Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929438 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #2325 on: May 23, 2013, 10:02:53 pm »

I want a sort of randomly generated FPS, based around a sick mental mashup of Front Mission and Far Cry 3 that's been flying through my head the past few days. Imagine now that Far Cry 3 took place on a singular island, and rather than the three factions (Rakyat, Privateers, Pirates) you've got an entirely different grouping: Most (roughly 90%) of the island is controlled by the ODU (Oceanic Defense Union, your enemy), but only 50% of that is their territory. The other 40% in their control is mostly small villages with groups of soldiers (think of this as a difficulty curve- the first outposts aren't fully equipped, but the latter half of the island is crawling with nasties.

You've got the remaining 10%, equating to 2 or 3 outposts. One of these is heavily fortified, the others are much less defended. It's mentioned that they'll need to be upgraded soon, which hints at an outpost upgrade feature- your opponents will actively attack outposts even when you aren't there (data would be abstracted DF style- check outpost strengths then simulate battle in the simplest way), starting fairly nonaggressive and getting honey-badger level nearer the 50/50 mark.

You start as a basic recruit, so your skill with anything but basic rifles and pistols is abysmal, and even they'll jam. Gunfights aren't exactly something you'll want to do that much. The more you use a weapon, however, the better you get with it as well as that type of weapon: say, for instance, you're using a basic lever-action shotgun.

Primarily every kill you get nets you XP for that particular gun. With a few kills, you'll pick up the basics, reliably and quickly maneuvering the lever and keeping the gun steady.

Secondarily you'll get general shotgun XP, which helps for all shotguns. While less than what you get for the single gun, if you pick up a SPAS-12 after getting good with the Model 1887, you'll be OK at first, especially with things such as stability and aim. Reloading gets the least skill gain from secondary XP.

Tertiarily, you'll get XP for any weapon similar to the Model 1887- lever actions, weapons with similar grips, through a tag-based system. Most noticeable on fully-automatic arms, as they'd be the largest group, but still only a very tiny amount of XP.

Levels don't exist, but XP gained dosen't always go to the same place. Primary XP generally tries to apply itself evenly across the board- it still ignores the fact you're really good at reloading a gun you aren't entirely sure how to hold, so you'll be awesome at reloading by the time you can operate it properly- but doesn't apply XP to anything that's maxed out if possible.

Secondary XP tends to go for specific areas such as handling, while avoiding things that vary from gun to gun such as reloads. Secondary XP will attempt to "fill in" low areas more than higher areas, but still applies points to high areas and does not care if a value is already maxed out.

Tertiary XP goes for lowest stat, or operation (such as faster bolt-action-ing) if they're mostly equal. Tertiary XP never goes to a maxed stat.
---

With a complicated weapons-handling system, you feel as though you're actually learning how to use the guns rather than becoming Rambo the moment you get your first LMG (you'd feel like a loud, bullet-happy idiot for about one box, and then the barrel overheats- that is, if you're lucky enough to not jam) and stealth becomes a MAJOR aspect...

Especially when you near 40~45% control. That's when the other half of the island gets active and the Walker Tanks (Needs a better title, but it's hard as hell to give mecha a new name) start coming out.

You don't want to fight a Walker Tank.

You NEVER want to fight Walker Tanks.

Sure, they have weaknesses. If you've really trained up that sniper, try and take out it's cameras. Maybe you've become quite the demolitions expert? I hope you brought your own ammo chest full of rockets. Absolutely HAVE to kill the thing? You could try ramming it with a car...

So long as you don't try these on the wrong models. Yes, there should be roughly 16-22 different, unique models of Walker Tank, with a few variations on each- When not to use certain strategies?

Sniper vs The Jameson

The Jameson is primarily a recon drone, but it's armed well enough. It's head is a radar dish atop a round array of eight eyecameras, and it gets kinda pissed off if you try and shoot them out one by one. Generally, when a Jameson gets pissed off, it uses it's single Vulcan to tear down whatever shot it, but if it can't find you, it just locks onto a wide area where you could be and fires a MIRV-style missile that rains down TWELVE WARHEADS. Don't shoot the Jameson.

