Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926741 times)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #1380 on: November 08, 2012, 08:37:22 pm »

snip

I've heard of Spec Ops: The Line being a criticism of the "modern warfare" trend in games, and I have to admit that's got me interested enough already. I do believe in videogames as a form of art, and art examining itself is one of the coolest things I can think of.

I also classify old-school shooters as containing a lot of the things you mentioned. It's a bit unsettling how you can look at two games supposedly of the same genre and notice how different they are. Even the leap between Halo 1 and 2 is pretty jarring. The original Halo had much brighter colors, bigger explosions, larger levels, louder weapons, and much less emphasis on your Marine allies. So while Halo 1 contains many of the elements that became mainstays of the "modern" first-person shooter, I'd still consider it "old-school".

And it's not like modern shooters are a bad thing. I loved the hell out of Human Revolution, Homefront and the Rainbow Six series. I just feel like old-school shooters were more fun- in a sense, they were more game-like.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: November 08, 2012, 09:24:51 pm »

To this day I still play Doom 2. Something about running at lightspeed and being able to /dodge/ most projectiles without necessarily using cover is good fun. Also the monster infighting, and individual enemy types (compare Archvile, Mancubus, Chaingunner, Hell Knight, Arachnotron and Cacodemon for instance.)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: November 08, 2012, 09:35:35 pm »

To this day I still play Doom 2. Something about running at lightspeed and being able to /dodge/ most projectiles without necessarily using cover is good fun. Also the monster infighting, and individual enemy types (compare Archvile, Mancubus, Chaingunner, Hell Knight, Arachnotron and Cacodemon for instance.)

I always get stuck hunting for keycards after all the monsters are dead.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: November 08, 2012, 09:39:23 pm »

Maybe we could coop some time? :D I know the layouts for the stock levels quite well by now, and most of the secrets. :)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: November 08, 2012, 09:49:44 pm »

snip
-snip-
I know what you mean.  Nowadays it is all about being the cutting edge of realism, while still being completely unrealistic.  In the good ol' days, we had to collect key-cards, health and armor backs, ammo came in the form of a floating weapon, and bodies always disappeared shortly after you killed them.  The environments were as open as you can get, you had hideusly overpowered weapons that you'd never use, but always held onto just in-case you COULD use it, and there was always some kind of secret area to uncover or exploit. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: November 08, 2012, 10:04:22 pm »

A game that is pretty much Hasbro's Frogger (the 3d ones), amped up to 11.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: November 09, 2012, 02:36:34 am »

I am incredibly sick of the so-called-realism fad in fps games.  I can't wait for it to go away, assuming it ever will.  It deserves some space in the industry for sure, but there's no reason for 90% of the genre to be counter-terrorism themed or modeled after ____ war of the 20th century.

Personally, I find it incredibly unsatisfying.  Dying easily, especially in multiplayer, usually makes for anti-climactic gameplay, and reduces dynamics to the simply question of who shoots first.

Quake (the first one) is my ideal FPS.  There was so much nuance and freedom to the movement of your character, especially when it was standard to leave self-damage off.  A rocket duel could turn into a 30 second high-speed aerial acrobatics contest, with the winner usually based on timing and prediction.  Then Quake 2 introduced the rail gun and twitch shot became undisputed champion of all.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: November 09, 2012, 03:16:51 am »

A SimEarth remake, fully using the processing power of modern CPUs.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: November 09, 2012, 03:23:56 am »

One that I've wished existed for ages would be a space-based game that offered complete customisation of your craft.

Sure, there are lots today that advertise such a thing, but what they give you is a few basic hull layouts, upon which you pick and choose your equipment to fit into a fixed number of slots.

What I'd want to see is you're given nothing but a list of basic parts in different varities (e.g. engines, guns, hull wall sections) of which you can use as many as you want, scaled up as much as you want (within resource limitations), complete with even the inner layout of the ship being at your discretion. You would design your own control panels and displays, with the links between the equipment and the controls designed by you. The basic game would be little more than a physics engine, but it would support a scripting language so designers could set up very complex behemoths. Ship design would allow you to create potentially devestating new types, which can then be uploaded for others to download and use as they want. Since the control schemes would be designed as the ship is, it would allow for ships that handle in completely different ways. Because skilled pilots might be rare, it would open up multi-person ships, where one person flies, and other man the guns.

