Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 926773 times)

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #2970 on: August 31, 2013, 04:16:45 pm »

I'd like something along the lines of an action RPG that was kind of like sandbox mode of Fable: The Lost Chapters and the sandbox gameplay of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind in combination with something procedurally-generated and scaling to your difficulty, even if all I would do likely is explore caves and slaughter bandits with an axe.

There doesn't even have to be any story or quests involved. I just want a game that is like the bastard lovechild of Fable: The Lost Chapters and The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind where you go about wandering the countryside in search of bandits to slay and caves to explore. Hell the procedural generation can be optional as long as I can go around the countryside in search of bandits to slay and caves to explore.

in b4 a game like this has been made already
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 04:18:55 pm by MadMalkavian »
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: August 31, 2013, 05:41:46 pm »

World of Warcraft, if some servers allowed player races to become extinct via permadeath.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: August 31, 2013, 05:58:30 pm »

World of Warcraft, if some servers allowed player races to become extinct via permadeath.
It would need a finite number of players then.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2973 on: August 31, 2013, 07:39:13 pm »

Nah. People would just have to kill faster than people could respawn.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: August 31, 2013, 08:11:13 pm »

No, it would have to have finite source of the race, either wise they couldnt become extinct.

So you'd need something to be finite. Like the number of character creation with a race, or a spot in the server where you can destroy to limit the number of that race.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: August 31, 2013, 10:47:31 pm »

This wouldn't work as in order to make certain species go extinct in a game you'll have to exterminate both player characters and non-player characters, which would break certain quests and various functions. That and the necessity for at least non-player characters if not player characters to breed and have children would make it like World of Warcraft meets The Sims. That might work but it would be really messy and it would lead to a lot of newbies quitting the game outright.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: August 31, 2013, 10:59:09 pm »

A timer, once you die you can't re-use that race, and if it drops to a certain number it's locked for all players.

Alternatively, new races can be created, or once there's a dominant race, the server rolls back or w/e.

---

An MMO, or, hell, just an RPG, that's turn based but offers deep systems, like Skyrim. Imagine everything's rendered in 3D, and unit moving is as simple as Fire Emblem, and any attacks are played out in dynamic 3D scenes rendered in-game. Where a character is hit is tracked- someone who takes an arrow to the leg won't move as fast, someone who's arm gets sliced deeply won't be able to swing a heavy sword, and someone who takes a stab to the chest will bleed, and fast.

---

Weapon crafting is a large part of the game, rarely are you ever handed a weapon directly, rather, you must craft them.
Crafting is rather simple, however, say for a sword:
First, you provide or choose the design for the blade, hilt, and "features" of the blade, as well as the materials needed for them. Let's say I was building a fairly unique sword.

I'd take a design for the blade first. Let's say, Hammerhead, then choose a metal type that fits it, such as Steel. (Hammerhead is like FE:A's Armor Slayer, big, wide, and "hooked" like an anchor).

Then, I need a hilt. Choosing 2-Handed then the specific kind (we'll go with one that's longer than average, for easier control.)

Then, the base cost is tallied. From there, features can be added- these affect the blade in some way, and stack, but add costs especially when using more than one. Let's say I've got a lot of coin and can take three of them on the sword.

Taking something like Hollow Center allows me to reduce durability a bit to also greatly reduce the weight. From there, I'll add Poison Drip using the space freed up on the blade, allowing for a poison bottle to be affixed to the blade for a little extra weight. Lastly, I'll throw in a Serrated Edge for extra crit damage- all of which, singularly, dosen't cost too much, but as each extra feature increases cost exponentially, will be a very valuable sword.

Since it's built for two hands, and still quite heavy, I'll give it to one of my heavier units. He's already adorned with heavy layers of armor, and is now battle ready.

In combat, the heavy unit moves slowly but is able to take a great many hits, sometimes without even taking damage- the many layers of armor and large helmet make arrows nearly useless, and anything that gets close is cleaved in two with the sword. The Hammerhead is good versus armor, such as the armor on it's wielder, so even heavy spearmen have trouble getting in close. I don't have any range, however, and magic is still very much a problem. Any stray fireball or gust, and I'd likely be screwed.

