Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 752 753 [754] 755 756 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448325 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's interesting.  Mainsails used to overheat in stock under full throttle, the new system must let them radiate more out to the atmosphere than before.  You could always use girders at heatsinks, and clustered engines always got hotter than single engines -- so the basics of the current system have been in place for a while.  I'd be interested in reading exactly what they did, I haven't followed the dev notes so if they ever talked about the technical specifics I've missed it.

Career mode seems to take significantly longer now, which is nice.  I've been ferrying passengers around making some money, but not making a whole lot of research.  Parts tests and random missions seem to pay out less, which I suppose is good because research came too easily in previous versions.

It used to be that one good orbit of Kerbin and a trip to Minmus could pretty much finish out the tech tree for me, looks like I'll be able to get more mileage out of it now.  Still finding where they put some of the parts, its almost like playing a new game.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Digging around the configs I've found the rhino has been seriously nerfed, it now produces 1000 thrust, significantly down from the 2500 it previously made. Its now weaker than a mainsail, costs more, and weighs 30% more. It is more efficient at vacuum and heats up less though, but the description still mentions it being a lifting engine, which it is not as it has terrible thrust at sea level and being heavier loses out to the mainsail significantly. I of course bumped it back up to 2100 thrust and increased the heat to 200 because why not :p
Now since I have USI Kolonisation stuff installed I'm modding ore so you can't make fuel from it, that will require the URI fuel converter and liquid water. Ore will replace metallic ore in the USI stuff, also since I don't have interstellar I can't make uranium for these groovy reactors, so I'll mod uraninite to work in the reactors, also i'll change the USI nuclear engines to use uranium as well as the LH2.
I think I'll leave the enriched uranium and depleted uranium, mod something to convert uraninite or depleted uranium into enriched uranium.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 08:15:48 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Digging around the configs I've found the rhino has been seriously nerfed, it now produces 1000 thrust down from the 2500 it previously made. Its now weaker than a mainsail, costs more, and weighs 30% more. It is more efficient at vacuum and heats up less though, but the description still mentions it being a lifting engine, which it is not as it has terrible thrust at sea level and being heavier loses out to the mainsail significantly. I of course bumped it back up to 2100 thrust and increased the heat to 200 because why not :p
Now since I have USI Kolonisation stuff installed I'm modding ore so you can't make fuel from it, that will require the URI fuel converter and liquid water. Ore will replace metallic ore in the USI stuff, also since I don't have interstellar I can't make uranium for these groovy reactors, so I'll mod uraninite to work in the reactors, also i'll change the USI nuclear engines to use uranium as well as the LH2.
I think I'll leave the enriched uranium and depleted uranium, mod something to convert uraninite or depleted uranium into enriched uranium.
Will you be sharing these awesome-sounding changes?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Digging around the configs I've found the rhino has been seriously nerfed, it now produces 1000 thrust down from the 2500 it previously made. Its now weaker than a mainsail, costs more, and weighs 30% more. It is more efficient at vacuum and heats up less though, but the description still mentions it being a lifting engine, which it is not as it has terrible thrust at sea level and being heavier loses out to the mainsail significantly. I of course bumped it back up to 2100 thrust and increased the heat to 200 because why not :p
Will you be sharing these awesome-sounding changes?
Will do, for the sake of not breaking stuff I'll be putting the changed parts into a separate folder, deleting the old equivalent parts would be  recommended but not entirely necessary.
I kind of forgot about the engine test stand and went off to watch 'a million ways to die in the west', so they now have all reached equilibrium.
Control; Engine= 1787.1 degrees, Tank= 1778.3
With panels; Engine = 1026.4, Tank = 1011.9, Panels = 855.9 (Panels have a 1200 degree breaking point)
Double tank; Engine = 1589.2 degrees, Tanks = 1578.1
And the 1/10th size tank; Engine at 74.5 %=  1928.5, Tank = 1925.8 , this one heated up slightly more, maybe from radiant heat as the other tanks got hot? Also the Girder underneath hit 1807 degrees and the 1x1 panel underneath that is at 1448 degrees, under this is an octo strut at 787 degrees.
I will revise my earlier dismissal of the effectiveness of solar panels, they make a significant difference, however the mass requirement is absurd.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 10:40:18 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Even easier would be to make a module manager config file for it, if you're into that. It doesn't require replacing any parts, it edits the configs at the time of launch based on what you put in.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

That sounds excellent, I'll go check module manager out.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

That sounds excellent, I'll go check module manager out.
I use it to apply kerbal engineer and mechjeb to all command pods so I can delete the silly parts.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

It should be noted that the Rhino engine is more efficient than the Mainsail in space. And does not overheat. So it's less of a "lifting" and more of a "driving" engine, unless you need a lander/lifter for airless bodies.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

It should be noted that the Rhino engine is more efficient than the Mainsail in space. And does not overheat. So it's less of a "lifting" and more of a "driving" engine, unless you need a lander/lifter for airless bodies.
And I just realised the power actually doubles in vacuum too. doh.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not sure how monopropellant keeps sneaking back into my rockets... Remove it all, later find that it's back in one of the pods...
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Not sure how monopropellant keeps sneaking back into my rockets... Remove it all, later find that it's back in one of the pods...
I'm now imagining a chemical symbol thing with a little mask on tiptoeing its way onto the Launchpad and stealthing into a rocket.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

Research from the KSP forum seems to indicate that the square wing sections make the best heat radiators (at least on Kerbin.) Great info on that thread.

As for me, I am really loving how scientists can reset experiments. Here's my current science jet; a very tame flyer that is pretty easy to land. Rolls when you yaw, but that's manageable.

Do not disembark scientists during flight.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

1. Wouldn't that spin faster and faster until it ripped apart?
2. Basic ships? Did you see the cost?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Brings back memories of what I did back in .18, more cans, more struts!, more asparagusegingerning!
I've been hitting a brick wall with module manager, as far as I know this should work:
Code: [Select]
@Part[MKS_DRILL_01]:Final
{
@title = MEU-500 Drill [Substrate/Uraninite]
@description = The MEU-590 pulse drill can be used to excavate Uraninite, and substrate from planetary surfaces.
 !MODULE[ModuleResourceHarvester],1 { }

}
This in a file named loaddamnit.cfg inside the Umbraspaceindustries folder. I'm sure it is loading because the log mentions the file, and if I screw up the syntax I get a nice error message on load.
Facepalm because the part is named MKS_Drill_01. Caps are very sensitive :s I can't even.
I've wasted hours just trying to get a single part from MKS to load, I'm not sure what the problem is as I can successfully alter Squad's parts, I give up with module manager for now, I'll alter the parts manually.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 01:31:16 am by MarcAFK »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

any mod that ties the new resource overlay with the damned biome thing?
Pages: 1 ... 752 753 [754] 755 756 ... 848