Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 839 840 [841] 842 843 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1448605 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #12600 on: September 17, 2016, 08:52:44 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #12601 on: September 17, 2016, 09:04:48 pm »

Thank ye very much.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12602 on: September 29, 2016, 04:40:18 am »

So I decided to try my hand at modding yesterday.

I made a 42x engine connector plate.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12603 on: September 29, 2016, 05:37:40 am »

Does that overheat?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12604 on: September 29, 2016, 06:12:47 am »

Only when slamming ass-first into the martian atmosphere.

I almost made it there in one stage.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12605 on: September 29, 2016, 10:01:11 am »

~SNIP~

Good heavens.  N1, eat your heart out.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12606 on: September 29, 2016, 10:40:59 am »

Considering the number of engines, the timing and the destination, I would look at the ITS ( former MCT), rather than the N1

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #12607 on: September 29, 2016, 10:47:35 am »

Duna here we come!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #12608 on: September 29, 2016, 12:42:19 pm »

Heh, time to build a rocket to send Kerbin into Kerbol.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12609 on: September 29, 2016, 01:52:51 pm »

Made it to Duna, with 97 seats. Only a quarter were filled though.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12610 on: September 29, 2016, 03:19:30 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Link for that? I've just been doing stuff like that with excessive part clipping and it seems to bug out 9 times out of 10.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12611 on: September 30, 2016, 01:19:03 pm »

Just started playing again.   Grabbed updated versions of a few essential mods and decided my first test would be a general work airplane.  Built it, put some dead weight in the cargo space to test it under a load and flew it to the abandoned airfield.

Great success!  It flew well and made it to the airfield!   I fowled up the landing however and wrecked the plane.  Crew lived through.

So instead of just recovering them I built a crew jet as well.  Flew that out to the airfield, landed beautifully, and loaded up jeb and bill.

Then horribly messed up the takeoff crashing the rescue jet into the side of the airfield hanger in a powerslide that would have made drift racers proud.  Again everyone survived, plane is an insurance writeoff.

I wonder if at this point since I have 3/4ths of my 'space' program stranded on that island I should just start building a mining base there.

Ah KSP how I missed you.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #12612 on: September 30, 2016, 01:23:47 pm »

Actually that sounds like a fun challenge -- fly an entire base to the island, fuel up a rocket there, then reach orbit. I'm going to try that.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12613 on: September 30, 2016, 02:12:47 pm »

Trying out realism overhaul mod pack for the first time, I have to say it's very well done. I barely managed to complete my first satellite in orbit with a mix of american and russian engines. Unthrottelable engines and limited restarts have so much impact on design, you really need to plan ahead more. Hullage is simulated too, I never even knew that was an issue in rocket design before I found out the hard way in the mod.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12614 on: September 30, 2016, 06:21:44 pm »

The project to rescue the people at the abandoned airfield continued.   I built a lifter helicopter with plans to pick up the remains of their 'rescue' jet and fly it back to the KSP.  Since taking off and landing seem to be a sticking point for me at that airfield.

The helicopter was modeled after a lot of those small remote controlled drones. except scaled up a few hundred times.  It seemed to fly well and I could actually take off with it without doing backflips.  A significant step up from old helicopter designs in the past.

I fly it over to the airfield (using a worrying amount of fuel doing so but it looked like I would still have enough to make it back) and find that helicopters are really really hard to stop once you get them up to speed.  I mean I can stop them from going in one direction easily enough, but it seems like they have a mind of their own and don't really want to stay in one place.

Needless to say I couldn't hover nearly well enough to get the magnetic winch to make with the debris of the jet and eventually strafed into the control tower just fast enough to blow a rotor up and unbalance the whole contraption.  Bob survived by bailing out.  Welp, at least now the whole gang's here.

I can build spaceplanes that get into orbit relatively easily.  Build cars that can reach 100 m/s without exploding into bits, but I can't take a plane from one airport to another without explosions and chaos.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 06:29:53 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 839 840 [841] 842 843 ... 848