Classes aren't really present, but characters are built differently. Size and strength, for instance, as well as inteligence and speed, go into a character- a large character won't always make a good thief, whereas a small character can't use large weapons effectively. Races can mitigate this somewhat (Dwarves can use 2H weapons, for instance).

Multiplayer is set up so that each player gets a set number of soldiers and gold. Each player may not deviate from soldier amount, unless a range is given, and each unit must pass a basic equipment test (a unit without armor or weapon cannot be used.) Let's say I'm playing a 5 vs 5 match. 15 different soldiers are randomly generated, then I must pick five and outfit them how I see fit.

Attack animations are affected by many things- skills, events before the attack, who's against what, etc.

If I have an Archer who moves up near a target before firing, it might show him sliding across the ground while drawing the bow then firing. However, if they used a skill for accuracy, it might show them running ahead, drawing while moving, then stopping to aim.

A sort of relationship system would also be included, for the story and possibly multiplayer. Fighting together builds relationships- say that I have the Hammerhead-wielding heavy fight alongside a much smaller but agile mage able to keep the threat of magic away for a while, and they both survive for long enough to build a good friendship.

Once a certain threshold is passed, both units can be "retired" (no longer available to fight, they give their things back as well as some kind of boon) and in a mission or two, or after a certain amount of time, their child or children can fight with you. In this case, I'd wind up with something between the two I put in- a midweight capable of using two-handed weapons as well as magic, sacrificing the superheavy armor as well as some agility. This could have resulted any way- I could have had a tank that could only use magic, or a lightweight somehow able to throw a giant sword around, depending on what was passed down and what wasn't.

---

This wouldn't work as in order to make certain species go extinct in a game you'll have to exterminate both player characters and non-player characters, which would break certain quests and various functions. That and the necessity for at least non-player characters if not player characters to breed and have children would make it like World of Warcraft meets The Sims. That might work but it would be really messy and it would lead to a lot of newbies quitting the game outright.

Not if the "breeding" aspect isn't played in any fashion and the quests are handed out by deities. Possibly have it so that if all warriors are wiped out, that race "loses favor" of their patron god, and is doomed to extinction.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2977 on: August 31, 2013, 10:59:51 pm »

No, it would have to have finite source of the race, either wise they couldnt become extinct.
That was my second thought. Maybe the counter would reset every day or something, and race extinctions gave other races bonus XP or somefin.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: September 01, 2013, 10:13:50 am »

So you'd need something to be finite. Like the number of character creation with a race, or a spot in the server where you can destroy to limit the number of that race.
So then people wouldn't be able to create new characters of that race. And then it would go through every race until no new charatcers can e created.
Like I said, finite number of players.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: September 02, 2013, 09:37:54 am »

Just thought up a kind of semi real time (real time but you can manipulate things while the game is paused) physics puzzle game that would be pretty cool.

You play as a minor diety that has decided to protect a group of heroes on their quest to save the world.  And these particular heroes after a while of success start doing some borderline suicidal heroic shenanigans and you must protect them. But the rules of the gods say you can't interfere in ways obvious to the mortals.

So you have to manipulate small things.  The team's dwarf decides to jump off of a wall into a horde of baddies with spears pointed upward.  And you must use some weak little airbursts to gently push the spears out of the way of the falling dwarf, and then strategically push dirt and dust into the baddies's eyes or manipulate swings to be more effective or less effective.

Or the group's archer decides to do something completely stupid like surf down a set of stairs on a shield.  So you must smooth out dents in the shield and make the stairs less bumpy all while deflecting incoming arrows.

You have a pool of regenerating power that is spent manipulating things that regens fairly quickly over time, and you can pause the game to manipulate multiple things at once, but yer power isn't regenerating while paused, so you are still limited.  All this to heroic music that skips a beat or becomes more and more distorted as you screw up, and if you screw up bad enough the heroes can meet all kinds of horrible ends.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2980 on: September 02, 2013, 04:35:03 pm »

Just thought up a kind of semi real time (real time but you can manipulate things while the game is paused) physics puzzle game that would be pretty cool.

