Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929258 times)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #930 on: May 17, 2012, 08:09:58 pm »

There's only one thing you need to know in Dungeons and Dragons, Magic Missile. 

Need to open a door? Magic Missile. 
Need to slay a dragon? Magic Missile.
Need to get rid of an orc that wants to live in a human town? Magic Missile.
Need to disarm a trap? Magic Missile.
Need to rescue a princess? Magic Missile the quest giver, take his gold pouch and then go to the tavern.
Need to slay a creature with magic immunity? Magic Missile and then Magic Missile again.

All you'll ever need is a mage with a Ring of Wizardly on every finger and a spellbook filled with Magic Missile.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: May 17, 2012, 08:13:09 pm »

A version of mafia for the android platform.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: May 17, 2012, 08:26:33 pm »

Don't forget using Polymorph Any Object on a herd of cattle (making them small pebbles), collecting them, then shoving them one by one under the gap under the door.  Then running for the hills in whatever amount of the 10 minutes is left on the spell's duration.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: May 17, 2012, 08:40:40 pm »

Need to open a door? Magic Missile. 
Need to slay a dragon? Magic Missile.
Need to get rid of an orc that wants to live in a human town? Magic Missile.
Need to disarm a trap? Magic Missile.
Need to rescue a princess? Magic Missile the quest giver, take his gold pouch and then go to the tavern.
Need to slay a creature with magic immunity? Magic Missile and then Magic Missile again.

All you'll ever need is a mage with a Ring of Wizardly on every finger and a spellbook filled with Magic Missile.
Anything that can't be done by Magic Missile can be done by Duct Tape.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: May 17, 2012, 08:41:04 pm »

[...]

Despite all that, I've got a soft spot in my heart for Air Wall.  Found useful as everything from shielding against missile weapons to becoming an impromptu surface to allow one to traverse gaps, at first, it really came into its own in naval combat.

Being chased by hostile ships, a little mystical waving of the arms deployed this invisible barrier as a rather nasty stealth obstacle into which various pursuing vessels ploughed, with hilarious results.  And did the fun stop when the magic ran out and no more Air Walls could be conjured into being?  No, for (despite being ineffectual) the same waving of the arms at an opportune moment in front of a ship whose crew were now cognisant of the threat (easily identified as being caused by the annoyingly cheerful wizard sat upon the stern of their quarry) caused them to conduct an unnecessary and somewhat counter-productive evasive manoeuvre straight into the only other remaining boat from the hostile fleet...

There were other interesting adaptations (without, of course, a 100% success rate), but this was the true moment of crowning glory.

(Just remember, folks, one trick ponies invariably fall flat on their face.  As did, quite literally, one Force-user in a a Star Wars RPG game, who had relied too much upon favourable dice-rolls insofar as a self-levitation feat of Force usage.  And, of course, his luck ran out at the most entertaining time, i.e. as he was casually staring down through a plate-glass sky-light of a warehouse at the activities of the enemy's workforce, within...  The dice know what they're doing, man, and they're playing a game with us!)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: May 17, 2012, 09:54:21 pm »

[...]

Despite all that, I've got a soft spot in my heart for Air Wall.  Found useful as everything from shielding against missile weapons to becoming an impromptu surface to allow one to traverse gaps, at first, it really came into its own in naval combat.

Personally I'm a fan of Ice Ship.

No where in the spell does it say that the galleon (made of ice) that you summon must be summed in water....

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: May 17, 2012, 11:41:45 pm »

Personally I'm a fan of Ice Ship.
For a moment there, I was imagining a Pykrete vessel, before re-realising the realm that this conversation was referring to. ;)

Indeed, though.  I can see how useful a huge chunk of boat-shaped ice could be in so many situations...  I applaud the concept wholeheartedly!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: May 18, 2012, 07:58:16 am »

Indeed, though.  I can see how useful a huge chunk of boat-shaped ice could be in so many situations...  I applaud the concept wholeheartedly!

We kept trying to drop it on people.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: May 18, 2012, 10:01:32 am »

bonus points for summoning it IN people.

Can't.  No line of sight. ;)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: May 18, 2012, 10:06:06 am »

That isn't necessarily a good idea.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: May 18, 2012, 10:09:35 am »

That isn't necessarily a good idea.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Actually, that was pretty much the point.  And there weren't ever any friendlies to worry about crushing anyway.  We were in a prison full of evil things.

Nulzilcho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: May 18, 2012, 10:38:50 am »

bonus points for summoning it IN people.

Can't.  No line of sight. ;)

Until they open their mouth to speak.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: May 18, 2012, 12:18:26 pm »

Y'all are forgetting the perfectly useful non-violent things a ship made of ice can be used for:

Dominating an ice sculpture competition.
Wedding or some other large party has a broken refrigerator? BAM! Instant ice box.
Said ice box can also be chipped away for use as ice in drinks.
Shaved ice ship sno-cones.
Keeping pet penguins.

And so on and so forth.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: May 18, 2012, 01:01:59 pm »

I somewhat expect that a giant ice ship won't exactly balance on its keel. Unless the ship we're talking about is a flat bottomed barge or an eastern junk.

So yes, it is quite possible that a mundane use of an ice ship would still result in blood.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: May 18, 2012, 01:50:39 pm »

Until they open their mouth to speak.

Not really.

In any case, Ice Ship is 1st edition's Create Water.
("I create water inside that guy's lungs")
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 577