Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926824 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #2655 on: July 14, 2013, 02:09:47 pm »

I do feel like there is just too many space/sci-fi themed games at this moment. Like, there's at least 2 in development with "star" as a part of the name. It's like somebody with a name said that "space sells durr" and suddenly everybody is making space games. This of course refers to the "indie" games, since mainstream remains mainstream-ish.

Starbound, Stardrive, Starmade, Starforge.
The first one is good actually good, but still, yeah, I agree.

Where did all the pirate games go for God's sake? Or WWI games (it's always WW2 for some goddamn reason).

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: July 14, 2013, 02:18:00 pm »

I do feel like there is just too many space/sci-fi themed games at this moment. Like, there's at least 2 in development with "star" as a part of the name. It's like somebody with a name said that "space sells durr" and suddenly everybody is making space games. This of course refers to the "indie" games, since mainstream remains mainstream-ish.

Starbound, Stardrive, Starmade, Starforge.
The first one is good actually good, but still, yeah, I agree.

Where did all the pirate games go for God's sake? Or WWI games (it's always WW2 for some goddamn reason).
I'd more like to see some kind of RTS or wargame for a time period of about 1850 to 1920. I feel like that period is really interesting, because there were a LOT of various inventions. Bolt-action rifles, trenches, powerful artillery, machine guns, aircraft, gas... even submachine guns.

Really, it's a potential gold mine for an RTS. The tech tree would be the most delicious thing ever.
._.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: July 14, 2013, 02:23:09 pm »

Because evil Nazis are basic villains. I don't really know any pirate game (well, I can't recall any right now). Now I want a game where I can be an evil/villain pirate.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: July 14, 2013, 02:25:35 pm »

Because evil Nazis are basic villains. I don't really know any pirate game (well, I can't recall any right now). Now I want a game where I can be an evil/villain pirate.

Ever played Sea Dogs? (or the sequel(s) the name(s) of I can't remember)

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: July 14, 2013, 02:35:09 pm »

Nope.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: July 14, 2013, 03:38:15 pm »

Sid Meier's Pirates is apparently quite good. I do agree there needs to more variation: my brother was actually turned off a lot of roguelikes (He wants to get into them) because the majority of them are medieval fantasy. Personally, I'd like a modern or urban fantasy roguelike because I think city generation is not really focused upon in many roguelikes, and it's a genre I see potential in.

Speaking of modernity, you know what'd be good? A CKII style game, with a family and everything, but you actually play as a family in a large city instead of medieval Europe.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: July 14, 2013, 05:13:01 pm »

Good point on the first one, only urban roguelike I can think of is Cataclysm. Though Uplink has a lot of the features of a roguelike (really shows through on LAN hacking) and is set on the internet in the far off year of 2010. It's not tile-based movement though so it's probably disqualified.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: July 14, 2013, 05:52:15 pm »

There's also that GTA roguelike, so you might wanna check that out.

Edit: It appears that's ended and the guy's next project is a zombie roguelike. Dammit, I liked that roguelike because it let me simulate being a petty crim!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 05:55:16 pm by Fniff »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: July 14, 2013, 05:55:05 pm »

WWI games arent around, because their weapons aren't fun to play with. And lets not forget the fun and enjoyment of sitting in a trench for hours shooting blindly at the other guys in their trench.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: July 14, 2013, 05:55:59 pm »

WWI wasn't all trench warfare.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: July 14, 2013, 06:15:39 pm »

WWI games arent around, because their weapons aren't fun to play with. And lets not forget the fun and enjoyment of sitting in a trench for hours shooting blindly at the other guys in their trench.

A WW1 game set in the trenches coudn't be a conventional shooter.  Soldiers back then just didn't have enough control over their own fate; even an unrealistic FPS would have a hard time overcoming the fact that any attempt to rush the other trench would be met with a hail of machinegun fire.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: July 14, 2013, 06:29:17 pm »

Though, the original proposition was for a roguelike WWI game, not a shooter. I imagine roguelikes would be a good genre for the whole "Industrialized war, you are going to die most likely" atmosphere WWI had.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: July 14, 2013, 07:39:15 pm »

A modular 2D fighter with expansive character creation.
Step 1
Choose a body type and modifications- Thinking of P4A characters, Elizabeth couldn't take too many hits and could only deal large damage with combos, but her SP gauge refilled over time. This would be a modification, but taking it would severely hurt other areas of your characters. Light characters are generally faster and have less frames to their attacks, but heavier characters have more room to work with points in stats.

