Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926880 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #615 on: December 30, 2011, 10:29:42 am »

I considered Minecraft, or a Minecraft mod, but what I want is more an improved version of Stranded II. In my opinion, it's adventure game-style crafting system is far superior to Minecraft's "put some items in a box and hope you made something" system. The building interface is a bit too much clicking and it's sometimes hard to see where you're placing a building site in light-colored areas, but the basic idea of having an area where you need to gather your materials is, in a certain way, more fun than building a device out of parts in any old place and plonking it down wherever you feel like. Deon's Stranded II mod made me realize that it's kind of fun having an enemy that you can never truly conquer, only contain, and how fun it can be building defenses in hostile territory. I think a lot of the rest of my idea is inspired by D&D and the general idea of having fun preparing for individual battles or situations.
If you like Stranded II so much, have you tried my mod? It expands crafting a bit and adds some variety (the map is the same though, but it has different biomes).

I stopped developing it because I lack proper animation skills to include new creatures.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: December 30, 2011, 11:45:39 am »

I considered Minecraft, or a Minecraft mod, but what I want is more an improved version of Stranded II. In my opinion, it's adventure game-style crafting system is far superior to Minecraft's "put some items in a box and hope you made something" system. The building interface is a bit too much clicking and it's sometimes hard to see where you're placing a building site in light-colored areas, but the basic idea of having an area where you need to gather your materials is, in a certain way, more fun than building a device out of parts in any old place and plonking it down wherever you feel like. Deon's Stranded II mod made me realize that it's kind of fun having an enemy that you can never truly conquer, only contain, and how fun it can be building defenses in hostile territory. I think a lot of the rest of my idea is inspired by D&D and the general idea of having fun preparing for individual battles or situations.
If you like Stranded II so much, have you tried my mod? It expands crafting a bit and adds some variety (the map is the same though, but it has different biomes).

I stopped developing it because I lack proper animation skills to include new creatures.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: December 30, 2011, 12:29:05 pm »

Ah, thanks. I am sleepy and I didn't read the whole post. I wonder if someone needs it, I've just found it on my old HDD.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: December 30, 2011, 10:47:51 pm »

OMG ENDERMEN, BASED OF SOME ANGEL SH*T FROM SOME BRITISH SHOW
Hmmm...  I am, myself, British.  Can't think what that show would be.

Angels in British shows...  Can't immediately think of many.  The latter in Randall And Hopkirk (Deceased), Mr Bean, the stone angels in Doctor Who (and a few alternate instances in pre-millenium DW), Angel the supposed-to-be-from-the-British-Isles character in Buffy, but that's a stretched attempt.  And none of them look like Endermen.

I did see trailers for a new show coming in the new year on ITV, when I was at my parents' at Christmas.  Eternal Law.  That the one?  If so, I think Leftpondia must have gotten it before us.  But I don't get the idea that they're anything like the MC creatures.

(Don't mind me, just pondering out loud.)

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: December 30, 2011, 10:50:03 pm »

OMG ENDERMEN, BASED OF SOME ANGEL SH*T FROM SOME BRITISH SHOW
Hmmm...  I am, myself, British.  Can't think what that show would be.

Angels in British shows...  Can't immediately think of many.  The latter in Randall And Hopkirk (Deceased), Mr Bean, the stone angels in Doctor Who (and a few alternate instances in pre-millenium DW), Angel the supposed-to-be-from-the-British-Isles character in Buffy, but that's a stretched attempt.  And none of them look like Endermen.

I did see trailers for a new show coming in the new year on ITV, when I was at my parents' at Christmas.  Eternal Law.  That the one?  If so, I think Leftpondia must have gotten it before us.  But I don't get the idea that they're anything like the MC creatures.

(Don't mind me, just pondering out loud.)
I think Doctor Who, "Crying Angels" or something.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: December 30, 2011, 11:04:34 pm »

Jopax? I loved Robot Arena 2! They need to make more modern customization/engineering-based games!

PTTG?? That sounds awesome! I really hope the vehicle can be customized too, instead of just replacing things exactly!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: December 30, 2011, 11:31:15 pm »

I think Doctor Who, "Crying Angels" or something.
Well, I mentioned them.  But they look nothing like 'em, and do the opposite.  Enderman ignore you if you don't look at them[1], and only get nasty when you stare.  The Stone/Crying Angels are vicious SOBs that are only harmless if you keep them in sight and don't blink[2]!

