Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 618472 times)

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #900 on: March 07, 2013, 04:44:08 pm »

How about crippling small wild animals using spear traps, and only proceeding with the ones whose disabilities render them even more harmless? And if you made a room with only one tile per z-level, using channels/ramps everywhere... By setting up stonefall traps like that, it'd be easier to kill animals that are too successful against the child, since a dwarf child won't dodge upwards and will thus be less prone to accidental crushing (assuming that the offending animal isn't on the same z-level).
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: March 07, 2013, 04:50:39 pm »

How about crippling small wild animals using spear traps, and only proceeding with the ones whose disabilities render them even more harmless? And if you made a room with only one tile per z-level, using channels/ramps everywhere... By setting up stonefall traps like that, it'd be easier to kill animals that are too successful against the child, since a dwarf child won't dodge upwards and will thus be less prone to accidental crushing (assuming that the offending animal isn't on the same z-level).

It would be exactly the same that with undead, wild animals don't stop until them or the child is dead, which is bad for the bussiness either way

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: March 07, 2013, 04:57:27 pm »

It would be exactly the same that with undead, wild animals don't stop until them or the child is dead, which is bad for the bussiness either way
Don't underestimate how dangerous zombies are. In Adventure Mode, a zombie hand is much harder to hit than a living, standing bandit, often ranging between red and purple even for experienced adventurers, and often hits harder and more frequently. A living badger or penguin with spine tissue damage doesn't begin to compare.
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: March 07, 2013, 05:02:31 pm »

Don't underestimate how dangerous zombies are. In Adventure Mode, a zombie hand is much harder to hit than a living, standing bandit, often ranging between red and purple even for experienced adventurers, and often hits harder and more frequently. A living badger or penguin with spine tissue damage doesn't begin to compare.

Oh! Sorry , you are new here. See, my latest experiment here involved a broken baby hand against a child, and the fight lasted less than 15 seconds, that's why is compared both. They are both deadly, thats what I meant to say.

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: March 07, 2013, 05:08:10 pm »

Oh! Sorry , you are new here. See, my latest experiment here involved a broken baby hand against a child, and the fight lasted less than 15 seconds, that's why is compared both. They are both deadly, thats what I meant to say.
I know, I meant that comparing a crippled small animal to a zombie hand is giving the animal much too much credit, as your test showed. Armed human soldiers are frequently defeated by single zombie hands in Adv. Mode, that's how dangerous they are. And I'm not suggesting healthy animals: Emphasis on crippled. Can't dodge, can't charge, slow to move, slow to attack. Not that I think it'll work, DF isn't convenient like that, but it can't be anywhere near as bad as zombie anythings.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: March 07, 2013, 05:18:13 pm »

I understand your point now. So, your test involves an already crippled animal that could attack a child, and could be killed by him? A child is quite fragile, and can't deliver good blows to kill anything. Animals and their zombie versions only differ in the way they die: be it from natural causes of death, or by mauling them until them collapse. They have the same killing potential in their attacks

Edit: grammar

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: March 07, 2013, 05:18:48 pm »

The animal still suffers the same mechanic as the zombie though - it has a to-kill imperative.  Domestic, enclosed animals are not trying to kill, which makes them more workable.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: March 08, 2013, 10:50:02 am »

Well, I'm going to continue working on my idea. I'm not a master of Dorf Fort by any means, though, so if someone could get a design to reliably drop pain on small animals, I'd be grateful.

Meanwhile, my current plan is:

AAAAAAAA
ASSSSSSA
ASWDWSA
ASD S DSA    *NECROMANCER CELL*
ASWDWSA
ASSSSSSA
AAAAAAAA

The 'A' being the chain bases, S being space/cage traps, D for door and W for wall (outer walls not included).
If you forbid the doors, then the child has no choice but to get attacked. If you keep it tightly shut, then even in the unlikely event of spontaneous unchained animals, there's still either nothing or one thing attacking him. After that... ROCKS. EVERYWHERE. Then captured zombies.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: March 08, 2013, 12:17:11 pm »

Well, I'm going to continue working on my idea. I'm not a master of Dorf Fort by any means, though, so if someone could get a design to reliably drop pain on small animals, I'd be grateful.

Meanwhile, my current plan is:

AAAAAAAA
ASSSSSSA
ASWDWSA
ASD S DSA    *NECROMANCER CELL*
ASWDWSA
ASSSSSSA
AAAAAAAA

The 'A' being the chain bases, S being space/cage traps, D for door and W for wall (outer walls not included).
If you forbid the doors, then the child has no choice but to get attacked. If you keep it tightly shut, then even in the unlikely event of spontaneous unchained animals, there's still either nothing or one thing attacking him. After that... ROCKS. EVERYWHERE. Then captured zombies.

Some questions about that:
Where is going to be the child?
Which animals do you plan to use? I guess that you will use turkeys and not crazy animals
Where is going to be the necro?

And finally just a note: the animals will also attack themselves, as they are chained too close, which will effectively lower the ammounts of attacks the child will get.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: March 08, 2013, 01:18:11 pm »

The child is in the centre of the cage when they need to rest. The rest of the time, they get locked out (after being lured out with booze, once the animals are gravitified).
Yeah, probably turkeys. Maybe chicken/turkey combo.
I haven't really looked up the necro's stuff, but the safe place to necro the zombies from is at the right, as pictured. I'm hoping he won't try to escape between zombies.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: March 08, 2013, 02:05:41 pm »

why not just have a refuse stockpile where you throw the dead animals in some airlocked area surrounded by cage traps, and have that be your reanimation chamber?

anyways, i don't think we're likely to find anything more promising than the poultsplosion method of training up dodge. at least, not unless we find some way to make children wear armour.

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: March 08, 2013, 05:05:57 pm »

why not just have a refuse stockpile where you throw the dead animals in some airlocked area surrounded by cage traps, and have that be your reanimation chamber?

anyways, i don't think we're likely to find anything more promising than the poultsplosion method of training up dodge. at least, not unless we find some way to make children wear armour.
+1

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: March 08, 2013, 06:25:14 pm »

The only reason I'm trying to make zombies is so that there is no chance of miasma. It'd be a shame if the child went insane.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: March 09, 2013, 10:32:47 am »

I think that just put the child in a 1x1 and then trow(pit) a cat there could do all the work with little to no micromanagement, we could also have a door the leads to the rest of the fortress and a door that opens to a 2x2 door wich we could open to stop the fight. If anyone have an idea of some extra stuff...I'll make an small map or diagram or whatever u call that blueprints(thinking again... blackprints) soon.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: March 09, 2013, 12:14:08 pm »

I think that just put the child in a 1x1 and then trow(pit) a cat there could do all the work with little to no micromanagement, we could also have a door the leads to the rest of the fortress and a door that opens to a 2x2 door wich we could open to stop the fight. If anyone have an idea of some extra stuff...I'll make an small map or diagram or whatever u call that blueprints(thinking again... blackprints) soon.

Use turkeys, cats are too dangerous. Also, would you mind taking note of the amount of times the animal attacked in a set period of time? (like, a year). I wold do that myself but currently I'm busy and without access to a good processor to run the game.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 76