Demolitions vs The Albert

The Albert is the tank of all Walker Tanks. It's so thickly coated in metal that not only is it worshipped by certain music groups, but it needs four legs to hold itself up.

It makes up for that with a four-barreled grenade launcher. And by "grenade" we really mean "about the force of eight hand grenades in one blast".

Explosives don't really work against it, in case that didn't click in when I mentioned that heavy metal bands worship it for its metal.

Vehicular Manslaughter vs The Michaelis

The Michaelis is a fast-response Walker Tank with very stable footing. Chances are ramming into it, assuming you manage to dodge it's twin Vulcans, will do bugger all, and then it will crush you underfoot if you're lucky. It can just kick you. Generally, the crushing is a faster death.

---

So, a very tactical, survival-and-mecha blend in a Far Cry 3 engine.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: May 24, 2013, 02:40:38 am »

After reading Edgar Rice Burroughs' A Princess of Mars, I have concluded that I might never enjoy any videogame as much as I would enjoy an Elder Scrolls-style RPG set in an old-school pulp science fiction universe, where princesses mingle with spaceships and Martians fight to the death with swords.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: May 24, 2013, 03:45:16 am »

I should read that book. I throughly enjoyed the (badly marketed but excellent) film.

Edit: KOTOR? Star wars has princesses and spaceships, right?
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #2328 on: May 24, 2013, 04:11:28 am »

no ideas at the moment, so PTW as this thread is filled with some nice ideas :D

This thread is BLOATING with epic ideas.
If you feel like going through the 157 pages so far.

I have read every post in this thread :D Thinking about going through and cherry picking my favorites and drawing up some prototype games.

Well, just started on a game of my own that I wish existed. Gonna make it happen!
Large scale turn based strategy game where you control an army. This army is broken down into squads that you control by giving orders to the squad leaders who then give orders to their NPC subordinates. I haven't figured out the time period for it yet, but I want the world to be changeable by the player's actions. The player runs around doing whatever for a while and recruiting peasants into your forces (I guess sorta like M&B maybe in this part). Cities/Towns will broadcast messages that they are under attack by some NPC group and offer rewards for being helped. If the player takes too long to move the army over to the town the NPC group will stop sieging and start their attack, which the player can come in and interrupt but not be able to strategically place squads. If the player does go to defend before the siege ends they will be able to set up strategically until either ready for the attack to begin or until the siege ends naturally. I can go into more detail later about how the player manages their army outside of battles if asked.

Just started working on this as of about 12 hours ago, so the idea isn't as fleshed out as I'd like >.< I'm giving myself two weeks to get a mechanics prototype up and running so I can see if this is fun enough to keep pursuing. It sounds fun in my head though :D In a week if things are going especially well I'll make a thread to showcase what I have working and give more details about where I want the game to head once prototype is over.
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: May 24, 2013, 04:14:11 am »

Some kind of Bioware-style team RPG or stealth game set in Ancient Rome.  Mostly the former, though.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: May 24, 2013, 05:42:37 am »

Some kind of Bioware-style team RPG or stealth game set in Ancient Rome.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg-qSoEkVo0
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 05:49:06 am by Solifuge »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2331 on: May 24, 2013, 07:58:09 am »

Except its not set in ancient Rome...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2332 on: May 24, 2013, 08:20:31 am »

I want a sort of randomly generated FPS, based around a sick mental mashup of Front Mission and Far Cry 3 that's been flying through my head the past few days. Imagine now that Far Cry 3 took place on a singular island, and rather than the three factions (Rakyat, Privateers, Pirates) you've got an entirely different grouping: Most (roughly 90%) of the island is controlled by the ODU (Oceanic Defense Union, your enemy), but only 50% of that is their territory. The other 40% in their control is mostly small villages with groups of soldiers (think of this as a difficulty curve- the first outposts aren't fully equipped, but the latter half of the island is crawling with nasties.

You've got the remaining 10%, equating to 2 or 3 outposts. One of these is heavily fortified, the others are much less defended. It's mentioned that they'll need to be upgraded soon, which hints at an outpost upgrade feature- your opponents will actively attack outposts even when you aren't there (data would be abstracted DF style- check outpost strengths then simulate battle in the simplest way), starting fairly nonaggressive and getting honey-badger level nearer the 50/50 mark.

