Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929339 times)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #3285 on: October 25, 2013, 08:31:01 pm »

There have been a couple FPS deathmatch games that combine RTS and FPS gameplay. One guy plays the commander and builds the base and advances tech and sets waypoints and orders while the rest of the team are independently minded individual units that help gather resources and follow orders. Nuclear Dawn was a recent example; there was another, older game called, I think, Savage. I'm sure there are others. This is close to the Matrix idea except agents don't have the commander and the commander is more like a deus ex hackina than a commander.

They were never very popular. Hard to say if that's just because of the basic premise or because the products weren't very polished or flashy; the studios were exactly well funded.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: October 25, 2013, 08:58:53 pm »

Armored Core V had a PERFECT commander mode, where you more commanded things like a UAV and gave players heads-up as to what was going on. Your only power was good sense and communication with your team.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: October 25, 2013, 09:22:15 pm »

There have been a couple FPS deathmatch games that combine RTS and FPS gameplay. One guy plays the commander and builds the base and advances tech and sets waypoints and orders while the rest of the team are independently minded individual units that help gather resources and follow orders. Nuclear Dawn was a recent example; there was another, older game called, I think, Savage. I'm sure there are others. This is close to the Matrix idea except agents don't have the commander and the commander is more like a deus ex hackina than a commander.

They were never very popular. Hard to say if that's just because of the basic premise or because the products weren't very polished or flashy; the studios were exactly well funded.
There was this old game called Battlezone 2 that did much the same thing. While the commander didn't have an RTS view except when using a satellite, I rather liked it. Don't know too much about it because I was pretty young when I got it, but I still play it every now and again. It didn't sell too great, because it wasn't super-polished, and at the time of its release a lot of FPS gamers didn't want the RTS bit, and vice-versa.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: October 25, 2013, 09:29:23 pm »

I'd say that type of game sells badly not because of any actual issue with the GAME, but because of the fact that you have to rely on other people to actually win/keep it fun.
Its like saying "everyone in this needs to have the unity and cohesiveness of a trained military unit, or shits gonna fuck up" and then adding.....THE INTERNET.
Seriously, if the whole experience can be ruined by one noob or oh you poor souls- griefer, then chances are its not gonna be fun. Not because the game sucks, but because people suck.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: October 25, 2013, 09:30:42 pm »

I remember that there was a PS3 exclusive that was entirely that commander-but-FPS concept. It was a MMO type deal with tiers of ranks of authority for the players to have and take control of.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: October 25, 2013, 09:33:39 pm »

I remember that there was a PS3 exclusive that was entirely that commander-but-FPS concept. It was a MMO type deal with tiers of ranks of authority for the players to have and take control of.
I think you're thinking of MAG.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: October 25, 2013, 09:39:24 pm »

I think you're thinking of MAG.
Indeed I was. But apparently the servers shut down next year so...
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: October 26, 2013, 02:05:17 am »

A Matrix game where one player is the hacker, a team of players is inside the Matrix and the other team is made up of Agents. The hacker sees an overhead view of what's going on and has to use (greatly simplified) terminal commands to assist their team by generating items, triggering electronic devices and altering the map's terrain. Meanwhile, the Agents have all of their strength/agility from the movies, and the people inside the Matrix are just regular shmoes who know kung-fu and have a ton of guns.
rm -f agents.exe

That would actually be a neat game.  Are there any other games that have that general principal?

There are two Source mods, except it works in reverse - the controller uses RTS style commands for enemy NPCs, and the other team is controlled and played as an FPS.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: October 26, 2013, 03:35:52 am »

A violent dark-fantasy game set in icy mountains. It switches between point-n-click adventure and tactical RPG, with items carrying over between systems (i.e, a magical sword can solve a puzzle, or a random potion can turn out to have combat effects). The art must take heavy inspiration from Blind Guardian album covers.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: October 26, 2013, 03:55:29 pm »

A game kinda like Titanfall but with tinier mecha, a micromecha game, or a very interesting medieval style of game, I'll explain all three:

1: Tiny-mecha Titanfall

I like the concept of soldiers vs mecha, truly I do. But those are some big mechs. The smaller a mecha is, the greater chance that you can feasibly have soldiers able to take one down without SotC style climb-the-beast-and-stab-it's-big-glowy-neck-organs. So, make them Front Mission, or Armored Core 5 sized. They're still pretty tall, but not fuck-all tall.

