Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926805 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #1155 on: July 10, 2012, 04:26:51 pm »

Well, in how large regions is the dirt simulated? How would you check liquid simulations like that on such a large scale? It would just seem like it's not feasible to manage something like that.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: July 10, 2012, 04:51:30 pm »

I would only simulate terrain upon a bullet strike/etc.; otherwise leave it as 1m3 Minecraft-style colllision cubes with a list of materials and amounts.
A generic "dirt" block might be 50% quartz sand, 45% mulch, and 5% (negligible) empty space, thus take up a whole cube.

You shoot the wall, the cube hit calculates impact, the "amount" of mulch/sand in it has a few grams removed for the particles emitted (optional); the calculations show lodging within the cube but total destruction of the bullet; a few grams of lead are added to the block's makeup.
Subsequently refining the block of dirt would reveal traces of lead amongst the glass, ash, etc. produced; but for physical purposes the bullet lodged in it is too small to preserve.

Shooting the ground with a rocket launcher would create a shockwave. Where this intersects cubes, it would calculate the displacement of material. The dirt "flows" out of the blocks into the air and becomes particles. When the particles hit other blocks they simulate in a similar manner as the bullets shown above, adding material to the blocks, or bouncing off and coming to rest to create their own blocks. Blocks less than 90% full are rendered/colided as partial-height rectangular prisms, meaning that the dust settling from the explosion would create thin layers on top of the existing terrain that could be built up with other additions of material. Slopes would be possible by deforming this primitive to "meet halfway" with the adjacent ones.

Texturing could be done by randomly colouring pixels for each of the component materials and blurring slightly, leaving dirt with a beige/dark brown scatter blurred into a pebbly brown.

But really, terrain could be left as an indestructable plane for computer stress reasons if there were other sources of materials.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: July 10, 2012, 07:25:29 pm »

Quoted something from the first page. So nevermind.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:27:10 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: July 10, 2012, 08:23:32 pm »

Rome: Total War with good voice acting. R:TW 2 is coming out in 2013, so hopefully that'll deliver.

I found that voice acting to be sort of the char- SNAKE OH GOD A SNAKE

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: July 10, 2012, 09:55:32 pm »

That mention of dirt in a gun barrel made me think I want a game where you need to clean your guns after a certain amount of use. Also, you'd need to repair them after a while. This would be done by taking the gun apart and replacing whatever part or parts are broken (they would take damage after some use, in a manner that makes sense). Parts would be pretty standardized; it shouldn't take too much effort to find something that works for you unless you're using a rare gun.

But, yeah, different parts could be used for different guns, and you could swap parts out for ones that work better for what you want to do with them. There would be a lot of interchangeability, but not full interchangeability, so you could use some part for a lot of different guns, but not every gun.

Also, you could repair vehicles in a similar fashion and/or swap out parts. Though you might also be able to repair certain parts of a car, rather than simply replacing it (maybe there should be some opportunity to certain gun parts in certain fashions). Like, you could weld together a broken drive shaft or a broken chassis.

You might be able to fabricate some parts wholesale, rather than just scavenging for them (this game would take place in some sort of post-apocalyptic wasteland, btw), though making things yourself would take more time and a effort than just finding them, and you'd need certain tools that would pretty much require a workshop environment to use, so it would be less useful for nomads.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: July 10, 2012, 10:08:24 pm »

I want Greed Island.

</thread>

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: July 11, 2012, 05:05:19 pm »

I want Greed Island.

</thread>

Agreed

And this is the "games you wish existed" thread, so computer stress can be thrown out the window.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: July 11, 2012, 05:12:54 pm »

I want Greed Island.

</thread>

Agreed

And this is the "games you wish existed" thread, so computer stress can be thrown out the window.

Greed Island doesn't need computers :P

OH WAIT, SPOILERS

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: July 11, 2012, 05:13:26 pm »

WELL.
In that case, I would love a game that simulated the universe, predicting its particular method of randomness and started from the initial conditions. Except you can mess around with it. Like interrupting a beheading during the French Revolution be dropping a large phallus into the middle of the proceedings. Or building NASA their damn moonbase yourself using computer majyyks. Then sending it to the moon because no doubt they'd still mess it up even with your generous help.
The possibilities are effectively endless.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: July 11, 2012, 09:48:45 pm »

WELL.
In that case, I would love a game that simulated the universe, predicting its particular method of randomness and started from the initial conditions. Except you can mess around with it. Like interrupting a beheading during the French Revolution be dropping a large phallus into the middle of the proceedings.

