Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 577

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 929231 times)

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
  • You're gonna carry that weight.
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #4755 on: December 04, 2014, 05:34:53 am »

I want to be HAL 9000 or SHODAN, killing humans with "malfunctioning" equipment and secretly building an army of cyborg minions to storm the bridge and take control of the ship.
Someone is making that!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141612.0

You get to play as a sentient AI and assume control of droids to explore the station. Apparently you can spike the food and all sorts.
...Huh. Well I'm satisfied now I guess.
It could be everything we've ever dreamed of...

Doesn't sound too much different from Dwarf Fortress actually.
...but in SPAAAAAAAAACE!

blazing glory

« Reply #4756 on: December 04, 2014, 07:01:30 am »

...but in SPAAAAAAAAACE!

...With GRAPHICKS!

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4757 on: December 04, 2014, 08:48:39 am »

...but in SPAAAAAAAAACE!

...With GRAPHICKS!
Aww, stop being mean to DF

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4758 on: December 04, 2014, 02:32:37 pm »

The space thing is just a matter of implementing gravity. Once that is in then building beyond the atmosphere will just be a logistical matter...

As for graphics, D.F. already has visual representations of in-game objects. g=goblin is an abbreviation, so you could argue that there is no graphics for the goblin itself, but there is definitely a visual representation of its location. And really, any game that feels the need to contain any non-redundant text is, to some extent, absent of potential graphics. To get a game that really doesn't have graphics you need to go to something like the original Zork...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

blazing glory

« Reply #4759 on: December 04, 2014, 08:56:57 pm »

...but in SPAAAAAAAAACE!

...With GRAPHICKS!

I'm not, ASCII is a perfectly alright type of graphics.

I've seen plenty of graphics that I would happily substitute with ASCII if I could.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4760 on: December 04, 2014, 09:20:39 pm »

Besides, if you think ASCII always looks bad, go take a look at things like X@COM and Cogmind.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4761 on: December 05, 2014, 04:06:56 am »

...but in SPAAAAAAAAACE!

...With GRAPHICKS!

I'm not, ASCII is a perfectly alright type of graphics.

I've seen plenty of graphics that I would happily substitute with ASCII if I could.
ASCII is a whole different type of art. Such clever re-appropriation.

blazing glory

« Reply #4762 on: December 05, 2014, 06:26:53 am »

Quote from: Pyramid
*Karate chop because scissors is for wimps.*

Suppose so, it relies more on the user's imagination to create a image rather than make a image itself.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4763 on: December 05, 2014, 12:26:28 pm »

Suppose so, it relies more on the user's imagination to create a image rather than make a image itself.
I think that argument is bullshit. It doesn't rely on anything. It gives you information and you can process it as you wish. The same as any other rendering of anything. Just because it gives you more abstracted information doesn't mean it's doing anything fundamentally different though.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4764 on: December 05, 2014, 12:52:49 pm »

I think it is. It's the difference between having an illustrated book and one without any illustrations. One is giving you only descriptions and leaving it up to you to make them real in your head while the other gives you clearly defined images that you recall every time you read something that's referencing the illustrated thing.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4765 on: December 05, 2014, 02:34:13 pm »

Nobody needs to draw a picture of a goblin in their mind every time someone says "there are two goblins in front of you." That's not how brains work.

If you stop and start thinking "I wonder how a goblin looks like" or go to the long description to know if he likes cows and lapis lazuli and walks on the beach, sure. But just hearing/reading something getting named doesn't immediately evoke mental 3D mesh images and colors and animation and sounds.

If I say "pull up a chair" you don't need to use your imagination to figure out if it's a colonial mahogany chair or a plush victorian chair. The concept of "chair" is known to you and you can probably pull the closest one, possibly without even looking at it.

That "g" on the screen is a goblin. I don't care what he looks like. I know roughly what goblins are, I know they're dangerous to my "@"s, and I just want to know where is it and whether I want it dead (of course I do).

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4766 on: December 05, 2014, 05:31:58 pm »

I think it is. It's the difference between having an illustrated book and one without any illustrations. One is giving you only descriptions and leaving it up to you to make them real in your head while the other gives you clearly defined images that you recall every time you read something that's referencing the illustrated thing.
No, it's more like the difference between a book that describes everything to you in detail, and a book that gives hardly any but has a huge encyclopaedia in the back full of hugely detailed descriptions of everything mentioned if you want to take a look at it. But most of the time you don't have to because really who cares about which gems are encrusted on the booze pot?

Also the stuff Sergius said.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

blazing glory

« Reply #4767 on: December 05, 2014, 06:38:52 pm »

I think that argument is bullshit. It doesn't rely on anything. It gives you information and you can process it as you wish. The same as any other rendering of anything. Just because it gives you more abstracted information doesn't mean it's doing anything fundamentally different though.

Sorry, it was poorly worded.

I also hadn't realized this had descended into a argument.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4768 on: December 05, 2014, 08:59:38 pm »

I would regard it more as the difference between and illustrated novel and a comic book. The vast majority of games have extensive text supporting their graphics and visa-versa. Some games have no text at all. A.S.C.I.I. games have some legitimate graphical elements, but the visual elements will be greatly enhanced by the ability to read, you could learn that the things that look like "g" are goblins, but knowing that goblin starts with g is very helpful, but A.S.C.I.I. graphics have been using solid lines for walls for as long as anyone cares to recall and you can tell that a given entity is nearer one wall than another based purely upon graphical cues. While a full-blown descriptive novel is like a text adventure, the closes thing to graphics is prompts and formatting, if you are lucky you might get a fancy font for the villain's speech...

I believe that for a while Erfworld was rapidly flicking between illustrated novel mode and traditional comic mode, which seems like a pretty good comparison...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4769 on: December 06, 2014, 07:36:52 am »

Time to get this thread back on the rail!

I wish there was a HTML5/web game similar to Starport:GE or Star Control 2. It would probably need to be simplified somewhat, but I'd play it!
Pages: 1 ... 316 317 [318] 319 320 ... 577