Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1549983 times)

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim
« Reply #120 on: August 25, 2011, 03:04:13 am »

Khajit females look hilariously awful. That kind of big but thin head on a pencil neck is simply ridiculous...
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

Dakorma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 25, 2011, 07:57:14 am »

I love it, except for the female orcs, who don't look nearly... 'coarse' enough, and the female khajit, who just look a bit weird. It could just be the lighting, though.
Hopefully, we can choose different bodytypes, so someone wanting to play a female character could choose not to have a pencil-thin neck... :P

Things to remember about the orcs, they used to be Elves before being cursed by Malacath for not being ugly enough when they sought his aid. I imagine some a lot of them would still want to return to that beauty.

As for all humans looking alike, that's kind of the point of humans, they almost always descend from Nordic Stock. The Bretons are descendents of Elves and Humans, only because of how the racial mixing mechanics work, when you mix races most of the features are taken from the mother. So when a khajit female breeds with a human male, you end up with kittens, but when a Khajit Male breeds with an Orcish female, you end up with the green things. Bretons only differentiating features from normal baseline nordic stock, is that they have higher magical affinity. But other than that the Aldmeri blood has been bred out of them by intermixing with full human women for so long. It's possible that given enough time, they will breed out the magical affinity as well.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 25, 2011, 08:05:48 am »

I must admit to not really being well informed on TES lore, sadly, so I didn't know about the orc thing.
Still, the male orcs just look, in a word, badass. They look like they take pride in their ugliness! :D
Perhaps there could be options when making an orc, as to how 'ugly' you want them? I know a few of those orcs are less ugly than others whilst still looking 'orcy'.
And I noticed, with the wood elves, the males were mostly all pretty creepy looking, but the females had varying levels of creepiness, too, with some looking more normal than others. Hopefully the same sort of options will be available for orcs. [/pointless rambling]
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 25, 2011, 08:54:41 am »

Things to remember about the orcs, they used to be Elves before being cursed by Malacath for not being ugly enough when they sought his aid. I imagine some a lot of them would still want to return to that beauty.

Don't you mean the orsimer followed Trinimac as a god, and when Trinimac was eaten by Beothiah and crapped out as Malacath, the orcs changed along with him?

Edit: Beothiah, Mephala, what's the difference.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 10:10:01 am by Cecilff2 »
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 25, 2011, 09:28:39 am »

They're still too petite. And that still doesn't explain why only the women would "want to return to that beauty". It doesn't even work as a handwave - it's just the devs going "women can't look un-pretty lol"

Also it wasn't as much a direct curse as it was a metaphysical reaction to the shame and revulsion to the abasement of their god by Boethiah (S/he ate Trinimac and shat him out, which turned him into Malacath), and the resulting disgust the other Altmer felt for them and the ostracism for Altmeri society as they became the Pariah Folk.

...Yeah, Orc appearance and nature is basically a physical manifestation of their collective bad self image. ;D

As for all humans looking alike, that's kind of the point of humans, they almost always descend from Nordic Stock.
Most humans on Tamriel are not descended from the Atmorans/Proto-Nords, but are indigenous to the continent. The "out of Atmora" theory was rebuffed, it just didn't make any sense when you put the rest of the lore together. Basically, if all human (Redguard excepted) were descended from the Atmoran refugees/returners (because they came from Tamriel to begin with as well), they somehow managed to spread to all provinces except Morrowind, Summerset Isle and Valenwood (Yes, there are/were humans in Argonia as well) in a matter of a few years, develop a history and relations with the Elves and other creatures that run far further back than that, and develop a vast amount of cultures that is completely different from that of the Nords. And all from crews of a small number of ships.

Nah, there were human peoples there all along. A lot of them interbred with the Nordly arrivals over time, though, like the already Elf-interbred Bretons and the Colovians of Cyrodiil, mixing the their cultures.

edit: slightly Ninja'd. That what you get for pausing before you're finished.
Love, scriver~

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 25, 2011, 12:42:37 pm »

They're still too petite. And that still doesn't explain why only the women would "want to return to that beauty". It doesn't even work as a handwave - it's just the devs going "women can't look un-pretty lol"

Everyone knows that orc (and nord) women all wanna look like Wonder Woman.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 25, 2011, 08:09:57 pm »

Also it wasn't as much a direct curse as it was a metaphysical reaction to the shame and revulsion to the abasement of their god by Boethiah (S/he ate Trinimac and shat him out, which turned him into Malacath), and the resulting disgust the other Altmer felt for them and the ostracism for Altmeri society as they became the Pariah Folk.

...Yeah, Orc appearance and nature is basically a physical manifestation of their collective bad self image. ;D
Well at least there wasn't any rutting with geese.

I mean if that turns elves green imagine what Greek mythology would do! We could make Cthulhu!
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 25, 2011, 08:36:26 pm »

AND HROL DID LOVE UNTO A HILLOCK?
Love, scriver~

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 26, 2011, 10:52:35 am »

I AM CYRODIIL COME
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Domenique

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 26, 2011, 11:47:08 am »

I just love how this thread makes so much sense.

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #130 on: August 26, 2011, 11:59:54 am »

I dislike how there are less skills, but I can handle it. The hand-to-hand removal sucks though. :(
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 26, 2011, 12:13:11 pm »

I wonder if you'll have any means to defend yourself (magic aside) if a weapon breaks... which I assume they will, since there's a blacksmithing skill (suppose they might just get dull though).
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2011, 12:14:28 pm »

From what I gather you can still punch people but it's not got it's own set of skills or perks.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #133 on: August 26, 2011, 01:44:17 pm »

Yeah and there are going to tavern brawls and I think you can use fist outside those situations too.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 26, 2011, 04:41:28 pm »

There are now tavern brawls, but unarmed combat is no longer a skill.

Yep, this is looking good.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 896