Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 804 805 [806] 807 808 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448041 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

You're supposed to do that right as you take off, not as you reach the blue part. Also, east, not west.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

I meant east. Frickin brain...

Also, I find doing it as the atmos changes layers reduces chances for the ground to try touching you or the rocket from getting confused asto what end should point to space.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile

I have no idea what that means. :P

Anyways, thanks to this first orbit, I'm actually going to be able to encounter the Mun.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Thanks again for all the advice!
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

I meant east. Frickin brain...

Also, I find doing it as the atmos changes layers reduces chances for the ground to try touching you or the rocket from getting confused asto what end should point to space.

Watch the whole video I posted, it explains pretty well why that happens.

FArgHalfnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have no idea what that means. :P

Anyways, thanks to this first orbit, I'm actually going to be able to encounter the Mun.
Thanks again for all the advice!

So your first orbit accidentally takes you to the mun? Wow. That's actually pretty awesome.
FArgHalfnr for the #1 eldrich monstrocity.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Putnam, I think I had, that or an earlier version.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My quest for a single-stage-to-Laythe-and-back is nearing its conclusion. I just tested a 30T SSTO which could fly to orbit, land on Kerbin and almost make orbit again, all while carrying an ion engine, enough RTGs to power it and enough xenon for transfers to Jool and back. And it only failed to make the second orbit because I underestimated the amount of liquid fuel it needed. With Laythe's lower orbital velocity and the excess oxidizer removed, it should be just barely enough to complete the mission. I think I'm ready to stop messing around with testing and designs and just get on with it, so here goes nothing!

And here it is, ready for transfer. Aesthetically it's nothing special, but you can only do so much when working with such tight performance requirements. I only hope I haven't left it too little fuel for Laythe orbit. I would be very disappointed if I manage to get so far only to be stranded.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 02:21:03 am by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

I'm surprised you managed an intercept on such an eccentric orbit.
Your apoapsis for orbit should rarely be over 120 km, after that you can just burn straight towards the the horizon, it's much more efficient.
You want to circularize ONLY on apoapsis and periapsis, until there's almost no difference anymore (I usually manage within 1 km)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

Aesthetically it's nothing special, but you can only do so much when working with such tight performance requirements.
Actually, I think it's pretty nice looking. I'm still haven't figured out how to SSTO in 1.2, so that makes your ship extra impressive.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aesthetically it's nothing special, but you can only do so much when working with such tight performance requirements.
Actually, I think it's pretty nice looking. I'm still haven't figured out how to SSTO in 1.2, so that makes your ship extra impressive.
Thanks. I didn't mean I thought it was ugly or anything. I just wanted it to have a bit more distinctive look, but it ended up kind of generic because of weight minimization.

I think I should do another launch and try to optimize my ascent a bit more. This one should have enough fuel, but I'd prefer a bit of a safety margin and it still has too much oxidizer.

For SSTO spaceplanes you really just have to keep in mind how jet engines work now. Instead of giving you a flat thrust, their thrust varies heavily based on speed and altitude. Once you break the sound barrier (340 m/s) your drag will decrease and thrust will rapidly increase, but it can be hard to break it if you don't have the TWR. Toggling your rockets on just for a moment to push you over can be helpful but obviously doesn't work with RAPIERs. Jet engines will only get you to a certain point before they stop producing thrust, so intake spam doesn't work anymore. This will generally be around 1000 m/s at 20km for turbo/ramjets and 1400m/s at 25km for RAPIERs. You can try to go faster by using lots of jets and building up speed lower in the atmosphere, but you run the risk of burning up. And finally, since the jets can't get you as fast as they could previously, you need more rocket fuel to get into orbit.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I guess I'll be sending launch clamps down with my duna colony parts then, they seems great at keeping my modules from hopping all over the place.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

I guess I'll be sending launch clamps down with my duna colony parts then, they seems great at keeping my modules from hopping all over the place.
Launch clamps cannot be launched. They are IMMOVABLE.

Except by danny.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

Trust me when I say that will require very, very, very precise math.  You have to align the positions of Duna and Kerbin perfectly, so that once you destroy Kerbin the launch clamps fall precisely into Duna some months later.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile

This may sound a bit silly, but can you use an asteroid as an infinite source of fuel to go wherever you want?
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."
Pages: 1 ... 804 805 [806] 807 808 ... 848