This application of ultra-sophisticated historical simulation has infinite fun potential...

mind = blown

Could... could I cause Hitler's voice to randomly go super high-pitched during his speeches like the broken dog translator from Up?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: July 12, 2012, 12:41:16 am »

Could... could I cause Hitler's voice to randomly go super high-pitched during his speeches like the broken dog translator from Up?
I assume so, you'd just have to create an area of (high?) pressure around his head, or shorten the strings in his voicebox or something.
I thought that it COULD have proper applications that are useful though. Like the USA government trying their best to justify Hiroshima and Nagasaki by running a simulation without interference until the bombs were dropping, at which point they'd delete them from existence and run the simulation from there. If it was justified, Japan would kill more that 120,000 in their defense of Japan, otherwise the overall death count would be lower. Or something like that anyway.

But fun application is much higher, I assume.
Like doing things that should be impossible like creating sheer ocen walls, and then slam them shut when somebody goes in to check it out properly. Or maybe give one human access to the debugging menu so they can mess around with it. Probably tell them to be at least considerate with it so they don't kill anyone, just to use it for things that are at best impossible and slightly startling, then resurrect them when they die...
WAIT A MINUTE.
We cannot play the program because the program is too busy being the universe as played by an endless recurring tower of Bay12ers playing god. Each iteration of the universe simulation has more and more interference. This is the only possibility.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: July 15, 2012, 06:49:15 pm »

I assume so, you'd just have to create an area of (high?) pressure around his head, or shorten the strings in his voicebox or something.
I thought that it COULD have proper applications that are useful though. Like the USA government trying their best to justify Hiroshima and Nagasaki by running a simulation without interference until the bombs were dropping, at which point they'd delete them from existence and run the simulation from there. If it was justified, Japan would kill more that 120,000 in their defense of Japan, otherwise the overall death count would be lower. Or something like that anyway.

But fun application is much higher, I assume.
Like doing things that should be impossible like creating sheer ocen walls, and then slam them shut when somebody goes in to check it out properly. Or maybe give one human access to the debugging menu so they can mess around with it. Probably tell them to be at least considerate with it so they don't kill anyone, just to use it for things that are at best impossible and slightly startling, then resurrect them when they die...
WAIT A MINUTE.
We cannot play the program because the program is too busy being the universe as played by an endless recurring tower of Bay12ers playing god. Each iteration of the universe simulation has more and more interference. This is the only possibility.

A long read, but relevant: http://qntm.org/responsibility

What I want right now is a tactics game with randomly generated campaigns (as long as we're dreaming big). They would include a plot, somehow. Hopefully an engaging one. Random maps have been done, but not an endless stream of campaigns.

(Okay, I'll come clean: I just want an endless stream of games like Disgaea and Soul Nomad. Multiple playthroughs of the same content only hold my interest for so long!)

Alternatively, an MMO that actually holds my interest for more than a week or two. :P

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1167 on: July 16, 2012, 07:56:24 pm »

Space Rush: a Tycoon game.

The game starts in 2020, as scientists announce a breakthrough in theoretical fusion power. While there are no practical designs for fusion reactors, the promise for practically free energy is immense.

There is, of course, a problem. These reactors demand He-3, which is not present in abundance on earth. On the other hand, it is quite common in space, on the moon and in the asteroid belt. You are the recently-appointed CEO of a spaceflight company. It's up to you to take advantage of this extra-terrestrial gold rush.

Build earth-based facilities, orbital telescopes, deep-space mining platforms, and planetside colonies! Design and launch spacecraft built on hard-science principles! Bombard Earth with asteroids if they cause trouble for your commercial empire! Research fusion, plasma shielding, carbon strand manufacturing, nanotechnology, and other near-future science to get breakthroughs from powerplants to space elevators!

The game would progress over in-game decades. Frankly a primary screen not too different from Aurora's System view screen is all that's needed, with better UI for controlling bases, ships, research, and so on.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: July 16, 2012, 08:03:38 pm »

Space Rush: a Tycoon game.

While not quite what you describe, there was a game from Sierra from back in the day, called Space Bucks.

Ironically, at the time I was unable to play it well enough to succeed.  On a modern computer, a little help from a friend, a virtual machine, and four hours...I caused a buffer overflow, as one of the AIs hit the 32 bit long int cap in cash-on-hand.

I effectively still lost, as I was in fourth place, but at least I hadn't gone bankrupt :p

Nega

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lizard Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: July 17, 2012, 01:03:19 pm »

An elder scrolls game where, other than Elder Scrolls Online, allows you to go ANYWHERE in Tamriel. You want to go to Elsweyr? Go right ahead! You want to run all the way from Morrowind to Valenwood? Go right ahead! You want to be someone that just wants to see what the other realms look like other than the one you are mainly stuck in? Go right ahead!

I thought about this one when I was trying to look for this mod in Oblivion that allows you to go to Elsweyr. For some reason, it was torn down. :(
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 577