Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 664 665 [666] 667 668 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448165 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Until and While are two entirely different, and non-mutually exclusive statements. Why would you assume the language has one but not the other?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Because I have never seen until before and both are just not(the other)?
It just seems weird.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Because I have never seen until before and both are just not(the other)?
It just seems weird.

It makes reading the statement easier. "wait while not fuel is less than X" is harder to process than "wait until fuel is less than X", and doesn't cost anything to add, so why not?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

That missile couldn't hit my new plane. Granted it looks like the missle isn't intended to hit things in atmosphere, but nevertheless :P

Yeah, made the Atomic Flyer V4 ((Actually something like V97 with all the small tweaks and fixes I needed to do :P)) with beamed power and it can go between 3 and 4 hundred m/s at "almost colliding with the ground" level. I made this one minimalist as possible, so the CoL isn't QUITE far enough behind the CoM for it to be fully stable, but it works hilariously well until you try and land it.

Also because beamed power is just so hilarious for thrust to mass ratio's this one reaches space (though it can't get fully orbital).
I gave up on the "self sufficient" part of their design in exchange for a ultrafast nimble bird.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Beamed power receivers need to be heavier and have their collision boxes tightened up.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile

I plan on making an atmospheric missile once my current one gains the ability to engage maneuvering targets.

That being said, that aircraft sounds like an incredibly difficult kill.  Id enjoy trying to hit it.

Also, kOS doesnt have while.  They are kinda hipstery but im stuck with them until jebnix or something comes out.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I have a contract to test a poodle while landed, a mainsail while flying and a KR-1x2 suborbitally.

EVERYTHING IS BACKWARDS

I replaced the OKTO with an mk1 cockpit because unmanned flight would not do this monstrosity justice.

E:
Not entirely unexpectedly, the poodles are not enough to take off

E2: I added 8 of the largest boosters, that seems to work
eventually i'll do this.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 03:29:23 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I once had to do a mission in which I had to test a skipper while landed, a mainsail in flight and a KR-1x2 on orbit.
sadly, the skipper turned out not to be quite powerful enough and I had to activate the mainsail early. Called it a day and ran a second mission for the mainsail test, however. It probably costed less than building an huge rocket with such badly staged engines.

It still left me with a question: Why test a booster stage in orbit? They shouldn't get in orbit in normal use and their inhability to be in upper stages of a rocket makes them particularly unsuitable for orbital operations anyway.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just ignore "test X in flight" missions. I'll do them if its a "test X while landed" and occasionally if its an in-orbit one that's not completely retarded, but for the most part the test in flight ones are just so ungodly finicky its easier to design a Munar lander ((and I am almost notoriously terrible with those)) then it is to find the PRECISE staging to get a certain altitude/speed combination.

Indeed, I do this.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

There is a way to 'cheat' the "test x in flight" contracts. You only count as activating a part by staging into it (unless it has a RMB menu test button) so you can actually use a part by manually activating it (RMB menu) and test it by staging into it later.

I'm not sure that makes any sense. Very tired.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is a way to 'cheat' the "test x in flight" contracts. You only count as activating a part by staging into it (unless it has a RMB menu test button) so you can actually use a part by manually activating it (RMB menu) and test it by staging into it later.

I'm not sure that makes any sense. Very tired.

It does, but it still doesn't help when you get "test X at 10000-12000m at 860m/s" or something silly like that.

Indeed, I do this.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile

PTW because just bought the game and got it installed.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

I just ignore "test X in flight" missions. I'll do them if its a "test X while landed" and occasionally if its an in-orbit one that's not completely retarded, but for the most part the test in flight ones are just so ungodly finicky its easier to design a Munar lander ((and I am almost notoriously terrible with those)) then it is to find the PRECISE staging to get a certain altitude/speed combination.
Yep. The ones in space are nice because they can give really good science. Several hundred science just for getting to kerbin escape velocity? Yes pls.

In-atmosphere, where you need to specially design a craft to hit a certain altitude at a certain velocity, and stay there long enough to react? For 50 science? Hells naw.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think they all have the "run test" option, so even if you activate an engine through staging, you can still use the run test function to complete it.  You can also re-arrange the staging sequence in-flight.

I had a line of tests setup where I was testing various parts in flight, on suborbital trajectories, and one on an escape velocity.  The escape velocity one was one of the super long NASA solid boosters, and there was no economical way to get it up there without using it.  I think I used the manual activation method for this one.

I'm trying not to do that kind of stuff so blatantly any more.  Being my second .24.x career, I'm less worried about staying flush and making science.  Since I've just crashed my second remote-tech probe into the Mun, so far not-staying-flush is pretty easy.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can add a new stage while in flight. If you add it to the bottom you can stage through it and stage activate your already stage activated engines.
Pages: 1 ... 664 665 [666] 667 668 ... 848