Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926885 times)

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #735 on: March 13, 2012, 07:17:44 pm »

I'd like to see an multiplayer RTS with more than one viable strategy.

edit: sorry I'm being vague. Its just that I've been playing supcom and once you get down the nitty gritty analysis of an RTS economy and DPS and such, it makes good features of the game completely useless by comparison to the 'best strategies' that come out of this analysis.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 07:20:29 pm by darkrider2 »

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: March 13, 2012, 07:37:09 pm »

edit: sorry I'm being vague. Its just that I've been playing supcom and once you get down the nitty gritty analysis of an RTS economy and DPS and such, it makes good features of the game completely useless by comparison to the 'best strategies' that come out of this analysis.

I think SupCom is just unusually bad in this regard. From my experience playing it, most of the factions' units are incredibly similar (definitely in terms of core design, perhaps less so statistically) and they only open up a bit at higher tech levels. It's definitely an issue that crops up all over the genre, but a lot of other games are less serious cases.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: March 13, 2012, 08:09:59 pm »

I'd like to see an multiplayer RTS with more than one viable strategy.

AI War: Fleet Command, circa 3.8.

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #738 on: March 13, 2012, 08:30:32 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...Dwarf Fortress?

KG

no.. dwarf fortress lacks a good portion of what that suggestion for a game contained. Sure dwarf fortress has lots of depth, but its not the same as what im thinking of in any way bar the management prospects. if youde played the games mentioned in this then you would know what i was on about.

It might lack some of those right now, but as Putnam mentioned, most of the features you described are either already in place or planned:

You get to controll a base and design it in a 3d environment, see things live and grow in it, depend it etc. You get to make it look awesome or descend down to see it at eye level. Towering keeps, deep dungeons, epic gulfs. small quaint towns. All awash with NPC inhabitants who have routines to do, react propperly, and move as fluidly as the player in first person mode. The NPC's require food and work to make sure they have ample supply etc.

Essentially what DF is right now, minus the graphical front end you describe, which I believe is in the far-future dev plans.  Build a base, NPC dwarves run their routines.

Essentialy youde have a Party, clan, guild, faction and kingdom system. You start as a party of freinds, this grows into like minded incividuals who you trust and fight by the side of, you grow into a guild were you get to make your mark and develop your buisness prospects, you then turn into a faction with millatery might, and through this you get to become a kingdom. In the end its all out war and treachery with diplomacy. 

Planned for adventure mode in DF, if I remember correctly.

all the wile your on a procedurally generated map server with its own resources that are finite etc with monsters (giants etc) who you could potentialy capture and put to your cause and wildlife. new deposits etc can be found in places and the gear of your foes can all be salvaged and refit for purpose.

Procedural generation is already in DF, along with new deposits and refitting opponents' gear.

What exactly is it that you described that you feel DF isn't covering?

KG

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: March 13, 2012, 09:03:17 pm »

@3, whats up with your avatar every time I hit view image on it it gives me something different each time.  ???

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: March 13, 2012, 09:14:24 pm »

@3, whats up with your avatar every time I hit view image on it it gives me something different each time.  ???

His image is linked to a file on a server that generates a new image every time it's requested.  It's a simple PHP script in reality.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: March 13, 2012, 09:56:09 pm »

<snip a bit> mailable terrain <snip a lot>

Can you send me a Rhode Island, certified?

Sorry, couldn't resist the inner snark.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: March 13, 2012, 11:15:58 pm »

Sorry, couldn't resist the inner snark.

Is ok.  My last snark went unappreciated.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: March 13, 2012, 11:20:57 pm »

A sequel to the Battletanx series

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: March 14, 2012, 09:14:05 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...Dwarf Fortress?

KG

no.. dwarf fortress lacks a good portion of what that suggestion for a game contained. Sure dwarf fortress has lots of depth, but its not the same as what im thinking of in any way bar the management prospects. if youde played the games mentioned in this then you would know what i was on about.

It might lack some of those right now, but as Putnam mentioned, most of the features you described are either already in place or planned:

You get to controll a base and design it in a 3d environment, see things live and grow in it, depend it etc. You get to make it look awesome or descend down to see it at eye level. Towering keeps, deep dungeons, epic gulfs. small quaint towns. All awash with NPC inhabitants who have routines to do, react propperly, and move as fluidly as the player in first person mode. The NPC's require food and work to make sure they have ample supply etc.

Essentially what DF is right now, minus the graphical front end you describe, which I believe is in the far-future dev plans.  Build a base, NPC dwarves run their routines.

Essentialy youde have a Party, clan, guild, faction and kingdom system. You start as a party of freinds, this grows into like minded incividuals who you trust and fight by the side of, you grow into a guild were you get to make your mark and develop your buisness prospects, you then turn into a faction with millatery might, and through this you get to become a kingdom. In the end its all out war and treachery with diplomacy. 

Planned for adventure mode in DF, if I remember correctly.

all the wile your on a procedurally generated map server with its own resources that are finite etc with monsters (giants etc) who you could potentialy capture and put to your cause and wildlife. new deposits etc can be found in places and the gear of your foes can all be salvaged and refit for purpose.

Procedural generation is already in DF, along with new deposits and refitting opponents' gear.

What exactly is it that you described that you feel DF isn't covering?

KG

key parts: combat like savage: battle for newerth in fluidity and style, 3d environments and destructability simular to red faction and project offset, player to player interactions across servers that are mainly perpetual things. The management aspect and building things i was meaning as from planning them out as blue prints, then doing things in person, not as some god down mode. some of the possible epic scale of dwarf fortress would go down nice as well.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #745 on: March 14, 2012, 01:30:52 pm »

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: March 14, 2012, 02:06:48 pm »

Dwarf Fortress + Mount & Blade + Medieval 2: Total War

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: March 14, 2012, 05:09:15 pm »

Also totally getting [urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7eREddMjt4&feature=player_embedded&fmt=22]this[/url] when it comes out.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: March 14, 2012, 05:13:24 pm »

Also totally getting this when it comes out.
IF it ever comes out.
(fixed your link, btw)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #749 on: March 15, 2012, 10:33:33 am »

Infinity is a lot like Duke Nukem Forever: Cursed with a too-accurate name.
Now Outerra, on the other hand, looks like it might actually release some day.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 577