Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13

Author Topic: Atempting the Cave Challenge  (Read 24959 times)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Atempting the "Cave Challenge"
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2011, 09:18:07 pm »

I'm actually gonna forbid the depot when the first dwarf caravan finishes unloading, wait for the liason to ask me what I need most, let the caravan leave, then stockpile all the loot and save the metal for melting or let the human caravan in, then sell some of my loot to them and buy up as much bronze crap as I can.

I have no giant shrooms yet, and I'm afraid of digging down deeper until I have at least 3 squads of Camp Guardsdwarves; 2 for base camp and one for the next camp, 2 squads of Camp Guard Archers; 1 for each camp, recruited enough Cavern Explorers to map out the first layer, enough Cavern Rangers to secure the cavern, enough wood to build beds to accommodate the expedition deeper, and enough stone to build walls to fortify my camps.

So let's see, 10 camp guards, 10 guard archers, two diggers, a shroom-chopper, a farmer, and potentially a metalworker, if I find magma. That's 25 extra logs for 25 beds. 1 stone for a magma smelter, another for a for--wait... Ah, SHIT!!! I COMPLETELY neglected to bring an anvil. Maybe the dwarf caravan will have one or three. Another stone for... Never mind. And LOTS of stone for walls to fortify my camps.

I hope I'll find water, because I removed the alcohol dependence tag for dwarves, so when I run out of booze, I'll need water to keep them alive.

Current Plans:
Military--Needs leather and bone, which I lack at this point. Also requires copper, but I neglected to bring a metalworker or an extra stone for a smelter and forge.
Farming--My surviving Guard is also a Novice Grower. I'll need to set up a 4x4 farm plot for Plump Helmets.
Metal industry--Only weapons will be forged, but I'll need a metalworker migrant before ANYTHING involving metal can be done.
Shelter--I'm not making houses of any kind, just beds in a walled off area somewhere in a camp, with a chest close to it. Walls will be made of stone mined out from marble mines one level above the breach and chert two levels higher.
Exploration--Waiting for more migrants to throw into my camp guard, then I'll worry about exploration.
Dealing with Natives--Hoping for friendlies. Leather and bone armor with copper swords is most likely useless against hostiles. I'm annoyed that they can't trade with you.
Deeper Expeditions--Postponed until I get a sufficiently large working military.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2011, 09:19:51 pm »

For some reason I started a cloth industry.  Seeing as how I haven't built a trade depot and likely won't, don't know why. Would it be acceptable to use it to give gifts and eventually attract the king--he seems kinda cool king/sworddwarf.  I imagine he'd actually be a fun noble to have around and give an adamantine blade.
Giving away stuff is fine, but hauling it up can be a pain. It helps to increase migration and to remind the surface that you're alive and thriving.
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2011, 09:23:26 pm »

Update: I've got a Gorlak wandering about. I'm ill-prepared and equipped to fight off an attack at this point and an animal-man skirmish is certainly gonna kill my expedition. Military is outta the question, all I got is a hatchet-armed shroom-chopper and a pick-wielding digger.

Update 2: I've found at this point three troglodytes coming on the map. They'll for sure ruin my day.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 09:26:28 pm by UristMcHuman »

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2011, 09:32:48 pm »

Update, Fortress #6-
The fortress of, randomly generated name, CavernFell (adjective, not verb: scarry place), is mainly placed in the 1st cavern. Three z-levels of 3 rock formations hold my fort. The two largest ones, that hold my main fort, are suspended over a lake. A bridge connects Main Fort prt.1 to the cavern floor, and another bridge connects Main Fort prt.1 and prt.2. The other part of the fort, which I've named Agri Fort because it holds seeds and farmers quarters, is pretty far away near an open expanse of land. I've got a large underground passage between Agri Fort and a fortified stalagtite watchpost in front of Main Fort prt.1, and ranger passages carved into the sides of cave walls in case I need to reach out and touch something.

Embarked with 2 Doctors, 2 Miners, and 3 Swordsdwarves. Luckily, I found some obsidian on the way down, so my Swordsdwarves are armed in Obsidian Swords and Tower-Cap Shields. Not a lot, but enough to kill Trogs.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 09:35:54 pm by franti »
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2011, 09:34:22 pm »

Update: I've got a Gorlak wandering about. I'm ill-prepared and equipped to fight off an attack at this point and an animal-man skirmish is certainly gonna kill my expedition. Military is outta the question, all I got is a hatchet-armed shroom-chopper and a pick-wielding digger.

Update 2: I've found at this point three troglodytes coming on the map. They'll for sure ruin my day.

If you attack a group of Trogs with unarmed dwarves, a numerical advantage of approx 2 to 1 will result in victory with no major casualties. A singlie Miner with a pick is worth at least 3 Trogs, provided he's skilled.

And you'll notice most creatures aren't omnipotent: they wander around. There's a giant toad ~20 tiles from my farms, but he's so deep in a lake he won't notice them.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 09:37:15 pm by franti »

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2011, 09:46:00 pm »

I got a copper hatchet-toting shroom-chopper and my digger is hacking away at stone with a copper pick. Those are the absolute ONLY weapons I have. My modded in hatchets are relatively weak and small, but they can still chop down trees. My modded ax weapon is slightly weaker than a conventional battle-axe, and costs about as much as a pick. Copper ax, 44, pick, 44, you get the idea. My copper hatchets cost a mere 28 points. I saved quite a bit on embark modding in those weapons.

