Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926843 times)

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #1725 on: February 04, 2013, 11:22:11 pm »

any alternatives ?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: February 04, 2013, 11:25:00 pm »

I'd say that Toribash is an art game about how we take for granted how easily we can control the movements of our own bodies without even considering the huge amount of processes that take place for it to happen.

Oh, so it's like QWOP?

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: February 05, 2013, 12:36:12 am »

It's like if the guy from QWOP tried making a martial art.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: February 05, 2013, 01:57:19 am »

It's not like QWOP in terms of control but I remember a stick figure fighting game where you would grab onto your orange fighters arm/leg/torso/head/whatever and fling them against each other.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: February 05, 2013, 05:43:14 am »

It's not like QWOP in terms of control but I remember a stick figure fighting game where you would grab onto your orange fighters arm/leg/torso/head/whatever and fling them against each other.

Rag Doll Kung Fu.  I'm pretty sure it was the first non-Valve game to be released on Steam, back in 2005.  It was pretty fun.  Very different.  Very hard to get used to, and could be very difficult even after you got used to the controls.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: February 05, 2013, 07:02:40 am »

@SalmonGod: While not the one I was thinking of that seems very similar.

The one I'm thinking of might've been a flash game, you played as simple stick figures on a white background. Ooo... that reminds me of .... *heads to name-of-that-game thread*
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: February 05, 2013, 08:21:29 am »

How do you make a research tree interesting?

My answer to this is more relating to the space portion, as I'm not so sure on low tech settings, but personally I find it more interesting to be unlocking new weapons, buildings, armour, etc, or modifications to how existing weapons, buildings, armour, etc work.  I find it far less interesting to just be researching +5% attack strength or similar.

So e.g. if I've just researched Laser Cannon technology, I'd much rather future techs in that area be things like adding burst fire, range extension, shield piercing, and so forth, than just researching Laser Cannon II, Laser Cannon III, and maybe +5% to all laser damage.  Ideally there's some kind of tradeoff in using those modifications, whether that be that they're sidegrades with e.g. burst fire having reduced range or accuracy, or just give it an increased cost/weight/whatever, such that you do still have to make a decision about when and where to deploy them (and which ones to deploy).  If you can take a page out of Aurora's book and actually design and research specific weapons based on the tech you've researched that's even better (and expanding on that, e.g. choosing just how much of a burst your burst fire modification is adding - definitely need tradeoffs if you can do that though).
Interesting.  So you want Techs to give you things to do, something active, over something passive.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: February 05, 2013, 03:28:48 pm »

Interesting.  So you want Techs to give you things to do, something active, over something passive.
Pretty much.  I enjoy unlocking new stuff, incorporating them into my designs and tactics, and seeing how well they blow up the AI's stuff (or stop the AI's from blowing up my stuff). 

To be honest, that goes for various genres of games, not just space 4x's.  e.g. I dislike MMORPGs where after a certain point I'm just unlocking Magic Missile III or Shield Bash IV, or spending 5 levels of talent points for +5% fire damage.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: February 05, 2013, 04:20:58 pm »

A game with AI Wars' AI mechanics but with interesting and fun combat / base management.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: February 05, 2013, 04:25:27 pm »

A game with AI Wars' AI mechanics but with interesting and fun combat / base management.

AI War's combat is too...not "fast" but that when a ship counters another ship, it does so so hard that it's not even funny.  Like murders the fuk out of it and only takes 5% of its own health in damage.

aristabulus

• Bay Watcher
  • Fnordius Maximus
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: February 05, 2013, 05:03:47 pm »

... So e.g. if I've just researched Laser Cannon technology, I'd much rather future techs in that area be things like adding burst fire, range extension, shield piercing, and so forth, than just researching Laser Cannon II, Laser Cannon III, and maybe +5% to all laser damage.  Ideally there's some kind of tradeoff in using those modifications, whether that be that they're sidegrades with e.g. burst fire having reduced range or accuracy, or just give it an increased cost/weight/whatever, ... 

This is approximately what MOO2 gives with weapons.  At the first tier a weapon becomes available, you've got the basic version with a 90 degree front arc, and maybe a heavy version.  As progress is made the basic version gets smaller, and modifications become available.  Including but not limited to extended firing arc, rapid fire (+shots but -accuracy), ECCM for missile-types.

I would also like to see more nuanced research in 4x games, but the realities of game/software development get in the way.
If iron is to become steel, it must feel fire! --ancient Dwarven proverb

What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  --Thulsa Doom

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1736 on: February 05, 2013, 05:30:06 pm »

I was under the impression that a lot game upgrades did things like that.
It's hardly a rarity to see a branching upgrade system anyway.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: February 05, 2013, 05:31:12 pm »

This is approximately what MOO2 gives with weapons.
Yeah, which isn't a coincidence - I definitely had MOO2 in mind when I was typing that :)

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: February 05, 2013, 05:36:42 pm »

A game I want to exist?

A game that has Conker the squirrel in it but not another Bad Fur Day, a completely new game maybe that looks at what happens one day on his throne, drunk, sick and tired of his situation.

Conker the Squirrel: A royal pain in the ass.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: February 05, 2013, 05:41:55 pm »

A game I want to exist?

A game that has Conker the squirrel in it but not another Bad Fur Day, a completely new game maybe that looks at what happens one day on his throne, drunk, sick and tired of his situation.

Conker the Squirrel: A royal pain in the ass.

Careful, we may have another Banjo Kazooie : Nuts-o like the original (see what I did there?)
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 577