Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926800 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #1965 on: March 03, 2013, 03:16:25 pm »

Standard WWII shooter meets Valve storytelling meets to-the-dot historical accuracy meets unbiased representation of all countries involved, and it takes you through every major battle of World War II as either the Axis or the Allies. No made-up subplots about Nazi superscience, no "one man army" levels (like 80% of Medal of Honor: Frontline), just a retelling of the entire war from both sides using the real people who were involved.
That story sounds like it would work better for this:

A campaign with two parallel stories. In one, you're a prisoner in a concentration camp for unspecified reasons (whether you're jewish, gay, gypsie, communist, or have an inborn mental disorder is left open to interpretation). In the other, you're a Nisei conscientious objector in the prison camp on McNeil Island, WA. Both stories involve trying to escape. There would be some shooting, but also puzzle solving, stealth, managing resources for survival, and working out deals and alliances with other prisoners and guards. Also, multiple paths to eventual escape, each affecting the story.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: March 03, 2013, 04:54:38 pm »

That story sounds like it would work better for this:

A campaign with two parallel stories. In one, you're a prisoner in a concentration camp for unspecified reasons (whether you're jewish, gay, gypsie, communist, or have an inborn mental disorder is left open to interpretation). In the other, you're a Nisei conscientious objector in the prison camp on McNeil Island, WA. Both stories involve trying to escape. There would be some shooting, but also puzzle solving, stealth, managing resources for survival, and working out deals and alliances with other prisoners and guards. Also, multiple paths to eventual escape, each affecting the story.

I would recommend you play Ever 17 - Out of Infinity.

Not exactly the same setting, and be warned, it's a Japanese story game (lots and lots and lots of text to read--I think it took 7 hours before I was even presented with more than a single "continue" action).

From what I've been told, you play the game all the way through, then when you start a new game...you play as a different character...and those events fill in with the events of the first play and things make sense.  But I wouldn't know.  I'm only like 17 hours in.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: March 03, 2013, 06:27:00 pm »

That sounds pretty awesome

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: March 03, 2013, 07:30:45 pm »

That sounds pretty awesome

I'd call the game a "Japanese Dating Sim" but I haven't seen any indication of that, other than the only male character is yours.  I've had one meaningful decision so far.  Maaaybe two (that is, a screen with more than one option on it where picking A over B actually meant something).

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: March 05, 2013, 06:50:14 am »

A game about exploration (probably some level of sandboxy) where most things out-level you and you have to avoid them rather than trying to take them on, because they will curb stomp you. They shouldn't be so omnipresent that it becomes a stealth game, but you should always be wary in case suddenly jumps you. By necessity, it would have to be in realtime, and preferably 3D, so that you'd have to look around to be aware of your surroundings.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: March 05, 2013, 09:14:09 am »

A Fantasy / Heavy Sci-Fi MMORPG that isn't pay2win. Ideally, it would be like planetside2 but with several higher-tier strategic models-- each nation or faction controls say, a city and has to fight for resources and facilities. More resources and research = unlock better vehicles and equipment etc.

Standard progression would be say, infantry/engineer to assault/grenadier, pilot/Mechanic. Eventually there would be entire clans and divisions of say, armoured vehicles, artillery, aircraft, bombers, AAA etc... Also Cybernetic enhancement, you could eventually be a supersoldier capable of flight that could turn such a battle around in a moment.

Also it would have the damage mechanics of dwarf fort. Any bodyparts blown away are either lost forever or must be replaced with cybernetic augmentations. Enemies can pick up such parts and fashion them into jewellery, e.g a necklace of teeth.

Edit: Also a real-life holographic SHMUP like one of those lame racing games you see in arcades. I wanna climb into a cockpit, throw a coin in and blow shit away. Hell, give it the option to make your own bullet patterns and multiplayer. I can easily see a VR headset for a home version.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 09:16:16 am by Iosyn »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: March 05, 2013, 09:25:59 am »

A game about exploration (probably some level of sandboxy) where most things out-level you and you have to avoid them rather than trying to take them on, because they will curb stomp you. They shouldn't be so omnipresent that it becomes a stealth game, but you should always be wary in case suddenly jumps you. By necessity, it would have to be in realtime, and preferably 3D, so that you'd have to look around to be aware of your surroundings.

Dragon's Dogma is kinda like that.  At pretty much any point on the game there are certain enemies that totally outclass you, and even the generic enemies like wolves can pose a major challenge if you're ambushed (night time is really dark and the enemy AI is pretty damn impressive).  Not particularly sandboxy though.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: March 05, 2013, 03:53:12 pm »

So basically, DF adventure mode in 3D

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: March 05, 2013, 03:54:18 pm »

A good deep DKlike.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1974 on: March 05, 2013, 07:11:44 pm »

A first-person MMO entirely based around PvP set in a fantasy universe. The game would take place entirely in one massive city, with varying sections, slums, palace, market, etc. The game would have Dishonored-like combat, without the supernatural powers, with the weapon and armor variety of Mount & Blade, with Assassin's Creed level parkour.
I guess it could be called Marketside 2 or something, :P
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: March 05, 2013, 07:52:40 pm »

A game that encourages and assists players in aspects of game design. This would be great for a really "open" engine, like most variants of idTech where you can just pull the console up with a keyboard command. As you go through the game, you can see tutorials and explanations of how they created certain aspects of the game like set pieces or boss battles while you're playing, and then look "under the hood" via debug commands to see exactly what they're talking about. All the assets and code are stored as plain model files (.3ds or .blend, for example) and text, allowing quick and easy modification without any special tools.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: March 05, 2013, 09:41:26 pm »

And realtime. Also, I'd prefer a world that's hand-built rather than procedurally-generated, as I prefer to find things that were hidden by a person rather than generated by a computer. Also, you would have some means of telling that things are above your abilities to defeat. So I'm not sure how DF is a good comparison at all.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: March 06, 2013, 03:19:18 am »

A game where you play as a god, in a pantheon of gods that rule of the universe.  You won't be a incorporeal, ethereal type god, you'd be more like on of the Norse gods. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: March 06, 2013, 03:40:24 am »

And realtime. Also, I'd prefer a world that's hand-built rather than procedurally-generated, as I prefer to find things that were hidden by a person rather than generated by a computer. Also, you would have some means of telling that things are above your abilities to defeat. So I'm not sure how DF is a good comparison at all.
A peasant with no skills and a bronze sword is clearly outmatched by a solid metal giant or a trained goblin with armor, you don't go after said armored opponents until you've built up your own ability to block/dodge and/or acquired armor of your own, exploration is a main aspect limited only by your character's abilities, and there are hidden fun features imposed to always appear despite randomness. The random system also creates rare peculiarities unique to the generated world, such as the Elf King of Dwarves or a queen with 4,000+ kills.

However, there are no talking mudcrab merchants, or tombs named after dev-team family members, or cyphers hidden in seemingly random wall flavor runes. Unless someone goes around adding that stuff in fort mode, of course, but a DF world with so many forts is rare.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: March 06, 2013, 08:09:38 am »

A game where you play as a god, in a pantheon of gods that rule of the universe.  You won't be a incorporeal, ethereal type god, you'd be more like on of the Norse gods.

So plotting to kill your brother (or at least, lop off an arm) is par for the course?
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 577