Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 831 832 [833] 834 835 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1443966 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

It's so tough to fly without my delta-v monitor.
How come? The navball shows the maneuver delta-v, and any other delta-v calculations only matter in the VAB.
Its pretty important to know how much delta-v your craft has while in flight so you can plan maneuvers you can actually achieve
git gud
very original, don't strain yourself too much attempting to be witty

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

That would be a nice quality of life feature, yes.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

Do you guys not plan your flights ahead of launch? Also I recommend a simple spreadsheet for this, one that you can edit in-flight to account for spent and partially spent stages.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 05:54:12 pm by MagmaMcFry »

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

It's so tough to fly without my delta-v monitor.
How come? The navball shows the maneuver delta-v, and any other delta-v calculations only matter in the VAB.
Its pretty important to know how much delta-v your craft has while in flight so you can plan maneuvers you can actually achieve
git gud
very original, don't strain yourself too much attempting to be witty
In all seriousness I don't understand why you need to be able to see that you have enough Delta V before you leave. There's not really any point in doing it at all if you know before you even start that success is basically garunteed. It isn't like there's much else that can get in your way after all.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Being inefficient?
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Do you guys not plan your flights ahead of launch? Also I recommend a simple spreadsheet for this, one that you can edit in-flight to account for spent and partially spent stages.

Isn't that basically exactly what kerbal engineer does?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Engineer and MechJeb. On the fly, even.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

Engineer and MechJeb. On the fly, even.
Yeah, but spreadsheets are updated for 1.1.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Still requires work. And a separate program. Its the second program that is my main issue.
Highly Opinionated Fool

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

Still requires work. And a separate program. Its the second program that is my main issue.
How often do you need to check your delta-v that alt+tabbing becomes an issue?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alt tabbing? Why would I need to alt tab? The games in a window(unless Steam changes that for the poor fools who use it for KSP) and I have a second screen. The need for a second program still aggravates me. Its like using dwarf therapist for assigning dwarves jobs, I dont see why people should feel the need to do that.

True, its not the perfect comparison (I dont feel the need for dwarf therapist, and I do feel the need to see delta-V), but its close enough to get the idea across, right?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I made a nice spreadsheet that calculated (estimated) delta v of each stage etc given the amount of every part in each stage, and it was nice.

Engineer was better - I didn't have to count anything or type anything, etc. It's just automatic.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

In all seriousness I don't understand why you need to be able to see that you have enough Delta V before you leave. There's not really any point in doing it at all if you know before you even start that success is basically garunteed. It isn't like there's much else that can get in your way after all.
Knowing how much delta-v I have left while in flight lets me gauge whether I can achieve optional objectives, like biome hopping on minmus or a quick rendezvous with the space station, or rescuing that kerbal who has been stuck in orbit for 3 years because I never felt like completing the contract.

Basically I don't always stick to my preplanned missions, so knowing what I have to work with is helpful. I get that you can't imagine a scenario where something would go wrong, or you'd screw up a burn and need to improvise, or you might want to deviate from the mission plan but please don't be insulting just because others like to have information available.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

How often do you need to check your delta-v that alt+tabbing becomes an issue?
Eh, Engineer is so useful and probably won't take that long to update, so I'm fine with not playing KSP until it's updated (not like I was playing it before the update came out :P)

And really delta-v is only one of the really useful features KE provides. You've also got stuff like horizontal velocity and altitude above ground instead of surface velocity and altitude above sea level.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Honestly, I stopped going to space when they made planes, so I don't need engineer.
Pages: 1 ... 831 832 [833] 834 835 ... 848