom. I don't want to pause.
Pages: 1 ... 649 650 [651] 652 653 ... 848