You start as a basic recruit, so your skill with anything but basic rifles and pistols is abysmal, and even they'll jam. Gunfights aren't exactly something you'll want to do that much. The more you use a weapon, however, the better you get with it as well as that type of weapon: say, for instance, you're using a basic lever-action shotgun.

Primarily every kill you get nets you XP for that particular gun. With a few kills, you'll pick up the basics, reliably and quickly maneuvering the lever and keeping the gun steady.

Secondarily you'll get general shotgun XP, which helps for all shotguns. While less than what you get for the single gun, if you pick up a SPAS-12 after getting good with the Model 1887, you'll be OK at first, especially with things such as stability and aim. Reloading gets the least skill gain from secondary XP.

Tertiarily, you'll get XP for any weapon similar to the Model 1887- lever actions, weapons with similar grips, through a tag-based system. Most noticeable on fully-automatic arms, as they'd be the largest group, but still only a very tiny amount of XP.

Levels don't exist, but XP gained dosen't always go to the same place. Primary XP generally tries to apply itself evenly across the board- it still ignores the fact you're really good at reloading a gun you aren't entirely sure how to hold, so you'll be awesome at reloading by the time you can operate it properly- but doesn't apply XP to anything that's maxed out if possible.

Secondary XP tends to go for specific areas such as handling, while avoiding things that vary from gun to gun such as reloads. Secondary XP will attempt to "fill in" low areas more than higher areas, but still applies points to high areas and does not care if a value is already maxed out.

Tertiary XP goes for lowest stat, or operation (such as faster bolt-action-ing) if they're mostly equal. Tertiary XP never goes to a maxed stat.
---

With a complicated weapons-handling system, you feel as though you're actually learning how to use the guns rather than becoming Rambo the moment you get your first LMG (you'd feel like a loud, bullet-happy idiot for about one box, and then the barrel overheats- that is, if you're lucky enough to not jam) and stealth becomes a MAJOR aspect...

Especially when you near 40~45% control. That's when the other half of the island gets active and the Walker Tanks (Needs a better title, but it's hard as hell to give mecha a new name) start coming out.

You don't want to fight a Walker Tank.

You NEVER want to fight Walker Tanks.

Sure, they have weaknesses. If you've really trained up that sniper, try and take out it's cameras. Maybe you've become quite the demolitions expert? I hope you brought your own ammo chest full of rockets. Absolutely HAVE to kill the thing? You could try ramming it with a car...

So long as you don't try these on the wrong models. Yes, there should be roughly 16-22 different, unique models of Walker Tank, with a few variations on each- When not to use certain strategies?

Sniper vs The Jameson

The Jameson is primarily a recon drone, but it's armed well enough. It's head is a radar dish atop a round array of eight eyecameras, and it gets kinda pissed off if you try and shoot them out one by one. Generally, when a Jameson gets pissed off, it uses it's single Vulcan to tear down whatever shot it, but if it can't find you, it just locks onto a wide area where you could be and fires a MIRV-style missile that rains down TWELVE WARHEADS. Don't shoot the Jameson.

Demolitions vs The Albert

The Albert is the tank of all Walker Tanks. It's so thickly coated in metal that not only is it worshipped by certain music groups, but it needs four legs to hold itself up.

It makes up for that with a four-barreled grenade launcher. And by "grenade" we really mean "about the force of eight hand grenades in one blast".

Explosives don't really work against it, in case that didn't click in when I mentioned that heavy metal bands worship it for its metal.

Vehicular Manslaughter vs The Michaelis

The Michaelis is a fast-response Walker Tank with very stable footing. Chances are ramming into it, assuming you manage to dodge it's twin Vulcans, will do bugger all, and then it will crush you underfoot if you're lucky. It can just kick you. Generally, the crushing is a faster death.

