Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929389 times)

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #120 on: August 05, 2011, 09:37:13 pm »

I also want to see a new Romance of the Three Kingdoms game. They used to come out with one every 1-3 years or so, and it's been four since the last one. I need my ancient-war-in-hand-painted-graphics-style-China-games fix. Having played practically every one that's come out except the first and second ones, and any handheld versions, I'm an avid fan of the series (and the book), and it was hands down the best grand TBS that I encountered on the SNES, Playstation and PS2. The cast of characters, backstory, and history are all there, just needs the updated mechanics and a bit more stuff to do. I particularly liked one version, which allowed you to roam around as someone other than a ruler, adding a bit of RPG element to it as well.

Also, a Dynasty Warriors Empires that is more than just button mashing, mowing through an enemy army solo, and being the sole force behind any victory or defeat, without the crappy random card system thing that decided politics. Give me base building, the ability to set up my traps and trigger them in real time, and degrees of complexity above "go here, mash X until dead, go to next officer, rinse and repeat" formula that the entire series encompasses.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 06, 2011, 12:54:17 am »

Dwarf Fortress 1.00?

Also, I really want an RPG that could be rando-/procedurally generated game, that let you really influence things, and built everything from parts - vehicles, buildings, items, even creatures.  Fantasy, modern, sci-fi... doesn't matter.

So, like, you could design a sweet base, installing an armory, storage and barracks and stuff, or maybe a massive palatial house just to show off.  All the buildings would be built off the same system, too.  Similarly, you could make your own items - pre-existing items basically being the exact same thing, pre-designed - by arranging the parts on your own, swapping out barrels and power sources and magic gems and power sources or whatever you wanted (the thing I always envision with this thing is a giant metal spear-thing you plant someplace, with a big outer casing to keep out weather and deployable ground-latchy things like the Siege Tank has, that acts as a teleporter beacon).  It's efficiency, reliability, and all that would be determined, for the most part, how well your design is - though, maybe some kind of skill would play a part in it.  Similarly, individual items might be better or worse than the base design, depending on who built it - some-guy with [craftskill] 0, or a master craftsman with a huge [craftskill].  Vehicles might be built with the same system, and you could, say, finding a wagon or an APC or something, and slowly tricking it out with a bigger engines, a rare power source, or just more armor plating or whatever.  And if you could get a production center going, you could sell these things to the NPC populace, and it would actually appear in the world.

Like... say, the world starts with normal old iron weapons.  You find fictional-element-x, and you discover it makes a better alloy when mixed with iron.  You now are the inventor of... mithril, or ToadyOneium, or whatever you want to call it.  Now maybe you find some magical crystals.  You could make a staff out of ToadyOneium, stick a magic crystal in it, fiddle with some gubbins to so it shoots straight, scatters more/less, and has a more efficient magic-layzer-output, and then get a building full of people to start cranking them out.  Suddenly, your town local town has magic laser gunwandthings.  If your gunwandthings are easy to make, you'd have basically started the shift of warfare from spears/arrows to guns.

Making creatures out of parts would make it easy to do stuff like make crazy monsters, new races, or body-part-damage.  You could modify creatures in a genetics lab or something, adding wings to scorpions or lionfish quills to bears, or make a genetic abomination from scratch ("more muscles!  Bigger claws!  Holy crap this digestive system I designed is terrible, let's make it better!  More arms!  Lasers in it's eyes!")... or maybe some kind of super-worm that reinvigorates the world's flora after some kind of apocalypse... or maybe just making the ubermensch, who might eventually take over the world's cities and population...  If an arm got hacked off, you could build a robo-arm (with the aforementioned crafting thing :D ) to replace it... or just to gloat, you could kill whoever did it, take his arm, and use that instead.

