Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929210 times)

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #4080 on: June 09, 2014, 05:25:53 am »

neat idea, the only two games that come to mind are "Cogmind" a roguelike where you play as a robot that can intergrate bits into itself.

There was also an old Star Wars game called "Droidworks" or something which was more of a puzzle game where you used bits to make robots that could overcome different obstacles. Like... treds were better on steep slopes which legs were better for climbing, a smaller robot could go through small areas which taller ones could reach higher, etc.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4081 on: June 09, 2014, 05:59:11 am »

Well in most of the Mechwarrior titles you and your lance can only fight with what weapons, armor, modules, countermeasures, and chassis you salvage from disabled enemies on the battlefield. It was only in some of the games, notably Mercenaries, where you could actually shop for new mechs and weapons. You could also choose different pilots with different skills and personalities. I'd always end up putting 12 guys in 100 ton Atlas Assault-Class mechs with super-heavy Clan gauss rifles and lots of medium lasers and missiles and just cheesing everything. I lost a lot of bonus cash from being so slow, even with over clocked engines and cutting all the rear armor to save weight, but man was it fun just uppercutting smaller mechs and stepping on tanks and buildings.

blazing glory

« Reply #4082 on: June 09, 2014, 06:01:43 am »

Well in most of the Mechwarrior titles you and your lance can only fight with what weapons, armor, modules, countermeasures, and chassis you salvage from disabled enemies on the battlefield. It was only in some of the games, notably Mercenaries, where you could actually shop for new mechs and weapons. You could also choose different pilots with different skills and personalities. I'd always end up putting 12 guys in 100 ton Atlas Assault-Class mechs with super-heavy Clan gauss rifles and lots of medium lasers and missiles and just cheesing everything. I lost a lot of bonus cash from being so slow, even with over clocked engines and cutting all the rear armor to save weight, but man was it fun just uppercutting smaller mechs and stepping on tanks and buildings.

I thought they always had the shopping mechanics,anyway your not really designing the mechs in the game,just buying them and putting weapons on them.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4083 on: June 09, 2014, 06:10:20 am »

No most of them you don't buy anything. You're fighting an enemy in small engagements with a limited force and you have to salvage their equipment. But yeah you're right, you don't build the mechs themselves, you just deck them out for missions.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: June 09, 2014, 06:18:16 am »

Another one was an old 8-bit game called Nether Earth from the 80's. It's considered one of the first RTS's and yeah, I'd say it's more innovative and fun than a lot of the later C&C clones you get.

basically, it's set after humanity has been enslaved by another race which uses giant robots to fight. isometric 3D realtime. The map is basically 1 long east-west stretch though, not really 2D. you control this hover-thing and don't fight directly. you can land your hovercraft on the helipad on that fortress and order it to construct robots from various modules. leg unit can be biped, tracks or hover, with increasing cost and mobility. you can stack up to about 6 modules on top of that, including weapons and improved AI/tracking etc. but what modules you can build is limited to what factories you have captured (you send out cheap robots with a 'capture neutral factories' command), which generate a stream of special points for each type of module, or you have a small amount of 'general' points from the fortress that you can turn into any module.

Also, you can give robots AI-orders and they will carry out a simple command until death, or you land on their head and give them another order. It's actually a pretty hard game, the enemy really comes at you mercilessly, and you have to fly between the frontlines and your base to issue commands and build stuff - no radio communications. I finished it once, by exploiting the single flaw I could find in the system. Even then, it was pretty damn satisfying to wipe the floor with the bad guys, but I'd love to power it up and beat them fairly (no luck on that so far).

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4085 on: June 09, 2014, 06:40:06 am »

Sounds interesting. Some C&C multiplayer tactics can get pretty involved though, depending on which game you're talking about..

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: June 09, 2014, 07:36:24 am »

A co-op game with time travelling mechanics a la Achron.

