Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926711 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #1590 on: January 16, 2013, 11:41:27 am »

This ended up sounding really autistic, but I'd like a game where you start with a bunch of trees and every kind of mineral. You can identify every mineral. You can craft anything with these. There is no goal.
so like a good minecraft?

Minecraft + Metallurgy, probably.

Then there's my Theorycraft mod notes which have some of those principles.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: January 16, 2013, 12:00:18 pm »

But there are no tiers. It's like that one Doodle God flash game but it's just you and you're actually doing these things.

It could be in ASCII, but I'd like it (because it is ideal) to have no "item types" or even item names. Objects can have edges, and if they're angular enough they are recognized as "sharp" and suitable for cutting, but every object is mutable. So, banging a sword against a boulder would dent it a bit for every impact. A zinc nail and a copper penny stuck in a lemon would generate voltage because the lemon is acidic and the metals have different conductivities, not because it is OBJECT_TYPE_LEMON or whatever. Graphics would be a very big part for seeing what you've done, because this is a game where individual molecules are simulated (because it is ideal).

It's not like Minecraft at all in that its creation system involves making the exact motions and devices. You need to hit things against other things to sharpen them and you are involved in all steps, but there are no limits on crafting and you can make a crappy shelter by stacking logs on each other, or you can hand-cut iron nails and a saw and make a slightly better house (which you do yourself). In multiplayer, you could team up to make megaprojects and factories and towns, but your player does not need anything to survive and cannot die (unless you choose to, to prevent being trapped in a pit forever or something). So it's a game that wants to be like real life if we didn't need warmth, food or drink, so you can devote all your time to creating things.

So it's a world simulator (because it is ideal) that is detailed to the maximum possible level (because it is ideal) where you spend your entire time building and working and crafting, trying to make functional devices or giant machines or spectacular monuments. You could make a mold for different kinds of gears and axles, cast them in brass and build a working clockwork arcade device (because it is ideal). It would be the ultimate game for fooling around and trying things, where everything possible is possible (because it is ideal). That's the game I want, and will never get (because look at it, it's impossible).
My wooden badge was delicious.

Alkhemia

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Deep Sea Diver Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: January 16, 2013, 12:16:54 pm »

... And integrated PA system to play AC/DC songs, or something.  ...

It's Black Sabbath or nothing, maaaaaann.  ;)

World of Tanks but with 40k vehicles.

I'm not sure 40k would translate well to that game style.  Dueling tanks seem like a rare occurrence in the fresh-ground-meat-all-the-time type battle fronts characterized in the fluff.  It _could_ work for Aeronautica Imperialis, which hasn't seen videogame representation yet, and air combat above the deck is quite divorced from events on the ground.

I'd be more interested to see DoW-style Epic scale battles.  Final Liberation was soooooo long ago.
True but I just want to drive around in a Leman Russ,  Dreadnought or Defiler  :'(
"Hiken: Tsubame-Gaeshi" -Sasaki Kojirou (Grand Order}

"Please touch me. Without lying, wherever you want to touch. That is my wish." - Kiyohime (Grand Order)

"Tyranny, violation, genocide. Those are the things that I detest above all else." - Amakusa Shirou Tokisada (Grand Order)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: January 16, 2013, 12:18:56 pm »

... And integrated PA system to play AC/DC songs, or something.  ...

It's Black Sabbath or nothing, maaaaaann.  ;)

World of Tanks but with 40k vehicles.

I'm not sure 40k would translate well to that game style.  Dueling tanks seem like a rare occurrence in the fresh-ground-meat-all-the-time type battle fronts characterized in the fluff.  It _could_ work for Aeronautica Imperialis, which hasn't seen videogame representation yet, and air combat above the deck is quite divorced from events on the ground.

I'd be more interested to see DoW-style Epic scale battles.  Final Liberation was soooooo long ago.
True but I just want to drive around in a Leman Russ,  Dreadnought or Defiler  :'(
Or a Predator, or Basilisk, or Hammerhead, maybe even a Baneblade...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: January 16, 2013, 12:25:16 pm »

So a physics simulator set on a pre-human Earth? Fair enough.