---

So, a very tactical, survival-and-mecha blend in a Far Cry 3 engine.
That sounds dope. I've always wanted to play Front Mission! D: Maybe I could forum game it sometime, but I don't think I could come up with better ideas for bots than you can.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: May 24, 2013, 09:09:52 am »

I would like a game with heroes like Majesty but with much deeper guild tech trees and multiple units. Also with some citybuilding. And guilds should be able to produce special goods above and beyond what the economic guilds can make. Also I'd like extensive multiclassing options. So a wizards guild that multiclasses to pyromancy or geomancy or something and then an archers guild that multiclasses to like nature magic like vines on arrows or arrows adding rot damage and shit.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: May 24, 2013, 09:19:25 am »

I'd like a magic system that's based entirely around drug use. Hear me out.

Basically, it'd take place in a nasty part of town in your usual East Coast city that's not New York, honest. You are your average gangster at the bottom, trying to make a living through intimidation and killing, but you aren't the best at it since you aren't as durable or strong as the other protagonists: you can take one, maybe two hits from a pistol at best. However, you manage to gain access to a military-developed drug that was discontinued, and you learn how to make more of it. Basically, the drugs would be spells. You'd have a drug that makes you super-durable, one that makes you extremely fast, one makes you be able to shoot fireballs, etc. However, it's not exactly like plasmids. For one, you can't mix opposites. Sure, you can supplement your fireballs with super-speed, but you're going to have a backfire if you try to blend it with ice. Another is that there are two main problems with the drugs. One, they are really addictive and the withdrawal is awful and will screw up your gameplay. No superspeed drug? You can't move as fast. No mindreading drug? Your character gets huge headaches meaning the screen blurs and distorts. Worse, if you take too much of a drug, disasterous side effects ensue: your powers go haywire and cause chaos. Fires just naturally happen around you with the firestarter drug, you crush your guns and render them useless with superstrength, etc.

You'd have to balance your addictions and try not to overdo it or else disasterous consquences ensue.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: May 24, 2013, 11:25:53 am »

Planetside: Medieval Total Warfare.

Crossover of Planetside, Chivalry: medieval warfare, and total war for good measure.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: May 24, 2013, 03:23:55 pm »

I'd like a magic system that's based entirely around drug use. Hear me out.

Basically, it'd take place in a nasty part of town in your usual East Coast city that's not New York, honest. You are your average gangster at the bottom, trying to make a living through intimidation and killing, but you aren't the best at it since you aren't as durable or strong as the other protagonists: you can take one, maybe two hits from a pistol at best. However, you manage to gain access to a military-developed drug that was discontinued, and you learn how to make more of it. Basically, the drugs would be spells. You'd have a drug that makes you super-durable, one that makes you extremely fast, one makes you be able to shoot fireballs, etc. However, it's not exactly like plasmids. For one, you can't mix opposites. Sure, you can supplement your fireballs with super-speed, but you're going to have a backfire if you try to blend it with ice. Another is that there are two main problems with the drugs. One, they are really addictive and the withdrawal is awful and will screw up your gameplay. No superspeed drug? You can't move as fast. No mindreading drug? Your character gets huge headaches meaning the screen blurs and distorts. Worse, if you take too much of a drug, disasterous side effects ensue: your powers go haywire and cause chaos. Fires just naturally happen around you with the firestarter drug, you crush your guns and render them useless with superstrength, etc.

You'd have to balance your addictions and try not to overdo it or else disasterous consquences ensue.

Interesting, I'm playing a Play-by-Post role-playing game right now that has a magic system based around drug use (and addiction). It works for things like spellcasting or specific powers.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: May 24, 2013, 03:30:16 pm »

Well, I was going to get that off my Steam wishlist during the summer sales... >______________>
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2338 on: May 24, 2013, 03:54:40 pm »

*snip*
Interesting, I'm playing a Play-by-Post role-playing game right now that has a magic system based around drug use (and addiction). It works for things like spellcasting or specific powers.
Cool! I was thinking of making a forum game with that as the magic system as well. Any good ideas that RP had for it?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: May 24, 2013, 05:27:25 pm »

Except its not set in ancient Rome...

How do you figure? DA:O is all about a decadent empire fat on former glory, teetering on the edge of collapse and/or military coup due to incompetent leadership.
Pages: 1 ... 154 155 [156] 157 158 ... 577