I'd also like the ability to organize groups, guilds and factions, and have a personality thing, like DF has, as well... every NPC you meet would react to you based off of it.  Depending on personality, kings might rather go to war than negotiate peace.  Small factions would exist in the game - unions, guilds, like I said.  A given group could be anything... Robin Hood's bandits, a cabal of conspirators, bloodthirsty thugs, a neighborhood watch, maybe an independent adventuring party.  You could ask any of these dudes to join you or work for you or whatever... every NPC has their own stats, and such.  ...This sounds pretty much just Future-plans-DF, so yeah.

I guess the TL;DR of it is that I want a super-dynamic world you can see and play in, detailed enough that you can play it through a single character's eyes.

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 06, 2011, 12:57:16 am »

A space strategy game, but with more options. I want to be able to wage war however I like, even if it is ridiculous. I'm a fan of games where you can destroy planets and such, but I feel like there could be more variety to it. Instead of blowing up the planet, what if I released non-native lifeforms on a planet that wreck havoc on the ecosystem? Or maybe destroy their infrastructure and equipment and watch the world fall apart.And of course the ability to terraform planets to be hospitable and such.

Now that I think about it, what I'm looking for is a really good god game with tons of options... :(

Also, a game similar to mount and blade but with much greater scope (I.e. thousands of units or more) with siege equipment and realistic battlefields/castles/towns. Impossible with today's computers, but maybe, someday...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 01:02:18 am by jmancube »

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #123 on: August 06, 2011, 01:54:55 am »

Well I've been lurking on /v/ lately...
and saw this :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A part of myself kinda' died knowing that a game like that doesn't exist. Except SS13 ey.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 06, 2011, 02:01:11 am »

Jagged alliance 3. It's been delayed more often than fucking Duke Nukem Forever, and passed through more hands than a relay stick. I just really really hope they don't fuck it up.
http://forums.techarena.in/video-games/1093390.htm
*mouth foam*

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 06, 2011, 02:08:49 am »

A Wipeout game done in the style of Codemaster's F1 stuff. An actual championship, career mode, vehicle development, silly flavor stuff like post race interviews. Mmm.

And a new MechCommander.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2011, 02:11:19 am »

An actual sequal to Duke Nukem 3d. Not this Failever shit.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2011, 02:37:59 am »

A hardcore Call of Cthulhu party-based RPG. Liberally inspired by the table top games.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2011, 02:46:51 am »

-snip-

-snip again-
  • Ties in with the above, but I'd like quests not to always wait for the player. In a dynamic, procedurally-generated world, the player shouldn't be the only one doing fetch quests. If that poor sap can't find someone to protect him from the Xenon (and their presence should trigger the quest to appear, not the other way around!)... then that guy's out of luck, and he's dead. Don't do this with static quests though, the existence of those pushes me into a completionist mindset and if they expire on me, I get rather upset. xD I just want the world to be able to crumble from collective apathy.

I'd like to expand on that idea: what if, in addition to all the NPCs running around, there were a number of Computer Controlled Players, or CCPs? These guys would run around the world, possibly completing these dynamic quests depending on their personalities and locations. For instance:
  • Idealistic Hero: This CCP would always jump in to save NPCs from danger, and maybe do minor repeatable subquests (go here and kill 10 pirate ships)
  • Greedy Bastard: This CCP would also help NPCs, but only for rewards. If offered enough incentive, they may even switch sides.
  • Trade Tycoon: This CCP would seek a peaceful trading life, taking advantage of supply and demand to make oodles of money. If the player is to slow to take advantage of market trends, this guy may beat the player to the punch.
  • Renegade: Basically, the guy who would rather play as a criminal. Stealing, piracy, even murder are all legitimate tactics in this CCPs eyes.

