Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 69

Author Topic: New Player's Guide to the Subforum - New to Mafia? START HERE  (Read 245728 times)

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
Re: New Player's Guide to the Subforum - New to Mafia? START HERE
« Reply #405 on: March 19, 2013, 11:13:15 pm »

Drama?  This?

If I wanted drama I'd have waited until I had an audience. 
In the middle of a game. 
During LyLo.

Now the only dramatic option left is for me to follow up this reveal by stealing the KotM Crown.
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 19, 2013, 11:14:21 pm »

That would have been AMAZING.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 19, 2013, 11:29:15 pm »

Well, the opportunity is past now, and that's probably for the best.  My showmanship isn't good enough to pull that off without leaving any hard feelings behind. 

Anyway, I need to head to bed.  I have to wake up early tomorrow, and I'm currently in the wrong timezone.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 19, 2013, 11:56:44 pm »

Jim, if you read this, I'm sorry for what I did.  Knowing what I do now, I'd have come clean from the beginning.

Sure, whatever, apology accepted.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 19, 2013, 11:58:32 pm »

Excellent!

Scelly9 has XL, Tiruin has XLI.

I'd like to stake my claim as mod of XLII.

Because there's absolutely nothing significant about that number.
Scelly! D:

Anyway, glad to see a newother face on these boards ^^

Now the only dramatic option left is for me to follow up this reveal by stealing the KotM Crown.
Y'know...the round still hasn't ended...;D

[...]I didn't know who Book was then[...]
Bookthras is Zathras. That's quite a surprise except that he made a thread about it, good man he is. :P

Also, not to poke on what grievances exist between you and the rest but perhaps you can request a replacement in the current BM (even if it may be D3, My first game ended with me replacing in D3...)

Jim, if you read this, I'm sorry for what I did.  Knowing what I do now, I'd have come clean from the beginning.

Sure, whatever, apology accepted.
Woo! :D

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 27, 2013, 06:46:22 am »

This is the appropriate place to express interest in joining the next round of BM, right?

I've been lurking around here for a while and it seems like a lot of fun; although, my ability to detect scum while reading the games is fairly bad.  I would love to join the next round if escaped lunatics are invited.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 27, 2013, 06:52:47 am »

This is the appropriate place to express interest in joining the next round of BM, right?

I've been lurking around here for a while and it seems like a lot of fun; although, my ability to detect scum while reading the games is fairly bad.  I would love to join the next round if escaped lunatics are invited.

Ah! A new player. I'd reccomend a BM first. Dariush doesn't take kindly to new players joining anything so... Yeah a BM seems right up your alley as it happens to be! I'd go into the Replacement list right now honestly.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 27, 2013, 07:20:03 am »

I read through the current BM, and it seems to be winding down somewhat, so I was planning on waiting for the next round (which would be sometime next month yes?)  Though I'll go talk to Deathsword about getting on the replacement list in the off chance that two players need replacements before the game ends.

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 27, 2013, 10:59:59 am »

If you do go on the replace list, let Deathsword know to move me behind you in line.  Wouldn't want to keep a newcomer out of the game just because I PMed him first.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 27, 2013, 02:32:36 pm »

If you're sure.  I'm more than happy to just sit back and watch other people display their tells; lurking is acceptable in mafia if you're not playing after all.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 27, 2013, 02:34:24 pm »

Hehe, that usually doesn't work too well.  You should play.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 27, 2013, 02:51:39 pm »

Okay, still waiting for the next round, but now also waiting for the current game.  While we're(I'm) waiting, I was wondering if the more experienced players had advice on the scum day-game; especially avoiding giving away you team-mates?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 27, 2013, 02:58:32 pm »

The best advice I can give for scum is to completely forget that you are scum during the day.  Read the game just as you would if you were town, and attack the targets Town You would- even if they're your teammates.  Don't not attack (or attack!) someone just because they're on your team.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 27, 2013, 03:06:53 pm »

The best advice I can give for scum is to completely forget that you are scum during the day.  Read the game just as you would if you were town, and attack the targets Town You would- even if they're your teammates.  Don't not attack (or attack!) someone just because they're on your team.

This includes forgetting things that you know as scum but shouldn't as town. For example, if the number of Scum hasn't been posted by the Mod, you don't know how many scum there are. Or, if two players are killed during the night, you don't know which was a Mafia kill. Things like that are the type of slip-up that can easily get scum caught by an attentive town.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 27, 2013, 03:12:40 pm »

Playing a sort of free for all in terms of scumhunting when you're on the scum team works well. Generally, making sure you end up looking clean, even if it means going after your scumbuddies, is more important than the survival of any given member of the scum team. (There are exceptions to this depending on gametype and role. Obviously, if the scum team loses when a special scum member is lynched, it's a bad idea to hunt him.)

I also advise that you never panic, ever. If you feel like panicking, do something besides mafia for a while until you don't feel like panicking. Then do it a little longer because you're probably overestimating your ability to remain unpanicked. Staying cool and collected is one of the most valuable assets a member of the scum team can have.

To add to this, players can smell your fear in this game, which might surprise you since we play over a forum. They are keenly aware of when someone is panicking and when someone is panicking is the best time to attack; a panicking player cannot maintain their facade so they drop tells like crazy and can give themselves up.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 03:17:01 pm by Jim Groovester »
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 69