As a contribution, I would like not a particular game, but a more widespread convention in games. That team-based competitive games would all remove KDRs. Really. It just makes people whore kills rather than help the team.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: January 16, 2013, 12:37:38 pm »

It's not like Minecraft at all in that its creation system involves making the exact motions and devices. You need to hit things against other things to sharpen them and you are involved in all steps, but there are no limits on crafting and you can make a crappy shelter by stacking logs on each other, or you can hand-cut iron nails and a saw and make a slightly better house (which you do yourself).

So.  You want a universe-in-a-box simulator.

Which I believe has come up in this thread like eight times.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: January 16, 2013, 12:55:45 pm »

It's not like Minecraft at all in that its creation system involves making the exact motions and devices. You need to hit things against other things to sharpen them and you are involved in all steps, but there are no limits on crafting and you can make a crappy shelter by stacking logs on each other, or you can hand-cut iron nails and a saw and make a slightly better house (which you do yourself).

So.  You want a universe-in-a-box simulator.

Which I believe has come up in this thread like eight times.
Oh, sorry for bringing it up then. I should have gone through all 109 pages of this thread just so I wouldn't come up with anything unoriginal and waste peoples' valuable reading time.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: January 16, 2013, 01:05:01 pm »

Oh, sorry for bringing it up then. I should have gone through all 109 pages of this thread just so I wouldn't come up with anything unoriginal and waste peoples' valuable reading time.

It's called an "I want everything" idea.  Everyone wants everything, ergo it is likely that it has already been asked for.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: January 16, 2013, 01:28:49 pm »

It's called an "I want everything" idea.  Everyone wants everything, ergo it is likely that it has already been asked for.

More to the point, practically speaking, is that such a detailed thing can't actually be coded, nor would it run on even the sexiest FLOP-cranking supercomputers that exist today.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1599 on: January 16, 2013, 01:40:41 pm »

Minecraft, with the following additional features:

-Mod API
-That sea life Notch said was imminent a couple years ago
-Actually, that's it, since the mod API handles the rest.

I mean like seriously, software really shouldn't take this long.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: January 16, 2013, 01:54:33 pm »

Minecraft, with the following additional features:

-Mod API
-That sea life Notch said was imminent a couple years ago
-Actually, that's it, since the mod API handles the rest.

I mean like seriously, software really shouldn't take this long.

Notch isn't even working on it any more.  Bitch at Jeb.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: January 16, 2013, 04:33:46 pm »

Notch isn't even working on it any more.  Bitch at Jeb.
That won't help.  Jeb's too busy gleefully crashing his compatriots into other planets... ;)

More back to the point, I was always going to make a "build everything from scratch" worldgame (since the late '80s, when I'd have been giving you pretty basic, yet expressive, graphics[1]...  )  .  Various primitives (spheres, sticks, barrels (i.e. cylinders), and planes, for starters) which could be gotten from various natural resources.  Sticks (tree branches) and planes (broad leaves or perhaps animal skins) to make a tent, for starters, although while you could easily harvest branches and leaves, by hand, you might need to pick up a flint rock to skin (if not dispatch) a skin-donating animal...   At some point you might decide to try making a stick (of some kind) and two slices of barrel make a pair of axle-connected wheels of the most Fred Flintstone type.  But the engine was going to allow all kinds of connections, even up to bicycle-type spoked wheels (with the right materials, that being important, but would have needed processing via prior 'inventions', of one kind or another, even if it's just twine spokes and bent wicker 'rim').

This was way before Minecraft, and I had a lot of this mapped out on paper.  Not with a "prescriptive tech tree", but in a manner that anything I could possibly think of could (not necessarily simply) have been made.  Of course, I'd have needed a team such as the guys behind Scribblenauts to have ensured the idea was sufficiently user-proof to be able to give (occasionally surprising) results for a significantly large amount of pretty randomised player interactions...

Which is only one reason why I never developed the game.  OTOH, I've transferred some of the concepts (playing landscape generation, for example) to some of my other intervening projects, a couple of which are actually still not yet entirely abandoned to time... ;)  And, yes, I'm talking about "I'm giving you everything" projects!

[1] And I'd still rather write to display memory directory rather than use DirectX/OpenGL interventions, you know...  i.e not reinventing the wheel, nor using the wheels you can get straight of a catalogue, just using the original design of the wheel that's works quite nicely, thankyou... ;)  Of course, with modern OSes getting all uppity about that kind of thing, it's not always the most efficient way of doing things, even if it should be!