And yes, the player would be able to interact with these CCPs just like anyone else. They wouldn't be some background force that is never in the same area as you.
Space Rangers already does this for you, after a fashion. Except in the interests of longevity (since quests are unique and finite), CPC's don't "take" quests from you. Other than that, computer-controlled Rangers do everything the player does. Unlike actual "NPC" ships (traders, diplomats, pirates and military), CPC rangers really fly around in search of good equipment, they really converse with each other, form battlegroups. They all have their personalities, though you don't get to see much of those. Cowardly or underequipped Rangers will flee from danger, brave AND underequipped Rangers will follow military ops into an invaded starsystem only to pick up stray debris and avoid actual combat, brave and foolish Rangers will sometimes fly right into the midst of Dominator fleets in an attempt to help a damaged comrade escape, etc. Traders trade, pirates pirate, fighters fight. It's that kind of game, and it's part of what makes it so great. I've come to call Space Rangers a "Massively Singleplayer Game", because it almost plays like an MMO sometimes.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 06, 2011, 03:15:16 am »

http://www.sw3d.net/

a verson of that where parts collided.
Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 395
Images in your signature must be no higher than 80 pixels.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2011, 03:54:25 am »

Give me a game like Wurm Online with true 3d both above and below ground, skeletal avatar and NPC graphics, customizable avatar appearance based on equipment, and a much more customizable magic system.  The real avatar and npc graphics are supposed to be happening *soon* heh.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2011, 06:11:31 am »

Dbuhos, why'd you have to go and post that and make me sad? D:
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2011, 07:29:23 am »

Was going to read this whole thread before adding my own inane comment ("all those games that I've had brilliant ideas about but never got around to realising..."), but briefly checking the posts on the page following the following I can't see anyone mention...

I haven't played corewars, but I do remember playing robocode back in the day.

Robocode dates back to 2001.  Corewars goes back to the early '80s, and is very much more esoteric, given the nature of the battle-environment.

I'd say have a look at it, but Redcode isn't for everyone.  Mind you, I've made a few good experiments into a form of genetic algorithms[1] using it.  Seeing as just about every finely-handcrafted segment of code that I could hope to have developed for it had probably already been created in the decade before I became acquainted with it, and all I could really hope for was something utterly novel that came about through some chance and non-intuitive creation.

[1] Copying from biology, at that time, the idea of "junk code", within which mutations could occur, by having a vast amount of "commented out" assembler that existed only in the Redcode file, not in the core itself.  As long as the resulting Redcode listings did not outright kill itself, mutations in its various offspring[2] could occur either within the read code or comment-masked code, meaning some build up of diversity before some other mutation alters the comment-masking and produces something with a possibly novel (and yet probably crippling) twist.

[2] I played with sexual reproduction, but I had to constrain things so much in order to make sure suitably-compatible "gene"-switching could occur[3] that it changed the nature of the whole process.  If the Darwinian Poetry project had popped up before I shelved this whole idea then I think I might have considered integrating some of its features.  As it was, I think I babbled a lot in its forums about concepts that either project could have made use of.  Another example of not following through on my convictions.

[3] Copying from nature, again, made it a diploid genetic mix by dint of two copies of everything (only one (usually!) active) with some meta-notation/commenting surrounding it in order to allow genetic inheritance in the form of recessive and dominant genetics.  But getting it started meant essentially getting the very simplest Imp, and padding it out with a huge amount of mutation in the artificially multiplied first round of mitosis.  I was going to implement X/Y-like gendering (which, with the associated meta-Redcode could produce gendered differences within a single species-line), but I thought it too arbitrary a system, and really wanted to create a system that could have come up with its own idea of sexual determination (given the many that exist in nature) at some point following on from the original asexual method.  But that would have doubtless required further developments.  I was never looking to try to emulate multicellularism (effectively meaning differentiated daughter-cells, in some manner) or any form of gestation outside of the "Parent[+Parent]=>Child[ren]" system that existed within my 'mutator' program.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2011, 07:35:58 am »

The X series but without the shallow feeling of 2 minute or less capital ship battles and respawning stations. I want to conquer the universe with that fleet I spent my whole virtual life building.

E: And I don't just want some crappy sector take over mod.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2011, 07:39:55 am »

Manhunt 3. It's like Manhunt 1 combatwise, challengewise and maybe even levelwise and it has the gore of Manhunt 2. That would be awesome.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 577