Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926714 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #2145 on: April 25, 2013, 09:01:29 am »

Apocalyptamon sounds like some sort of BBEG from Digimon.

Sounds like a Mel Gibson movie.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: April 25, 2013, 10:59:47 am »

Pokepocalypse.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Mongol13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The mongols are and were cool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: April 25, 2013, 11:24:36 am »

I think I said it before but I forgot

An Adult Educational Game

Not a non-game that is called a game and not a teaching tool that is also a game.

Just a fun educational game for people who are not young children.
May look childish, but it's pretty much what you described.
http://blendogames.com/airforte/
If Nyquil isn't meant to be abused, then why does it come with a shot glass?

My old account on this forum is klingon13524.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: April 25, 2013, 07:26:26 pm »

Thinking back to my Anarchy Online days once again, I have the urge to see an RPG that's all about self-twinking.

It's like, there'd be no leveling of any kind, the sole means of "progressing" would be by wearing stat-boosting armor that brings your stats up so that you can cast a spell that would allow you to wear a ring which gives you the tradeskill stats to craft some better armor, which you need to use a different spell and a different ring to put on. This armor allows you to survive against tougher monsters which drop more gear and crafting ingredients.

So, basically, the core of the game would be killing monsters, equipping shit, crafting, and finagling. Mostly finagling. I'm not sure if it would be a fun game at all, but it would definitely be a thing to see.
Morrowind, kinda?
As far as I know, Morrowind had levels.

No, the idea of this game is that the designers assume that players are going to use every exploit possible to try to win the game, so they make acquiring those exploits a challenging yet rewarding experience, and they'd include some things that are immune to the exploits that are gain. Character progression would be a matter of puzzling out the game to be able to overcome challenges, rather than just grinding out levels or simply acquiring gear (you'd still acquire gear, but that's just step one to using it, and the usefulness of gear would be based on more than just it's combat stats).

Except once you start designing for exploitation, they're no longer exploits. The reward of exploitation is that you broke the game, you get a little thrill for being "smarter than the developer", for finding what they didn't plan for or see themselves or fix. The affect on gameplay is secondary. If it's expected that you're going to or need to exploit to advance, it just becomes a strange, non-intuitive almost-roguelike (the old roguelikes, the ones that punish you for learning but reward meta-knowledge) with no documentation. The mechanics you exploit are no longer exploited mechanics, just mechanics.

The corollary to this is that a developer could try to design a balanced game, but instead of fixing exploits, design around them. That's something I miss in the current generation of MMOs; Verant mostly didn't care how you killed things, as long as it wasn't "solo Kerafym" levels of exploitation they'd let you keep on keeping on. In theory, it lets you design really punishing encounters without having to math out whether it is even visibly possible and then you let the players find the tricks they need to beat it. Blizzard, on the other hand, goes out of their way to ensure that you only play the game their way. I can understand that need, because PvE encounters today are much more complex than the "bash thing until dead", but it still kind of sucks when their fine tuning of various class abilities opens up a new, unexpected way to play a class, and they say "Nope" and just hamhand the thing into oblivion.

/practicalthoughtsinawishthread

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: April 25, 2013, 07:54:47 pm »

I think you're confusing permission with lack of ability.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: April 25, 2013, 09:43:54 pm »

Dragon game.

Procedurally generated maps,

Play as a dragon.  Start young and get bigger as you age.  Terrorize villages and steal cattle for quick gain, or work to establish a mutual relationship for longer lasting stability at the added cost of helping the villagers with their problems.

Protect your cave and territory from roaming flocks of quick and precise griffons, slower but deadly poisonous wyverns, other dragons, or even the dreaded Terrasque. 

Defend your lair from roaming adventurers, or depending on your reputation roving knights.  Steal princesses from castles to do...whatever dragons do with stolen princesses.  Collect gold and metal to eat and keep your scales in good condition.  Find a mate, and go far afield by yourself to hunt enough food for your entire family, or stay in the cave protecting your young from things harmless to you, but of great danger to your young.  Expand your lair for your growing family, or recriut friendly dragons, and potentially other creatures into your own growing cave city.

...I can dream can't I?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: April 25, 2013, 09:46:30 pm »

Dragon game.

Play as a dragon.  Start young and get bigger as you age.  Terrorize villages and steal cattle for quick gain, or work to establish a mutual relationship for longer lasting stability at the added cost of helping the villagers with their problems.

