Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929558 times)

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #285 on: August 23, 2011, 10:16:58 am »

A very involved simulation of being a vampire or werewolf. A fully living city, you have to find a place to rest and avoid hunters. The prey you take are taster if you hunt after rich people, but are more guarded. A lot of choices. You can be a nice vampire who tries to help people as much as they can or be the worst vampire that wipes out the entire city, with loads of things inbetween. You can be a werewolf who wishes to control their condition and views it as a disease or be the wild uncontrollable monster. There should be a lot of tension between vampires and werewolves, with your own opinions mattering. You can either take the subway, parkour across the city or just drive, each with it's own benefits.

I like this, would it be a fully graphical game, or something akin to DF? 

Also, this assumes that the populace, or at least a group of humans, knows about these supernatural creatures.  You mind fleshing that out a bit? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 23, 2011, 10:21:15 am »

A very involved simulation of being a vampire or werewolf. A fully living city, you have to find a place to rest and avoid hunters. The prey you take are taster if you hunt after rich people, but are more guarded. A lot of choices. You can be a nice vampire who tries to help people as much as they can or be the worst vampire that wipes out the entire city, with loads of things inbetween. You can be a werewolf who wishes to control their condition and views it as a disease or be the wild uncontrollable monster. There should be a lot of tension between vampires and werewolves, with your own opinions mattering. You can either take the subway, parkour across the city or just drive, each with it's own benefits.

Also, this assumes that the populace, or at least a group of humans, knows about these supernatural creatures.  You mind fleshing that out a bit?

I would take either one. The ASCII option would have some charm, but the graphics would help a bit.

The populace wouldn't know a thing, but at most one quarter of the populace would know what's going on. They'd have varying opinions on learning this new truth. At one end of the spectrum, they'd love the supernaturals. If you came across one of these guys, they'd become your slaves and will do anything for you. At the other end, they'd want to wipe every single supernatural creature off the face of the Earth. They have weapons, they know your weaknesses, but they are just humans. If you are weakened, though, don't go near them. Though, there would be tons of gray in-between, such as "I don't really care that much", "As long as they don't bother me or my family they aren't getting anything" and "Hey, if they pay me, I'll help them."

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 23, 2011, 10:25:42 am »

I would take either one. The ASCII option would have some charm, but the graphics would help a bit.

The populace wouldn't know a thing, but at most one quarter of the populace would know what's going on. They'd have varying opinions on learning this new truth. At one end of the spectrum, they'd love the supernaturals. If you came across one of these guys, they'd become your slaves and will do anything for you. At the other end, they'd want to wipe every single supernatural creature off the face of the Earth. They have weapons, they know your weaknesses, but they are just humans. If you are weakened, though, don't go near them. Though, there would be tons of gray in-between, such as "I don't really care that much", "As long as they don't bother me or my family they aren't getting anything" and "Hey, if they pay me, I'll help them."

So this includes three races: human, vampire, werewolf, with only the latter two being playable.  Anything else?  This really does sound like a cool idea, I want to know where this idea could go. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 23, 2011, 10:32:44 am »

Well, this would only work with the ASCII version, but I think it would be brilliant if there were randomly generated monsters, like DF's night creatures, but with more magical effects, and a bit of eldritchness. If there is, you could have even more interactions with humans. Humans could get curses or powers from defeating or just meeting these monsters. They could even become more powerful then your character, or God Forbid, become hunters! Imagine, you getting chased down an alleyway by a human given the power to transform himself into a demon. This could lead to some very interesting encounters, and give a bigger threat to humans. Plus, it'd be hard to tell them apart from normal hunters.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 23, 2011, 10:42:11 am »

Surprising how many specifically want ASCII/text interfaces... I always liked them myself but still.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 23, 2011, 10:44:08 am »

Surprising how many specifically want ASCII/text interfaces... I always liked them myself but still.

It's simple. It's easy to program. It doesn't lag that much unless you are playing a really huge game like DF.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 23, 2011, 10:45:57 am »

It's not a simulation, really, but if you like stories...  Choice of Vampire is made by the people who made Choice of Dragon.  Decently long, involved, and some choices might come back to haunt you later.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 23, 2011, 10:47:40 am »

It's not a simulation, really, but if you like stories...  Choice of Vampire is made by the people who made Choice of Dragon.  Decently long, involved, and some choices might come back to haunt you later.

I played that, and I enjoyed it. I'm just looking for a game like DF Adventure Mode but set in a modern city and with supernatural creatures. I've kinda wishing for that since I read a few rulebooks on the new world of darkness.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 23, 2011, 10:49:46 am »

It's simple. It's easy to program. It doesn't lag that much unless you are playing a really huge game like DF.

I meant that people prefer the stylistic choice... and, the first one is relative, the second one shouldn't concern most users and lag isn't a common problem in all non-text games.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 23, 2011, 10:50:29 am »

Well, that might explain it... I personally dislike stuff being "promoted" just to get neat numbers though, but that's Toady's choice.

Oh no.  All the CORE items are new.  I don't think any REQs got promoted (or if they did, it was very very few).

We went from one HFS to about three, just as an example.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 23, 2011, 10:52:05 am »

I meant that people prefer the stylistic choice... and, the first one is relative, the second one shouldn't concern most users and lag isn't a common problem in all non-text games.

It could be that we all like DF, and DF is made of ASCII graphics (Or ANSI, or some wizardry) so we associate that with DF, which is quality.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 23, 2011, 10:53:31 am »

Well, that might explain it... I personally dislike stuff being "promoted" just to get neat numbers though, but that's Toady's choice.

Oh no.  All the CORE items are new.  I don't think any REQs got promoted (or if they did, it was very very few).

I'm not sure if making up completely new goals just to get neat numbers is any better, but again, case-by-case basis and Toady's choice...

It could be that we all like DF, and DF is made of ASCII graphics (Or ANSI, or some wizardry) so we associate that with DF, which is quality.

Many play DF with tiles. I personally don't, but many do... (and it's CP437, to be precise)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 23, 2011, 10:58:32 am »

I'm not sure if making up completely new goals just to get neat numbers is any better, but again, case-by-case basis and Toady's choice...

Many play DF with tiles. I personally don't, but many do... (and it's CP437, to be precise)

Doesn't matter. Dwarf Fortress is mostly remembered for it's graphics, it's quality and it's complexity. People tend to combine all of these.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: August 23, 2011, 11:03:19 am »

Doesn't matter. Dwarf Fortress is mostly remembered for it's graphics, it's quality and it's complexity. People tend to combine all of these.

What sort of factions would be in this game?  Other than standard vampire royalty or werewolf clan, or something like that, are there any unique factions, splinter cells, radical movements, etc.  We need video games with unique factions, or even better, RANDOMIZED factions.  But even if they were randomized, there has to be some basic structure.  Any details concerning this.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 23, 2011, 11:09:00 am »

Yep...

On the other hand, ASCII/other text-based is mainly a limited version of "normal" graphics, unless you consider being able to run directly in CLI environments (which DF can't, by the way). It's hard to design good text interfaces if you're doing anything complex. Simple economics - a single ASCII tile wastes a lot of space compared to "free pixels".
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 11:15:23 am by Kay12 »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 577