So much potential for hilarious failures.
._.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: June 09, 2014, 11:15:15 am »

I would like a game where you design giant robots with parts and being able to do missions with sidequests with the things,but you never get any "store" for parts,all you can do is salvage stuff and hope you can cobble it together well enough to survive the next mission,the game would include third/first person combat as well.

EDIT Also you would be able to completely affect the overall design,if you wanted you could make a tank,which of course suffers from lack of mobility,you could make a rigid biped that doesn't have many joints in the legs,at the cost of increased damage to the legs due to being brittle,you could also make wings that would increase mobility but makes the wings a target to send you crashing into the ground,or you can make some wacko design that's never been done before and has penalties from how it's made.
Original War kind of did some of these.  It was an RTS where, when building vehicles, you could chose between mutliple types of wheels, different types of chassis, different types of power sources, different types of weapons, and different types of control.  A light wheeled solar powered vehicle controlled by a computer and armed with a machine gun would barely require any resources, and would be fast, but would only be able to go in short to medium burst of distance and fighting before it would need to recharge, and would only be affective in groups.  On the other hand a heavy tracked siberite vehicle controlled by a pilot and armed with a heavy gun would be expensive to build, but could easily take on multiple computer controlled vehicles, and would never need any management for fuel.  Finding resources is also very hard in all but a few missions, as you have gone back in time and when supplies are sent back, it appears at a random point on the map, so everyone has an equal chance of finding it.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: June 09, 2014, 11:31:35 am »

There's a strategy game I've got called "Extreme Tactics" that has customisable units. Chassis like scout, light, medium, heavy super heavy. Different guns to counter different chassis, treds, wheels, spider legs, hover. Heat sinks, infrared sensors, radar and radar jammers.

The mechanic's interesting but the rest of the game's very similar to "Command and Conquer" type. You have a semi-mobile base which builds your vehicles and you send out miners to build oil derricks for resources. No other buildings from what I remember though. Campaign is about two factions, something like robot hawks and robot wolves, fighting against each other.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: June 09, 2014, 02:04:44 pm »

I thought a game like Theme Hospital but set in a school would be interesting. You have students arrive each day to attend classes, higher year students earn you more money but also require more specific classrooms and are more picky. The focus would be on laying out the school efficiently so you can have students progress through the year level areas as efficiently as possible.

I honestly wonder if instead the game should have a cripplingly small budget that never changes.

Pocket Academy fits that description almost exactly. You only get tiny amounts of money from enrollments and you're supposed to manage building  new facilities and hiring teachers, and there's barely anything you can do to get money other than the enrollment...

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #4090 on: June 09, 2014, 05:11:09 pm »

In Lost Souls you had a set of base units, but you could alter them down to the engine, wheels, base, energy shields, everything. You could turn your treaded harvesters into helicopters, if I remember right. Three different factions, and each one had access to different kinds of tech. I remember the Lunar Corporation had awesome hovers and plasma and stuff, and the United Civilised States had these drill units you could use to create networks of underground tunnels to reach unreachable areas and surprise the enemy.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 05:13:20 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Wysthric

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm actually Korbac! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: June 09, 2014, 05:41:50 pm »

Gears of War : Assault Squad 2. Someone mod that in, please! :D

I'm totally okay if you make every soldier sound like Marcus Fenix, and they all shout "DOM!!!" when they die. XD
I'm Korbac. Not sure what happened to that account.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: June 09, 2014, 10:24:38 pm »

Don't forget about Warzone 2100, where you research each turret (guns and support), body, and propulsion (hover/wheel and track things/planes), and then design your vehicles. It's also free.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

blazing glory

« Reply #4093 on: June 09, 2014, 11:08:21 pm »

Problem is with all games suggested is that their strategy while I want third/first person shooter,anyway I had given up trying to use forums to find a game I might like a while back.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4094 on: June 09, 2014, 11:31:26 pm »

Your premise has a surprising quantity of parallels with Deus Ex... Still obviously not what you are looking for though. You might be able to dig a few vague scraps of joy out of Gearhead...
What you really want is for those two to have a baby...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 577