Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rogue-like ASCII (Unicode) MMO  (Read 7625 times)

yamamushi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
Rogue-like ASCII (Unicode) MMO
« on: July 22, 2011, 03:35:31 pm »

Hello Everyone,

I'm just stopping by to mention a project that a few friends and I are working on, and to maybe find a few people interested in helping to develop our little game :-P

We're currently building the framework for the project, and implementing development tools and project organization tools for everyone who comes onboard. We're working around the clock to start publishing and to get us into an alpha release asap.

Feel free to stop by our website and drop into our IRC for more info on how you can help :-)

Main Page:
http://www.theasciiproject.com/

You're probably looking for an overview of what this project is all about:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Other important links:

Seeking Open Positions:
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 01:02:13 pm by yamamushi »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Re: Rogue-like ASCII (Unicode) MMO
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 04:37:55 pm »

So... You're making a MUD :P

Just kidding. Kinda. What kind of theme are we talking about here? Fantasy, sci-fi, generic? What's your target audience? Roleplayers, WoW-friends, roguelike fans, all three? FTP, semi-FTP, subscription? It'd help people who might be interested if you provided some detail, such as goals other than ASCII MMO - that could mean a lot of things, some not so good, hehe.

You say you want a web interface - this would be Java? If so I might be interested in maintenance work for the chunky bits (I wouldn't trust me with anything database- or authentication-related, but I can bugfix like anyone else, and I actually enjoy it, which is a big plus if you ask me), and my mommy says I'm a passable writer. I also like making for-reals programmers tear their hair out with difficult suggestions. I'll hop into the chat.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

yamamushi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 04:52:52 pm »

:p

I'll just try to answer your questions in the order you asked them...

- Fantasy (but the world allows for future-tech, depending on civilizations researching tech and working together to share resources, more to be discussed in the forums/irc).

- Our audience is pretty much what you described, with a lean towards people who enjoy complex systems with a player run economy.

- FTP , no plays for subscriptions at the moment.

- Web interface could really be anything, java or html or php based. We're working on a designing an open framework API so that people can write anything from their own web tools to their own graphic interface.

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 07:07:06 pm »

I'd be game for playing something like this.  The economy thing could be fun, as well as some dungeon delving.  Good luck on finding staff, you have quite a few open positions!

yamamushi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 07:30:09 pm »

Thanks for the support, we do have quite a few open positions :3

There's two of us, who would rather be writing code, that are working frantically to get all of our community tools online for the project members. We're not really limited to the size of some of our project groups, ie our story groups are going to be a growing team as the project continues.

Git repo's, forums, irc, code browsers, a wiki and a few more tools are awaiting anyone who shows an interest :p

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2011, 08:13:59 pm »

Get something up and running and I'd love to help with a wiki.  Least I could do.  G'luck!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 10:00:39 pm »

Sound production?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 10:07:21 pm »

I'll help with debugging, unit testing, and general programming. I'm fluent with Java, but I do know C++ (I'll just have to dust off my knowledge a little bit).

yamamushi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 10:48:04 pm »

If you guys are interested, hop into the forums or the IRC :-) - I'd prefer the IRC but it's whatever

All of the info is provided at http://www.theasciiproject.com , and the site will be updated as time goes on. For now our priorities are organizing people and getting people the tools they need :-)

yamamushi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 10:53:24 pm »

Sound production?

Music, both for the game and the website. Sound effects for the client, if the client devs decide they want to pursue them.

Edit** Really these are things that should be discussed on our forums, rather than using up bay12's forum space :p

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 01:49:34 am »

I just started learning C++, but I can't even understand my compiler at this point. :(

Maybe when I figure out how to correctly type in the simplest C++ script in the world (literally!) I can help.

EDIT: I could kinda translate it into Estonian. An obscure language that is only used by Estonians (population 1.3 mil).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 01:51:44 am by klingon13524 »
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

getter77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 03:25:35 pm »

You would probably do well to check out Hordes of Tarshish and SilverQuest as relevant fellow travelers to ponder on:

http://www.indiedb.com/games/silverquest
http://tarshish.us/

Tarshish likely has a major step forward going public in a week or so, and SilverQuest semi-recently came back to life after appearing in an earlier form a year or so back.

yamamushi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 06:32:52 pm »

You would probably do well to check out Hordes of Tarshish and SilverQuest as relevant fellow travelers to ponder on:

http://www.indiedb.com/games/silverquest
http://tarshish.us/

Tarshish likely has a major step forward going public in a week or so, and SilverQuest semi-recently came back to life after appearing in an earlier form a year or so back.

Thanks for the heads up!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 07:16:29 am »

dis dead?

yamamushi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 07:27:48 am »

Nope, you just can't see the rest of the forums until you register :p

A lot of us have been back in school, but the two of us that started the project are still coding for a release.

Pages: [1] 2