Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926817 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #2265 on: May 11, 2013, 03:32:00 pm »

Perhaps a game interface like Progress Quest's?  And a similar playing style. ;)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: May 11, 2013, 04:05:14 pm »

The game I want, is in similar vain to Victoria 2, with much the same mechanics. Set out in space.

I would call it Post Scarcity.

It wouldn't have a set victory conditions. You get X amount of time, and you try to improve the station of your nation as much as possible, trying to become a 'Great Power' or 'Post Scarcity' society.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: May 11, 2013, 04:05:29 pm »

A game where you're an interstellar empire, going out and conquering primitive species to incorporate into your army, like many other alien foes in videogames. Species would be procedurally generated, and you'd create different kind of troops with them, using the semi-random technology you have. There would also be some other fledgeling spacefaring ones that would be the biggest threat, and the bigger you get, the more chance they have to band together against you.

For instance, you find a big, burly race in their iron age and conquer them. You've got a big plasma cannon that was invented for vehicles, but you create a kind of troop of the big guys that carries one as their weapon. With just the base of the species and the tech you possess, you can create as many kind of units as you want. There'd be options like whether they carry a piece of equipment, or whether it's attached cyberneticly, where the weapon is held/grafted, materials and structure of armor, that kind of thing. Your designs would be practically limited by the nature of each species, though, and certain kinds of equipment that might interfere with each other. The cost and time to produce and/or train each kind of unit would be calculated based on your technological capabilities, level of dissent amongst the species, and the different kinds of equipment the unit has.

Your troops would be stored only as the number of each kind you have, but randomly (or semi-randomly) you might be informed about "discovering an exceptional individual" of a species who has far different stats, and given the option to make a specialized hero unit out of them.

So, kinda-sorta-ish like a cross between Mount and Blade, Spore (space stage), and X-COM.

EDIT: additionally, you'd have to maintain cohesion amongst your army. You've got intensive conditioning and training (and possibly some kind of psychics mechanic), but your underling sentient species can still develop fear, doubt, and dissent. Depending on the nature of different species, taking their members and turning them into some kind of heavily altered cybernetic monster would appall and enrage them, and you might try something brutal by not allowing any civilians to exist and just making the entire species into cloned, brainwashed troops, but then the other spacefaring races might see you as absolute evil monsters, and not hold anything back (or agree to diplomacy).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 04:12:15 pm by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: May 12, 2013, 06:56:56 am »

I'd like either a fight club-esque game of just pure bare-knuckle boxing/brawling, or a knife fighting game. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: May 12, 2013, 07:40:42 am »

I'd like either a fight club-esque game of just pure bare-knuckle boxing/brawling, or a knife fighting game.
They had one of those, it was called Fight Club.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: May 12, 2013, 12:52:46 pm »

They had one of those, it was called Fight Club.
Of course he hadn't heard of it though, nobody talks about it.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: May 12, 2013, 01:46:42 pm »

To further expand on my previous idea of an ant simulator, why not make it a full Insect Simulator?
It could be just a variation on the theme of Dwarf Fortress for all I care.

As in Dwarf Fortress, you'd start with generating a world (it would be smaller when compared to actual DF worlds, but since you'd be so small, everything around you would be essentially like in DF, so the world size would break even - let's put it that way, the biggest worlds in this game could be ~pocket-smaller worlds when scaled out in comparison to Dorf Fort).
Then the game would place various ant, bee, and termite colonies (which would function as the game's "civilizations") across the globe that would sprawl out and fight each other. Other non-social bugs like spiders, butterflies and roaches would also roam the worlds.

The game would then feature two game modes - Hive Mode, in which the players takes over the role of a queen of a brood (which would start with the player's nuptial flight from an already established colony.
Once the hive has been created, the player can control the individual ants while the others are AI-controlled - but there'd be some degree of metagame to allow the player to at least indirectly control the direction of hive's progress.

Aside from ants there could also be other choices, with bees and termites being the most obvious ones. (but it'd probably end up like playing as other civs in an already mentioned game...)

