Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 76

Author Topic: Dwarven... "Child Care"  (Read 618484 times)

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
Re: Dwarven... "Child Care"
« Reply #975 on: August 16, 2013, 08:14:18 am »

can someone please summarize what the current issues are with this science? Is it simply that even the most mediocre of creatures is too deadly for our dwarf children?

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: August 16, 2013, 08:20:02 am »

can someone please summarize what the current issues are with this science? Is it simply that even the most mediocre of creatures is too deadly for our dwarf children?
Yes, and it requires a lot of micromanagement.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: August 16, 2013, 09:27:32 am »

Let's establish a criteria for a successful dwarven childcare program.

1. Must be able to build skills or attributes at a rate that has a noticeable benefit before the child reaches adulthood. 
2. Must not typically kill children used. (we can hammer out an acceptable mortality rate later.)
3. Must be hypothetically implementable from age one to age twelve.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: August 16, 2013, 09:50:49 am »

1. Must be able to build skills or attributes at a rate that has a noticeable benefit before the child reaches adulthood. 
2. Must not typically kill children used. (we can hammer out an acceptable mortality rate later.)
If you hit them with minecarts "Just right" at age 1 then you can break a leg and have them become level 20 crutch walker before age 9. This raises a few stats.....but has a high casualty rate. This combined wiht swimming gives them a fairly nice stat bonus and meets your list.

We need to add 4:

4. Must train military skills
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 09:52:43 am by Ravendarksky »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: August 16, 2013, 09:54:30 am »

If you hit them with minecarts "Just right" at age 1 then you can break a leg and have them become level 20 crutch walker before age 9. This raises a few stats.....but has a high casualty rate. This combined wiht swimming gives them a fairly nice stat bonus and meets your list.

We need to add 4:

4. Must train military skills
Or just update one to
1. Must be able to build COMBAT RELATED skills or attributes at a rate that has a noticeable benefit before the child reaches adulthood.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: August 16, 2013, 02:56:20 pm »

Swimming is very useful unless you like soldiers dodging into water and dying. The attributes crutch walking/swimming raise are great for fighting.

neverdreamalone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: September 21, 2013, 04:21:48 am »

Errm ye, so I've managed to get some legendary children using a danger room:

I have 5 kids like this, legendary in particular skill because they follow their military mother around the danger room barracks all day.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 04:33:39 am by neverdreamalone »

Tribea

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Im from nationstates, so i bring brain fungi!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: September 21, 2013, 10:21:37 am »

I have 5 kids like this, legendary in particular skill because they follow their military mother around the danger room barracks all day.
Make all children do this, for USEFULLNESS AND MAGMA!!!

Covenant Ringthane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: September 21, 2013, 09:49:36 pm »

How did they not get their heads crushed?

neverdreamalone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: September 22, 2013, 02:08:22 am »

How did they not get their heads crushed?

I have no idea, the wiki says "Ten training spears will do just as much damage as one training spear", but to be honest I'm skeptical. Is this a fact proven by science?

I used four spears per trap which seems to be enough for them to start picking up skills without being brained.

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: September 22, 2013, 10:46:33 am »

Bane Urist Gustibiban has been contented lately. He has witnessed death lately. He enjoyed a fine meal lately. He took joy in slaughter lately. He enjoyed a fine drink lately. He admired a fine floor grate lately. Urist Gustibiban doesn't really care about anything any more.
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

Covenant Ringthane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: October 18, 2013, 02:26:16 am »

Is this thread dead? Surely it cannot be so! Someone must find a way to reliably mass-produce the results that neverdreamalone has shown. Are we not dwarves? Is this not !!SCIENCE!!? Gentledwarves, you know what must be done.

Twitchel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: November 20, 2013, 02:50:43 pm »

(Lurker of somewhat shabby proportions, Wanted to ask a question on engineering a hive city going both into the sky and down to the depths with a running plumbing/sewer system couldn't find anything on youtube so i thought to look on the forums and somhow stumbled on to this)
So is there a way to expedite the program without the micromanaging I know the criteria that has been set down is that the subjects must have an acceptable trait gain so as to make the project worthwhile
An acceptable mortality rate
Did I miss one or two...

anyways does the child need to be isolated? couldn't say a group of ten stand int he room together and live as brothers/sisters until their eventual conscription into the military if they all survive (Which i think would be easier with ten of them all together)  Maybe even if it's the same 1x1 room setup the little maniacs will start fighting each other and the dogs just for space. (Not sure if that has been tried before or not)
this whole project has been done with a single subject per room mentality their are no subjects grouped together.  I Believe it may be worth doing even with the dreaded friendships

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: November 20, 2013, 05:37:35 pm »

I'd say it's bit too risky in case of real, DWARVEN child care. Keeping them sane would be near impossible, because if one would die, in 3 seconds everyone would go berserkr.

However, in case of a less-lethal danger room... (if only there was a way to load training axes into lever-operated traps, I would be so happy. Training spears are probably the most lethal of wooden weapons*) If there was a way to keep them all alive, "talked with a friend lately" would help them stay sane.

But they still would develop friendships. You don't want friends in your military, unless you're 100% sure they "Don't care anymore"

*Let's assume that wooden spiked balls don't exist. For a spiked piece of wood, they do crazy damage even to leather armored targets.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: November 20, 2013, 07:46:30 pm »

The whole point of keeping them separated is so they don't friendship.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 76