You play as a minor diety that has decided to protect a group of heroes on their quest to save the world.  And these particular heroes after a while of success start doing some borderline suicidal heroic shenanigans and you must protect them. But the rules of the gods say you can't interfere in ways obvious to the mortals.

So you have to manipulate small things.  The team's dwarf decides to jump off of a wall into a horde of baddies with spears pointed upward.  And you must use some weak little airbursts to gently push the spears out of the way of the falling dwarf, and then strategically push dirt and dust into the baddies's eyes or manipulate swings to be more effective or less effective.

Or the group's archer decides to do something completely stupid like surf down a set of stairs on a shield.  So you must smooth out dents in the shield and make the stairs less bumpy all while deflecting incoming arrows.

You have a pool of regenerating power that is spent manipulating things that regens fairly quickly over time, and you can pause the game to manipulate multiple things at once, but yer power isn't regenerating while paused, so you are still limited.  All this to heroic music that skips a beat or becomes more and more distorted as you screw up, and if you screw up bad enough the heroes can meet all kinds of horrible ends.
That sounds terribly fun, especially if the heroes are actually player characters and it's not just a series of minigames. <3

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: September 02, 2013, 07:21:36 pm »

Sounds like another day in the life of a tabletop GM :P
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: September 02, 2013, 08:27:16 pm »

A game similar to CS:GO with objective game modes and a points-buy system, gun customization akin to Ghost Recon:Future Soldier, maps similar to BF3, and possibly more ability to interact with the surroundings through some objects being structurally rendered- a construction level might have scaffolding that crumples when near a blast, for instance.

Players spend money on a great wealth of things- their primary gun and attachments, secondary and attachments, various equipments and armors, and in some game modes, reviving teammates.

Let's say the game mode is Capitalism- not extremely objective, however, death is unique- you're down for the match unless a teammate springs the cash to "bail" you out, which is your only way to respawn. Even then, you start without the cash you did to start with- putting you at somewhat of a disadvantage, unless you can pick up an enemy weapon or kill a few people to recover your funds.

A good class for this, since you start with a fair amount of cash, is one that covers a good range.

Primary/Secondary is based on size and weight rather than classification- a gun such as the Contender, while basically a sniper rifle, is a Secondary. Using this, I could build a swift class with a primary shotgun and the Contender to cover all ranges. Gun customization is deep, so that even two people using the same weapon might have very different feels and strategies.

Some possible combinations are not terribly useful. It won't stop people from putting an ACOG scope on their shotgun, though.

----

Weapon camouflages are customizable- to a point.
Common camouflages are given to every player and may be changed in any way- they don't wear over time, either. Their patterns, however, are the least editable- few common camouflages can be edited in any way aside from color.

Rare camouflages are ones that are randomly given out at the end of matches or purchased. They "wear" over time, similar to CS:GO, and can often be edited by color as well as have different effects applied- a camo could be blurred, for instance.

Unique camouflages are ones that do not wear, are given out as part of events or purchases, and have varying degrees of customization.

The story is told episodically and packaged alongside large "DLC seasons". The story, however, is either free or much lower cost in stand-alone form. Maps are based off of missions from the story chapter, and new guns to the multiplayer are introduced in the story chapters as well.

There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: September 03, 2013, 03:55:01 pm »

Two things.

One, A game that is simillar to GTA, with some hitman thrown in. But, it would be far more complex, as in, murdering someone would be reacted to like real life. Murdering someone carelessly then running would cause a full blown investigation, where if you went back (Carefully, of course, as witness may have happened) You would see the body outline chalk thing, the yellow tape, cops bloody everywhere...

Or you could do it professionally.

OR

You could be a cop. Or a detective. Or something along those lines.

My second wish?

Starbound.

Grumble grumble.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: September 03, 2013, 07:03:30 pm »

A game starring a person I just came up with: Streaker Dave, the nude dude with the rudest 'tude on Planet Earth. It's like Mirror's Edge, but you're streaking the entire time.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 577