For the example, I'd make a light character with low defense and high attack. I'd possibly throw in a modification where I get a charging move, having this meter full makes certain attacks more powerful and have more effects but depletes the gauge. This weakens my stats, but not too heavily.

Step 2
Choosing a style. Elements such as electricity, and what attacks can do effect-wise. Style is also affected by weapon. Ultimately, style is the most affected by special inputs chosen- nearly all characters have the same base abilities (throws are always the same button combination, for instance) but any inputs can be modified.

Let's say I choose Electricity, which gives me access to things such as stuns and disabling status effects. For inputs, I can have presets of specials- I can choose a wide number of attacks that don't eat the SP gauge at the cost of limited options for SP attacks, or I can have attacks that drain the SP gauge in fourths at the cost of fewer 50SP attacks AND fewer specials that don't eat the SP gauge.

For a weapon, I'll take the Gun. My specials are divided in 4-0SP/2-50SP/1-100SP, plus 1 special from the modification.
My specials are as follows:
88 S - Charge Special
896 (L/M/H) - Discharge (Electricity special, not a projectile. Affected by charge level- if charged, it will last longer and pull the enemy to the attack.)
874 (L/M/H) - Mortar (Anti-air, attack strength determines projectile arc. Affected by charge level- electric effect.)
44 or 66 S - Rush (Low-to-the-ground dash attack, can be chained- inputting other SP commands during Rush activates them when it finishes.)
896 S - Executor (During Rush, grabs enemy after if within range and does a special, extra-damage throw.)
874 S - Target Shooting (During Rush, grabs enemy after if within range and throws into the air. Opens combos well.)

50SP: 47896 (L/M/H) - Burst Railgun (Wide effect projectile storm, useless if enemy is in close proximity in the air (about a 45 degree spread). If charged, projectiles will prevent the enemy from using specials for a small amount of time. If done in the air, the projectiles are aimed downwards at a 45 degree angle.)
50SP: 896896 S - Overcharged Railgun (Wide laser that breaks guards and attack frames. High damage. Can be fired from in the air, and the player will drift down slowly and hit a wider area if fired in the air. Combos, so a single hit dosen't do too much damage, but the whole special does large amounts of damage. If charged, will prevent the enemy from blocking for a short amount of time.)

100SP: 88897 S - Raze the Earth (Instant-kill technique. Activating it causes you to temporarily be unable to use specials, while you charge up for the attack. If you are knocked down, you lose the charge and the SP. After a short time, you will glow blue, and attempting 88 S - Charge will start the attack.

You will launch upwards into the air, leaving a blue streak. Once in the air, you will fire a massive laser from your railgun, moving it in a small arc. Cut to the massive laser covering the entire screen and the enemy OHKO, followed by a special finish screen with a smoldering line left in the Earth's crust.

Step 3
Choosing what your character looks like and their possible palettes. You only get full customization of one palette, and others are preset colors. This has no bearing on your character's abilities, but rather, your character's abilities influence what can be chosen. Let's say I go with a blue and white color scheme with a large cloak covering most of my character and a robotic leg. I can then name my character, save it, and use it in Versus modes as well as upload it to the multiplayer server.

---

Multiplayer works like this:
Unranked Free allows you to choose from any character uploaded online.
Unranked Limited allows you to choose from characters with enough upvotes and times used to be thoroughly tested. Exploits and imbalances would have to be fixed through light patches.
Unranked Roster allows you to pick from player-made rosters of characters- either all made by one person, or gathered from downloaded characters- and fight with the set number of characters. You will then be allowed to rank that roster.

Ranked Limited is a ranked version of Unranked Limited.
Ranked Popular is a ranked mode where a number of the most popular characters are available.
Ranked Tournament allows you to choose from characters hand-picked to fill rosters based on all sorts of criteria. Contests to make characters based around concepts and settings to fill rosters could be a single tournament format, along side developer rosters and dev favorites, as well as player-made rosters that reach popularity.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 07:42:25 pm by Tsuchigumo550 »
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: July 15, 2013, 01:26:07 am »

The main problem with that game would be making sprites and animations for all characters for all moves.
._.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: July 15, 2013, 03:40:37 am »

An RPG-like game where you play as fire. You can extend yourself to surrounding tiles, at the expense of weakening the tiles you're extending from. Each tile has a set lifespan, so you have to expand towards flammable objects to keep the fire going, while not over-extending yourself. There's destructible terrain + gravity, not unlike Dwarf Fortress, and falling terrain can put out fires in a radius around the falling piece. I'm not really sure what the objective would be, but I think with some work this would be a pretty neat concept.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 577