Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929402 times)

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #1035 on: June 18, 2012, 07:17:06 pm »

Personally I wish someone would remake SimEarth, for a more complex simulation with the processing power of modern computers. Also an interface which isn't terrible, though I suppose it wouldn't be so terrible if not for dosbox.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1036 on: June 18, 2012, 08:45:30 pm »

Is it bad that my first thought at instruments was Mabinogi?
You can do all of that stuff on there, IIRC, it sounds almost like he's TRYING to describe it.
Looking into it, it seems interesting. I'm not too fond of the animu style, but I do think might try it out.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: June 19, 2012, 03:00:20 am »

Less post-apocalyptic and more pre-or-right-in-the-middle-of the-apocalypse games
Like Death of Grass or the opening chapters of Day of the Triffids. Could be great.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: June 19, 2012, 07:50:28 am »

Today I was thinking of a game I wish existed. Skip to the bottom if you want to know right away, because first I will start by calling out the problems with your typical cRPG.

1) Finite, Small Worlds

Firstly, pretty much whatever the cRPG is, the player knows at the start that they are in an extremely finite world. Not only is it possible to physically visit every location, every dungeon every house - but you might well expect that you must do so in order to complete the game. Each NPC can be spoken to, each dialogue possibility uncovered, every quest completed (excluding those perhaps limited to certain classes, but these are rare). Classic examples would be the last three Elderscrolls games. A rare counter example would be Daggerfall, where the world is, for all intents and purposes, quite boundless.

2) Static World

Kind of building on 1. Not only are worlds generally finite and small, but also they are static. Nations do not rise and fall, people do not move from town to town, etc.

3) The player is the sole real changing element.

Building on 2. Everything else stays the same, while you develop. However, no matter how powerful you get, or how far you rise in the ranks of a guild or what have you, your role in the world always remains pretty much the same - the typically lone adventurer.

OK, ok - so now it should be clear what I want.

I want a first person perspective cRPG like what we have been seeing recently, yet with a near boundless, generated world that is non-static, and for the player to be able to effect change in that world. You got it, I want Dwarf Fortress adventure mode in polished first person form. I want intentionally less detailed characters so that hundreds can exist on the screen at once no problem. I want to participate in actual battles that actually change the political map of the world. I want to be able to lead groups, up to and including whole armies, Total War style. I want to be able to walk around cities that actually have thousands of NPCs in them, where I do not go up to each one attempting to systematically exhaust their dialogue options.

Surely this is not beyond the ability of modern game designers? Also, surely this game would have a big market. Why is it not happening already?!?!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 08:14:35 am by Yolan »
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: June 19, 2012, 02:34:36 pm »

It is, it's called Dwarf Fortress >_>

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: June 19, 2012, 02:44:30 pm »

Mount & Blade hits quite a few of your criteria.

While the worlds are finite, they are definitely not small.
Armies are raised and destroyed, cities and fortresses are sacked and conquered, entire nations can crumble if things go badly enough for them.
Building on the above statement, you start as a lone adventurer, but before long you're leading mercenary troops and eventually entire armies. There is also no guarantee that your mission objectives will stay where they are; say you need to deliver a letter to the king. You ride to the capital to discover that he left with his army. You track the army down only to discover that the king was captured in battle. You can then track the other army, attack it, and free the king to deliver your message. Or you can say "nuts to that" and go kill bandits for a while.
Although it defaults to third-person perspective, you can go first-person if you want.
Cities are kinda lackluster, sadly.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1041 on: June 19, 2012, 03:04:05 pm »

Personally I wish someone would remake SimEarth, for a more complex simulation with the processing power of modern computers. Also an interface which isn't terrible, though I suppose it wouldn't be so terrible if not for dosbox.
With a liiiiiiitle bit better graphics, it will become the ultimate annihilator of my free time.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1042 on: June 19, 2012, 03:38:40 pm »

A modern RTS in the tradition of Nether Earth rather than Dune 2.
I especially like how the limitations of the interface are a natural part of the gameplay.

A graphical RPG with fluid real-time combat but a simulation approach to mechanics rather than gamey abstractions, and a highly dynamic world.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: June 21, 2012, 04:26:44 am »

A(n ascii) roguelike with VERY STRONG mercantilism gameplay. I've been yearning to gain some (digital) coin lately.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1044 on: June 21, 2012, 07:54:06 am »

A(n ascii) roguelike with VERY STRONG mercantilism gameplay. I've been yearning to gain some (digital) coin lately.

Try Tales of Middle Earth.  There's a merchant class; the only one that can throw coins with deadly force.

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: June 21, 2012, 01:15:35 pm »

Try Tales of Middle Earth.  There's a merchant class; the only one that can throw coins with deadly force.
That sounds fantastic. Downloading.
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: June 22, 2012, 07:37:31 am »

That sounds fantastic. Downloading.

Mind, it's still the same adventure: killing stuff, finding loot, etc.  But it's a bit of a twist to play as a merchant.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1047 on: June 23, 2012, 02:00:03 am »

I would love a game of Aurora-level complexity, with graphics (possibly of DF level), where you start as a hundred-man band of stone-age hunter-gatherers on a randomly generated world, and you build a civilization.

So basically, Civilization meets Aurora/Dwarf Fortress. I would play the SHIT out of that.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Nomus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: June 23, 2012, 02:46:41 am »

I just want a procedural Super Hero rpg.  I'd settle for a good Super Hero roguelike.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1049 on: June 23, 2012, 03:42:48 am »

Systemizing Super Heros is very hard.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 577