Then there'd also be a Predator Mode, in which the player controls, well, a predator insect (or a the very least, a non-social insect) in a very adventure mode fashion. Slaying entire colonies is out of the question, in all likelihood. This isn't Dwarf Fortress despite all those analogies I've made here.

The best part of the game?
It's all rendered in the glorious ASCII.

Ever since 3D graphics might be too much for current PCs (I might be exaggerating it, but try to imagine a fully-rendered three-dimensional sprawling ant colony).
That might be just me being too used to ASCII. (although things still tend to give me serious headaches, especially the Arena in DF)

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: May 12, 2013, 02:10:20 pm »

^AN ANT SIMULATOR?!

I NEED ONE OF THOSE. I HAVEN'T HAD ONE SINCE SIM ANT.

I am willing to bet I spent far over 777 hours on that game as a child.

Also, stupid spider. >_>

On a more serious note, using ASCII would help with the problem of making a totally 3d ant colony. They can become espcially large and structured-wasn't it Discovery channel where they poured gallons of wet concrete into an ant colony and let it dry, then took out this HUGE complex?

Here it is.

@HugoLuman I only read the last post. =p

Okay, okay, I'll go read it.

Well. I actually like reversing roles. Would be nice-though I may be biased towards getting a game like that since Dungeon Keeper never worked on my computer. But it appeals to some of my favorite yet-to-be-done scenarios.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 02:19:43 pm by Markus »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: May 12, 2013, 02:13:43 pm »

No one likes an alien conquerer sim? :(

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: May 12, 2013, 02:37:21 pm »

I liked it. And this thread has lots of other great concepts too.

What I'd like to see is remake or very much similiar game to that one panzer sim from the 90s, what was it's name again? Steel Beasts? There could be a procedural campaign in the vein of Silent hunter series, or Sturmovik, where player takes a "role" of a tank crew in campaign stretching from 39 to 45 or even further as a part of armored platoon.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: May 12, 2013, 04:05:19 pm »

PSA: If you're a new, aspiring game developer and you're looking for a game concept to create, under any circumstances DO NOT look here.

:P

J/K, please do.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: May 13, 2013, 02:56:54 am »

You know the awesome speeder scenes from pretty much every piece of Star Wars media ever? That, top speed, but somehow still controllable. Also, Mario Kart style power-ups and a ton of battle modes. 1v1 jousting sounds good.

EDIT: You know what? I change my mind, just a fleshed-out jousting game would be awesome. Starting off, you have a lance on your horse, but once somebody gets knocked off it's time for a bloody melee on the ground. And then the crowd votes to release the lions...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 03:02:57 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: May 13, 2013, 02:58:31 am »

F-Zero? Crazy high speeds, perfectly controllable. Until you get smashed into a wall, at least...
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: May 13, 2013, 03:12:20 am »

-snip-

I wonder why this hasn't been made yet. I'd call it "Uplift", and throw in a Big Black Monolith that you use, Von-Neumann-Probe style, to discover and reach out to new species across the galaxy as a little nod.

The metagame follows your progress as you work your way up from interstellar empire to the single superpower in the your Galaxy. Then you capture the heart of your Galaxy, and using it are able to cross the void between Galaxies, and wage war against other Galaxies, with their own superpowers. Perhaps your goal is to capture the heart of each galaxy, which is the energy source/key to the space-bending tech you need to go between galaxies or something.

Add some more 4x elements, and make war just an option and not a necessity for victory. And If you wanted to make it Spore Space Stage Done Right, you could then publish your Galaxy and put it out on the cloud, and it would track your success, so you can see how your forces do in a battle against other players Intergalactic Empires.

I really want this game to happen. Might run this by some folks I know and see how they feel, if it's cool with you.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: May 13, 2013, 12:25:37 pm »

I really want this game to happen. Might run this by some folks I know and see how they feel, if it's cool with you.

Sure. I'd want to see it too. Though I think the core thing is making the best units you can out of whatever creatures the RNG gives you.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 577