But as that segment of the message that sparked this off was being written in the style of someone who doesn't understand things (ALLCAPS and deliberate grammatical errors, included), I suppose that this is a deliberate misunderstanding that is very much in keeping with that... :)

[1] My experience being only up to 1.8beta (in which I don't think I even have anything I can do with all the Ender Pearls I've accumulated by just going straight in and attacking them, regardless), so it might have changed.  (On top of having something to use the Pearls for, I hear.)

[2] I loved the episode in which they initially appeared.  Mostly the Doctor Who mythos skirts around the flexibility of the timestream, but this episode and the Pompei-based one (in particular) adhere to my "What you go back and do, you've already been back and done" idea.  There are early (especially pre-Baker[3]) episodes in which flexibility is shown, plus various strangenesses like that of subverting the Tardis's Paradox Device for massive history-changing events (Mr Saxon[4]'s first post-reboot interference with Earth), but I do like it when it's all self-consistent, and still gives a good story with intrigue.

[3] Tom, as well as Colin.

[4] "Mister Saxon", actually, given what that's an anagram of.

[X] Not that this has anything to do with the thread at hand.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: December 31, 2011, 06:23:12 pm »

What is it an anagram of? Taxes Minors? Smear Toxins?

There are 7560 possible ones on the first site I checked.
http://wordsmith.org/anagram/anagram.cgi?anagram=Mister+Saxon&t=1000&a=n

BastiBasti

• Bay Watcher
  • ‼SCIENCE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: December 31, 2011, 06:25:57 pm »

A game of sparta. You have to think of more darastic and evil ways to train your milatary as their skill incrises, to the point or cutting the top half of their skull off and making them figh 1,000's of enimies.

Ninteen45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: December 31, 2011, 07:22:02 pm »

I think Seek & Destroy was sort of like that, In that you could customize what weapons and accessories your tank used.

Seek and Destroy was the most amazing game I had for PS2. That, Road Trip Adventure, Jackie Chan the videogame and Cel Damage Overdrive.

Cel Damage overdrive meets TF2.
Max characters: 500; characters remaining: 395
Images in your signature must be no higher than 80 pixels.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: December 31, 2011, 07:34:03 pm »

A game of sparta. You have to think of more darastic and evil ways to train your milatary as their skill incrises, to the point or cutting the top half of their skull off and making them figh 1,000's of enimies.
Try Dwarf Fortress.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: January 01, 2012, 12:17:36 am »

The Stone/Crying Angels are vicious SOBs that are only harmless if you keep them in sight and don't blink[2]!

[2] I loved the episode in which they initially appeared.  Mostly the Doctor Who mythos skirts around the flexibility of the timestream, but this episode and the Pompei-based one (in particular) adhere to my "What you go back and do, you've already been back and done" idea.  There are early (especially pre-Baker[3]) episodes in which flexibility is shown, plus various strangenesses like that of subverting the Tardis's Paradox Device for massive history-changing events (Mr Saxon[4]'s first post-reboot interference with Earth), but I do like it when it's all self-consistent, and still gives a good story with intrigue.

Doctor Who uses whatever method of time travel is appropriate for the plot to make sense.

Essentially it's Fixed Timelines when they want it to be (standard issue, see Pompeii) Paradox Space when it suits them (see the episode where the companion went and saved her father's life) Branching when appropriate (see the season finale with Rose) and Non-Paradox Alterable on occasion (see the season finale when Rose erased the Daleks from existence).

Heck, they've even done Stable Time Loops (see: Bad Wolf, Turn Left, and the episode Blink).

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: January 01, 2012, 08:14:50 am »

I just want another Warhammer 40,000 game. The RTSs were good but Space Marine was just a bit too much "One squad of Ultramarines takes on an entire Chaos army. All is well."
There are two types of games that would really scratch this itch:

1) An FPSRTS where you can play as any of the factions and create an army in order to fight through a series of battlefields i.e Dawn of War (but with the style of mission changed slightly once started, i.e. the tabletop game). The battles are fought from the point of view of the commander and the AI controls the rest of the army. You can give tactical commands to any squad you are 'joined' to but can also give strategic commands on a menu (i.e. Battlefield 2). No respawning, if you die you can quantum leap into the body of any unit's officer (i.e Arma 2).

