Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 783 784 [785] 786 787 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448110 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Launching rockets into space isint safe either...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile

Yes but the engine is designed for that :x
One would assume it requires some space-plane bits.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Landing gear, sure.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Heck, you can go even further and make a flying car by giving it some wings or something, and throttling up whenever you need to jump over something :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile

you know maybe i should try this after i work out how to get into a fokken orbit

I don't think I've even landed on the Mun, yet.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

The rover wheels are "designed" for land exploration, but they are SOOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOW. Alternately you can use landing gear and rockets/jets for TEH FASTNESS but this is dangerous.

Basically land exploration is like ion burns but a thousand times worse.

I don't think I've even landed on the Mun, yet.
Note: Forget landing gear, use girders in leggish configuration, Landing Gear is Trampoline on the Mun.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 04:55:29 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

For land exploration you really just want to build a basic plane and fly it everywhere, I think.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Basic vtol, so you can land and take ground sci and reset experiments.

Actually, rough terrain landings are much easier now, As long as you dont have huge fragile wings.  Or you could even land on chutes and repack them.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Or you could try and make a science bomber. Dropping experiments and crew on locations by using chutes before flying back to base. You then take command of the crew on site, collect what you need and reclaim the vessel :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have not looked at the map in a while, but most biomes can be hit with a pretty short flight from KSC.

I think the exceptions are desert and artic, which are easier to hit with a rocket while you're flying some other missions.

And then tundra and badlands which I almost always have to fly to (managed to hit tundra with a rocket only once) but the flight is so long I usually don't worry about them.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I landed an orbital tour rocket in the desert and took readings with the onboard science equipment before recovering it.

Never bothered aiming for the poles, though.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

The trick with jet powered cars that greatly increases usability is spoilers.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The trick with jet powered cars that greatly increases usability is spoilers.

Totally.  I usually science-scumm a low tech jet car around KSC as soon as I have a basic jet engine and a materials bay.  slapping some angled fins on the sides to create some down-draft (or whatever the car enthusiasts call the downward aerodynamic force generated from spoilers and sloped bodywork) transforms them from bouncing/flipping deathtraps into totally driveable cheat-mobiles.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

At same tech level you can have a plane with chutes that can grind all center plus roofs that have their own biome and also the nearby water hills and mountains as far as the southwest desert

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Hey anyone else using the Interstellar Expanded stuff for this version? Specifically anyone discovered whether the "active cooling" from Liquid Nitrogen they added can be used to replace heatshields? Would provide an interesting and reusable way to enter atmospheres.

Relatedly, do radiators actually tie into the vanilla heating mechanics yet or is that coming SoonTM?

Secondary question: Do the Magnet engines generate thrust in atmosphere? The tooltip notes "not rated for atmosphere" so does that mean it only works in space?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 07:59:49 am by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 783 784 [785] 786 787 ... 848