Cable

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_OPEN_DOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2011, 09:47:20 pm »

I'm going to try this, but using migrants seems unfair.
I usually have more fun with only seven dwarves anyway.
It's possible that I understand better what's going on, or it's equally possible that I just think I do.

— Russ Cox

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2011, 10:03:52 pm »

I've seen that taking away a dwarf's alcohol dependence tag does nothing. They still wait till they're dehydrated before drinking water, I've heard.

Dammit, I only brought enough booze to last about 2 seasons.

Inkster

• Bay Watcher
  • Lost in time
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2011, 11:16:44 pm »

I tried once just now, but it ended very quickly after encountering swarms of badger men on the surface and then troglodytes underneath, along with a troll. Note to self: bring actual weapons for the soldiers.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2011, 08:03:16 am »

Ok, trying this challenge in earnest this time, and heres what I'm starting with:

Mildly-savage terrain (GCS's, yes please!)
Deep Metals, Flux Stone
Aquifers, Weather, and Exotic Beasts turned off.
Pop cap 20, with 200% allowed children (Or is it 200 max children.. not sure how that works in the LNP)

The 7:

Mafol "Squashedcraft", The Doctor
Proficient Diagnostician
Adequate Wound Dresser
Novice Surgeon
Novice Bone Doctor
Novice Suturer

Ovon "Cavernfenced", The Farmer
Proficient Grower
Adequate Herbalist
Adequate Brewer
Novice Cook

Doren "Boardfissures", The Mechanic
Proficient Mechanic
Proficient Miner

Nil "Yorwhip", The Mason
Proficient Mason
Proficient Miner

Ustuth "Palacesoothe", The Carpenter
Proficient Carpenter
Proficient Wood Cutter

Lor "Spearfancies", The Commander
Proficient Fighter
Proficient Dodger

Inod "Violencehelms", The Captain
Proficient Fighter
Proficient Dodger

Supplies:

Two Copper Picks
One Copper Battle-Axe
One Steel Anvil

Five Seeds of Each Underground Crop, minus Dimple Cups

Thirty of Each Type of Alcohol - One years worth
Forty Cave Fish - Eight Months worth

The Fortress of Basementcalled

As for the wagon animals, I'll be leaving them upstairs.. the immigrants can have them, as they'll have to survive on the surface.  I won't be allowing any immigrants downstairs, so hopefully I'll get some children.  Any and all animals will have to be captured and tamed from the caves..

Hopefully theres some good metals down there.  Anything weapon and armor-grade is fine with me, even if its nothing but copper.  Tetrahedrite wouldn't be half bad actually, as it means silver warhammers galore.  And if the deep metals are something like gold.. well, at least we'll be living fancily.

Wish me luck :D

Edit: O.O Oh bawls, My cave fortress just got alot more ‼FUN‼

Spoilers:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 08:29:36 am by Crustypeanut »
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2011, 08:36:46 am »

My cavern fort is appropriately (?) called Cavecamps, as I intend to make several settlements and encampments throughout all of the caverns, layers 1 through 3, though expansion plans are postponed.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2011, 08:50:48 am »

Lol well, that fort lasted long.  Too many zombies.. sure the guard handled them nicely, even unarmed, but then the jabberer came and ripped everyone to shreds.
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2011, 08:56:09 am »

Why were the migrants not in the caves? And how did your dwarves not become dorfsicles while they mined into the caverns?

In dwarf fortress, much like in real life, subterranean areas have a more moderate, fixed temperature. I don't know how advanced this mechanic is, but it managed to protect the initial settlers, and even saved the migrants after they stole some picks from the caravan, despite some having frostbite on their skulls, ribs and teeth (bones seem to be damaged by cold before other tissues for some reason).
Which doesn't help if the dwarves get frostbite while idling around the wagon, waiting for Urist McMiner to finish the new meeting area.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2011, 09:21:43 am »

Update: A Troglodyte is chasing my doctor's assistant around, and she is, in effect, revealing more cavern space as she tries to run away.

Update 2: She's fighting the trog back when it grabbed her by the nose. At least one of my doctors is getting some experience... the hard way...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 09:25:48 am by UristMcHuman »

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2011, 09:31:46 am »

Units:
4 Delvers: Proficient Miners, Competent Fighters, Adequate Dodgers
2 Doctors: Adequate Surgery, Wound Dressing, etc
1 Weaponcrafter: Proficient Stonecrafter, Competent Carpenter, Adequate Bone Carver

1st cavern is composed of Granite and Obsidian, so I know that once I find some copper and get a good wood burning setup I can get Bronze.
Moved to 2nd cavern: it has water and wide open spaces. Digging to 3 to get trees to spread.
So far, so good. Brought a Dog, who I'll be eating as soon as I can catch/train Naked Mole Dogs. The Dog killed a Helmet Snake and 3 Crundle with no injury, though, so maybe it deserves life.

Migrants:
4 Agri-workers, re-purposed as farmers.
2 Masons
2 Fisherdwarves, re-purposed as swordsdwarves
1 Jeweler
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13