Protect your cave and territory from roaming flocks of quick and precise griffons, slower but deadly poisonous wyverns, other dragons, or even the dreaded Terrasque. 

Defend your lair from roaming adventurers, or depending on your reputation roving knights.  Steal princesses from castles to do...whatever dragons do with stolen princesses.  Collect gold and metal to eat and keep your scales in good condition.  Find a mate, and go far afield by yourself to hunt enough food for your entire family, or stay in the cave protecting your young from things harmless to you, but of great danger to your young.  Expand your lair for your growing family, or recriut friendly dragons, and potentially other creatures into your own growing cave city.

...I can dream can't I?
I approve of this.
There is a very little of it in the game DrakeFire Chasm.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: April 25, 2013, 09:48:19 pm »

I will look into this.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: April 25, 2013, 09:49:18 pm »

Dragon game.

...I can dream can't I?
I'd play it.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: April 25, 2013, 10:26:02 pm »

Dragon game.

...I can dream can't I?
i think i saw a 2d pixel flash game with most of this. maybe armor games?

i found it link- http://armorgames.com/play/4046/
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 10:33:27 pm by choppy »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: April 26, 2013, 01:20:12 am »

Ah, I remember that game. Necromantic scourge is quite a fun thing to be.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: April 26, 2013, 09:13:19 am »

Sorta like this? Well, maybe not the growing up part...

http://www.hoardgame.com/

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: April 26, 2013, 10:07:38 am »

Another game with this kind of gameplay...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clue!

"The Clue!" was a wonderful Burglary Game which involved planning out the Thefts with a interesting system of Time Management. If you have 2 or more people in an attempt, when you enter the planning stage you would have to move each one separately. But when you move the first guy, no one else moves, so you make the plans to move him where and make him do things. For example have him pick a lock, open the door then move through...

THEN you would switch to the second guy, this causes the first guy to reset and as you start moving the second guy, what you had planned with the first starts to play as you move the second. This means that you need to move the second guy around or have him wait till the first finishes picking the lock and opens the doors then finally moves out of the way before you can move through. This piles up with more people...

This also means that if you make the plan for someone to take out a Guard for example, you can plan out the others movements and take into consideration that the guard will not be there when they are cause he has been taken out already...

Quite an interesting game...
The Squeal went 3D but that fully ruined it due to Camera issues. 2D Top Down playstyle is best of this game...

I had originally hoped that the game "Monaco" was going to be something like this, sadly it is not...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: April 26, 2013, 01:28:57 pm »

Another game with this kind of gameplay...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clue!

"The Clue!" was a wonderful Burglary Game which involved planning out the Thefts with a interesting system of Time Management. If you have 2 or more people in an attempt, when you enter the planning stage you would have to move each one separately. But when you move the first guy, no one else moves, so you make the plans to move him where and make him do things. For example have him pick a lock, open the door then move through...

THEN you would switch to the second guy, this causes the first guy to reset and as you start moving the second guy, what you had planned with the first starts to play as you move the second. This means that you need to move the second guy around or have him wait till the first finishes picking the lock and opens the doors then finally moves out of the way before you can move through. This piles up with more people...

This also means that if you make the plan for someone to take out a Guard for example, you can plan out the others movements and take into consideration that the guard will not be there when they are cause he has been taken out already...

Quite an interesting game...
The Squeal went 3D but that fully ruined it due to Camera issues. 2D Top Down playstyle is best of this game...

I had originally hoped that the game "Monaco" was going to be something like this, sadly it is not...

Sounds kind of like a CRPG, or X-com.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: April 26, 2013, 03:44:08 pm »

So apparently Pokemon fits with many more genres than what we had so far.

RPG - you play as the Pokemon instead of the trainer. Kinda like Mystery Dungeon, but more elaborate.
RTS - you build Pokemon...towns?, again, MD style and recruit/breed Pokemon, "research" items, plant berries and evolve.
TBS, HoMM-style - think Heroes of Might and Magic, but replace regular units with Pokemon. Dunno about catching them, but evolving would definitely be a thing. (Eevee-focused town would be a thing).
Tower Defense - ...you get the idea.

My point is, Pokemon franchise leaves a lot of potential to fit into other genres.
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 577