Actually, what I really want, is for an offshoot Battlefield game with mechs. With the same gameplay style and stuff. With the right tools, it would be just like a vehicle- and different models of mecha give different loadouts- and you could feasibly have a system of having friendly helos drop one or two any time an objective is reached, so that to get your fuck-everything mech, you need to be working for it. Or, you need to be in the right place at the right time when your enemy decides to work for it.

That way, they don't respawn all the bloody time and it dosen't become "line up for the mech". Certain models have different weak points- and they're all pretty weak to other vehicles firing at them. Some might be able to fool a guided missile or two, but getting knocked over is a death sentence (taking a heavy-hitting shell, as from most tanks, will stun you for 3-5 seconds, taking another shell from the same direction knocks you down no matter what) and a great sniper might be able to pick you off while your in the cockpit if you aren't moving.

Nonetheless, they are war machines, and they offer more than the average vehicle. Some modes allow for "personal mechs" which allow you to pick a model and specific things about it, such as perks (like in BF3) specific to it- quad legs can't be knocked over, but maybe you want explosive shielding so that mines and RPGs hitting your legs won't slow you down. Maybe you want a teammate to man a turret, or maybe you need vertical-launch flares in case someone brings a jet. Mechs that are not "personal" are randomized.

---

2. Micromecha game:

Micromecha in that they're smaller than you are. It's a "game within a game" game, where you and a bunch of other people fight with mecha on simulated battlefields about the size of a large table, up to a room in size. You build a mecha from the ground up, Chromehounds style, with the caveat that your mecha needs to be within some sort of design base- humanoid, quadruped, centipede, etc.

Mecha can be equipped in any number of ways, and purchasable parts differ greatly, as there are multiple companies that make parts. Some don't work well together, and using the same company throughout a design usually gives bonuses.

This is basically a mecha game without serious military overtones. Custom Robo Arena, but with more realistic mecha design and weapons.

3. Medieval Game
What if we take crazy mecha armor design ideas and apply them to knight armor?
I was considering doing the nanowrimo challenge, and I'm currently thinking up a nation who's warriors are lightly armored- mostly- except their legs are fairly well armored and there's a shield attached to their shin. They also have armguards for blocking with, and multiple weapons for exploiting the speed they have and ability to guard themselves in a crouched position.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: October 26, 2013, 04:19:19 pm »

2. Micromecha game:

Micromecha in that they're smaller than you are. It's a "game within a game" game, where you and a bunch of other people fight with mecha on simulated battlefields about the size of a large table, up to a room in size. You build a mecha from the ground up, Chromehounds style, with the caveat that your mecha needs to be within some sort of design base- humanoid, quadruped, centipede, etc.

Mecha can be equipped in any number of ways, and purchasable parts differ greatly, as there are multiple companies that make parts. Some don't work well together, and using the same company throughout a design usually gives bonuses.

This is basically a mecha game without serious military overtones. Custom Robo Arena, but with more realistic mecha design and weapons.

I would play the living crap out of that one.

I would also play the living crap out of Igynpadca.

Nienhaus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: October 27, 2013, 09:15:30 am »

I want a jousting game where the wood of you jousting lance matters along with the armour you choose and the speed of your horse.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: October 27, 2013, 01:20:02 pm »

I want an IRL bicycle jousting game :P
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: October 27, 2013, 04:13:29 pm »

I want an IRL bicycle jousting game :P
That exists. It's called bicycle jousting.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: October 27, 2013, 04:15:57 pm »

Right now I think I need a really distracting and easy game that is inexpensive.

----

Now for the list of videogame concepts I came up with... First with one I was planning to make!

1) An RPG where you play a patient who is in a therapy session and is asked to created a stereotypical RPG world where there is always a happy ending... Where you explore his mind, personality, and history indirectly through the events that take place as well as how his emotional states affect the narrative he creates as well.

... Now for something I can't make.

2) A Investigation game where you play a series of investigators over a course of years. You generate your investigator, chose their birth date, then do a series of missions until you die or retire. The goal of the game is to stop the end of the world but in order to do so a series of mysteries and allies must be obtained from your pool of investigators. The major push is that you can do missions and have a previous investigator show up as a major NPC.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 04:19:59 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 577