2) A Skyrim style game where you are an Inquisitor's Acolyte. You would conduct investigations under orders from your Inquisitor, preferably procedurally generated in a minor way (Radical or Puritan Inquisitor, clues are in a slightly different location, different mooks than last time you played it). What would ideally make this a great game is the fact that you would be assisted by two-to-four other acolytes (with difficulty adjusted accordingly) that would have a generated backstory and motivations. Between missions they would go and upgrade their equipment by their own preferences and would choose their skills and talents automatically. This would allow for different support characters each playthrough and could result in some interesting moments like when you discover that Everet Rollon, sniper extraordinaire, is actually a Nascent Psyker and you have the choice of turning in a powerful ally or risking excommunication for an abhuman.

The problem with both these ideas is that they would take so much work to make.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 01, 2012, 09:23:48 am »

What [Mister Saxon] an anagram of? Taxes Minors? Smear Toxins?

Doctor Who uses whatever method of time travel is appropriate for the plot to make sense.
Yeah, was just giving my aesthetic preference.  (Me, not Ultravalican, mis-step on the quote editing, there, but ne'er mind.)

I'd have actually said that Turn Left wasn't an STL, because it was more "branch and recover", while Pompeii was an STL, because he could have 'let it be different' but took part in making it adhere to History, as opposed to not stop it like in Genesis of the Daleks.  But that's a fine and infinitely arguable point.  As is the nature of GotD, given his main issue was not paradox but "having the right to wipe out an entire race", that apparently he delayed their initial expansion, that his presence may have aided the project in some ways... Also, differences between original TV episodes and dead-tree-format accounts.

Also don't forget the 'crack in time' thing that accompanied Amy Pond's introductory series.  And the fact that original-Rory was 'forgotten', as were loads of others, never to have been.  (Except that we still have Rory, thanks to the Roman Legion thing.  Though after the whole Melody thing gets revealed, sorted out, etc., I've lost track of whether he's as he was when a Roman or not.)

With so many writers around, over the time that DW has been produced, most of the 'consistency' comes from retcons, when a later writer justifies their own direction (or allows them to meld two apparently contradictory previous developments in the Whoniverse).

I don't know if anyone knows which one was the one where an us-contemporaneous companion said how the ?Martian? invaders must not have defeated Earth of historic times, because they hadn't before they went back, so the Doctor took here back to 'now' to show her the desolation, before going back (interestingly precise control of the Tardis, on that occasion[1]) and preventing the whole mess like they needed to.

Anyway, computer games based on Doctor Who may also have to take this into account. Or hand-wave them.  Haven't played the recent things on/from the BBC web-site, all fancy graphics and so, but I still have, somewhere, the BBC Microcomputer game, on cassette tape, which while some elements were pretty much merely 'branded' versions of other game concepts (e.g. the Frogger-clone element), had a nod to the Doctor Who mythos in other areas.  But it's been a while since I've played it (I don't even know if the tape still works, actually).

So, a Doctor Who game of today would probably have an element of...  darnit... time travel video game, roughly contemperaneous with Sam & Max, but visit Geoge Washington.  Forgotten the name.  But by working in different time-periods with different characters you basically did a Bill And Ted in getting things to happen in one period by getting someone to do something in the earlier period.

The biggest problem with that is getting the game design.  And ideally (back to the idea of "games I would like") in a more sandbox-looking environment, rather than an On Rails adventure.  But does that mean many more points of game-failure and not even knowing that you're stuck after doing the wrong thing until far later than your initial error.

[1] But we now know that the Tardis is probably the one in control, anyway.  Most of the time.  :)

edit: Whoops, somehow inserted a completely different reply in there, somehow.  Also, adding a comment.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 09:39:36 am by Starver »

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 01, 2012, 10:06:19 am »

A game like Space Pirate and Zombies but being able to play as the zombies or a RTS with a zombie faction like what Halo Wars could of been but less crappy...or really any game were i can play as a zombie not multiplayer only like Dead Space 2 or Left for Dead
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 10:12:10 am by Alkhemia »
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 577