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: January 16, 2013, 05:18:33 pm »

There are a lot of games I would like to see, either conceptually, or specifically.

Some specific games I would like to see:

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 3
Breath of Fire VI
Colony Wars IV
Geneforge VI
Icewind Dale III (but not if they use the awful 4th edition setting)
Lords of Magic II
Master of Magic II
Master of Orion IV
Medievil III
Neverwinter Nights III (but not if they use the awful 4th edition setting)
Jade Empire II
Jagged Alliance III (the recent one doesn't count)
Jedi Academy II
Jupiter: The Nexus Incident II
Knights of the Old Republic III (not some MMO cashgrab either, a proper sequel)
Shogo II
Star Wars Battlefront III
Star Wars Empire at War II
Wheel of Time II

Less Specifically:

A Babylon 5 game, either and rpg or a flight simulator in the vein of wing commander, colony wars, freespace, etc. Flying starfuries, or a Minbari Nial fighter would be awesome, and Babylon 5 was always a bit deeper than some other similar pieces of Sci-fi such as Mass Effect, so I think it could make a good rpg as well.

A Stargate rpg. You could play as one of the assorted non-SG-1 teams that were mentioned and soemtimes shown in the show. Preferably in the Goa'Uld period before the Wraiths, Replicators, and Ori took over, when the Goa'uld were still somewhat intimidating and dangerous.

A Star Trek RPG, preferably set in the period of time between Wrath of Khan and Next generations, when technobabble was a bit less prominant, there were no lazy holodeck episodes, people didn't bring their kids along on warships, Klingons were not yet 'angry space vikings' and starfleet had those spiffy red uniforms. There would be less alien species bloat, and the game coudl focus on the interactions between the Klingons, federation, and Romulans.

A game similar to the Total War games, for Warhammer or Warhammer 40k (I am aware there is a Warhammer Fantasy mod for Medievil II) This one might actually happen :)

A Warhammer Fantasy or Warhammer 40k rpg. The possibilities are endless!

An Elder Scrolls game that has a setting half as original or immersive as Morrowind.

An rpg where the player works for the big, bad Sauron stand in instead of opposing him. Isntead of the usual Dwarf/Elf/Human selection, you get some more exotic evil options such as orc/demon/beastman/ringwraith/vampire etc. Instead of running around the countryside tryign to rally the free peoples or recovering magic artifacts etc, you would be working to undermine the forces of good etc.

An RPG set in the world of the Lone Wolf choose your own adventure books. I loved those when I was a kid, so much that when I took to modding dwarf fortress, one of the races I modded in was based off of Darklord Gnaag.

Someone earlier mentioned a Harry Potter RPG, where the player played as a player-created student instead of Harry etc. I think this would be great, I love the concept of a Mage's College/school/guild etc. The Elder Scrolls series had these, but they were always rather shallow, and you could easily go from apprentice to archmage in the relative blink of an eye. An entire game focused on a vast mage tower, where the palyer learns spells, deals with intrigue, makes allies and enemies, before having to deal with an external (or internal) threat to them and the school would be pretty fun I think. Harry Potter's Hogwarts or the White Tower from the Wheel of Time books would be nice canidates for that, or a generic setting could be used.

There are a lot of ideas for games I would like to see. I have had a lot of time to think about them because there have been very few games in the past few years that have earned my interest. They all seem kinda samey/mass-market and phoned in of late.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: January 16, 2013, 05:59:24 pm »

I'd love an XCOM style Stargate game...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: January 16, 2013, 06:33:53 pm »

Looks an awful lot like terra firma craft.

There is some inspiration there, for sure.  But also some ideas from Better Than Wolves, Industrial Craft, Build Craft, and some others.

The pages were written stream-of-consciousness style, so there's little revision (or messy revision).  And because I don't have a way to mod Minecraft myself (I don't have Eclipse set up and I always get about 5 minutes into doing it and give up because I don't care quite that much) it's basically just notes that I wrote down to stop thinking about it at night and no intent to follow through.

Hence the name.  "Theorycraft."
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 577