Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 784 785 [786] 787 788 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448865 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Mission Impossible (click to show/hide)
For reference, Moho is on average twice as far from the sun as these altitudes, and the orbital velocity at that altitude is about 20km/s, so you have about 0.2 seconds to do the test if you use an eyeballed transfer orbit from Kerbin, so you need to get your eccentricity incredibly low to even have a good chance to do that test. That'll cost incredible amounts of delta-v though, and it seems like it would be way too hot out there anyway.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 03:48:30 pm by MagmaMcFry »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

For reference, Moho is on average twice as far from the sun as these altitudes, and the orbital velocity at that altitude is about 20km/s, so you have about 0.2 seconds to do the test if you use an eyeballed transfer orbit from Kerbin, so you need to get your eccentricity incredibly low to even have a good chance to do that test. That'll cost incredible amounts of delta-v though, and it seems like it would be way too hot out there anyway.
The ship you would need to perform this test would cost about thirty times the reward for doing it.

So obviously you need to try it :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Dat 13 reputation demands it.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

I have yet to figure out if reputation actually does anything...

Meanwhile, the Administrator decided to sell five people on a package vacation deal including sightseeing tours of Minmus.  I haven't sent a man to orbit the Mun yet.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

It affects missions, and I think various costs.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Reputation is great for converting into science and funds.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

So I love the missions where I'm just supposed to build a plane to get somewhere since I love flying more than space (my 3 different flight sticks around my computer prove it) but I feel there is a definite lack of atmospheric contracts, and I guess that makes sense, since this is supposed to be a space agency.

Does anybody know if there's a mod that adds more kerbin survey missions, or even some tourism missions that involve flying vips to locations instead of just getting them to space?  Or failing that does anybody know how I would go about modifying the game to try and make some myself?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you just want more of those, you can reject proposed missions and they'll be replaced by another mission, and eventually a survey mission should come up. You should still be able to get them, they're just rarer because you have more mission variety after getting to space and so on.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

This is a very good tutorial on it...for an older version so some of the aerodynamics stuff it references has changed but its all still accurate when t comes to plane designs

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is pretty outdated now, especially the later sections. You don't add more cruddy wheels, you use the big monster ones.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Well, first Mun landing in this version, second Mun landing total :P
Somehow, this one is much easier than the previous one.
I decided to send Bob and a probe body instead of Jeb, to get as much science as possible :x

Also, you may note that my lander does not appear to have a probe core.
You'd be wrong, because I mounted it INSIDE the service bay, alongside a whole bunch of other equipment!
It took me far too long to figure out how to actually use service bays (the doors become transparent so i thought you didnt have to open them in the VAB to put stuff in them, but you do), but they're pretty great, especially since I run out of surface area very easily on these lander cans.

E:
I underestimated how high Kerbals can jump on the Mun and now I'm down one solar panel. Oh well, I brought enough batteries.

E2:
I didnt pack enough batteries and ejected my engines/solar panels/fuel too early so I ran out of power :V
I aerobreaked through the atmosphere of Kerbin for like six days, which lowered my velocity enough not to burn up despite going sideways!
\o/
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 05:59:26 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Recently stranded Bob on the Mun (With TAC life support and no surviving solar panels :o) when I severely overestimated how fast my engine could slow me down.

Remember kids, it doesn't matter that you overengineered your ship if you deorbit too aggressively  :-[
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Greiger: here is the mod you are looking for

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/109471-1-0-2-Contract-Pack-Anomaly-Surveyor-v1-1-2-2015-05-09
Thanks that will certainly be an improvement.

That one doesn't always work right. I've had trouble getting Mun arches recognized. I stood next to either leg, directly under, and right on top of an arch and the contract did not complete.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Would it be so hard?

Assuming you make a highly elliptical orbit, your speed at the apoapsis would be extremely small.
Pages: 1 ... 784 785 [786] 787 788 ... 848