The controls and interaction would be based off a person walking around, with few basic functions, but as soon as you use a piece of equipment, some of the buttons gain additional purpose, which are used to interact with that equipment. The player would be (mostly) walking around the inside of a spaceship, jumping from one control panel to the next to operate relevant parts of the ship.

Because the game would essentially be a big physics engine managing loads of basic parts, it means that ship damage would be interesting. If someone blows a hole in the hull of your ship, you're going to have to either seal it up fast, or find breathing equipment to use. If you blow a hole in the enemy's hull, you can then lauch a boarding party, who can storm the corridors and take them out when vulnerable. When designing a ship, you'd have to choose where you want the crew members to be - your skilled pilots and the like you'd want out of harm's way, so deep within the ship, but that would mean they're relying on sensors to give them information, and if the enemy can disrupt the sensors, they're be blind and therefore useless. Redendancies would therefore be optimal, but they'd consume extra resources so you'd only want backups on your biggest ships.

To avoid someone covering every inch of their ships with weapons, they would each require a power supply to operate. Sure, you could still cover everything with guns, but you'd be able to fire them once and it would take an age before you could fire a second time. If your power supply was limited, then you'd have to choose which systems get priority and how much.

The scripting language would be simple to use - each individual ship component would have a few basic commands, and each input would have a script that activates these commands. For example, I might have a button that turns off thrusters A and B, sets thrusters C and D to full strength, and turns on light E on the adjacent display.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: November 09, 2012, 06:07:55 am »

So, New Horizon or Corneriods huh?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: November 09, 2012, 12:22:37 pm »

The game I want is like a global Jagged Alliance 2, blended with X-COM.
So you have your merc company, small at first, and nations, companies and maybe even wealthy individuals offer contracts. Take them, or do not take them, to not stretch yourself too thin. When you have to free some South American country to save from its evil queen you might not have the ressources and the manpower to also defend South African mines against the unruly, poor natives. After fulfilling a contract, or maybe after reaching certain half-way goals, you get money to spend on new mercs, new equipment, a better base (maybe it was not that bright to build it in the middle of the North Korea in the first place...). And your reputation rises, and with it the contract rates and the danger of the contracts.
Next to more longterm contracts you could also be hired for some special forces operations, maybe for countries that can't afford proper special forces, or maybe they do not want to risk some of their own in what is almost a suicide attack.
Throw in some Peacewalker mechanics like gotta-catch-em-all taking PoWs(instead of outright killing everyone) and managing a base... I'd also love to see stealth, since JA2 has that. 
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: November 09, 2012, 02:26:35 pm »

So, New Horizon or Corneriods huh?
Hot damn, I had no idea those existed. I'm definitely going to look into them once uni term is over.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: November 09, 2012, 02:34:16 pm »

Personally, I find it incredibly unsatisfying.  Dying easily, especially in multiplayer, usually makes for anti-climactic gameplay, and reduces dynamics to the simply question of who shoots first.

Quake (the first one) is my ideal FPS.  There was so much nuance and freedom to the movement of your character, especially when it was standard to leave self-damage off.  A rocket duel could turn into a 30 second high-speed aerial acrobatics contest, with the winner usually based on timing and prediction.  Then Quake 2 introduced the rail gun and twitch shot became undisputed champion of all.

Agree so much.  Fights are way more fun when you can actually engage your opponent.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: November 09, 2012, 02:44:51 pm »

Star Wars: Republic Commando II. One of the only times you did something really cool with the prequel era, and no sequel? For shame, LucasArts, for shame.

EDIT: And for that matter, where the hell is the other 70% of KOTORII, hmm?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 05:40:04 pm by itisnotlogical »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: November 09, 2012, 03:24:55 pm »

Yell at Disney. Hope they don't screw it up.
Nothing important here, move along.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 577