Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1550207 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion on TES V: Skyrim - IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD!
« Reply #930 on: November 13, 2011, 06:27:12 pm »

Does anybody have a suggestion for running Skyrim smoothly with a 1 GB graphics card? Particles (lights and fire in particular) lag the hell out of me.
I meet all minimum requirements, yet I still lag like crazy.

it depends on what card and what driver you are using. Some drivers need to be updated, others dropped back and some cards are just no good. CPU is a big source of bottlenecking, so fill us in on your CPU, GPU and Ram please.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: November 13, 2011, 06:28:26 pm »

Salvation!
It turns out my video driver was for the motherboard card, and not for the one I put in.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #932 on: November 13, 2011, 08:21:15 pm »

So, how viable is a pure mage build?

Regretfully, not much. I played till around level 15 as a mage, and you get through every fight by the skin of your teeth, if you save often. When you run out of magicka, you're screwed. One hit, blam, most of your HP gone.
Not sure what you mean. I'm playing a mage build, currently level 23, and I'm doing fine. I do have to sometimes whip out a sword or a staff when I run out of magicka but most of my damage consists of dual-cast or double fisted fireballs which annihilates most anything I come across.

Dual-cast fireballs are ridiculous. I have all 3 fire perks as well as the dual-casting destruction perk which means shit usually dies in one/two hits and goes flying around the room.

Really the staggering perk is a must have. It causes you to stagger the enemy with dual-cast spells meaning they will pause and.. well... stagger back for a moment. Gives you valuable casting time. You also need to get all the mana regen you can. I custom crafted some elven gauntlets and a helm which are enchanted with mana regen or mana fortification. I'm wearing the archmage robes and wearing a mask that also enhances my mana regen and lowers casting costs.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: November 13, 2011, 08:23:07 pm »

Are staves actually staves in Skyrim? Or are they just magic wands like in Oblivion?
*Hugs*

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: November 13, 2011, 08:47:04 pm »

Are staves actually staves in Skyrim? Or are they just magic wands like in Oblivion?

From what I've seen so far, they're like they are in Oblivion.

And now, for something completely different:

Kivish Zokun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: November 13, 2011, 08:55:08 pm »

Soo anyone else meet the chief of the greybeards yet? Pretty cool guy...

Yodamaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: November 13, 2011, 09:16:56 pm »

@Your Spoiler, same thing happened to me so I don't think it's a random event.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: November 13, 2011, 09:24:34 pm »

So, how viable is a pure mage build?

So far I'm playing a pure mage (well, conjured blade for soul stealing) and an Ork Warrior. The warrior has managed to destroy enemies my mage found impossible to defeat without a lot of effort and I haven't once remembered to use the ork's berserk mode. The warrior is also doing it at a much lower level. Even though the mage felt powerful when I was zapping bandits dead in seconds, it's nothing compared to the Warhammer death-tap and unlike the mage, the warrior's ability use pool is optional.

I also suspect that a lot of my mage's success so far was due to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, a situation that has changed now that he's left me. Picking off an ancient lich with his help was fun though.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: November 13, 2011, 09:29:35 pm »

Just got the game and I'm having fun so far, love the story and the setting. The only problem I have is that there are TOO MANY UNDERGROUND LEVEL'S.

I FUCKING HATE UNDERGROUND LEVELS.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: November 13, 2011, 10:01:42 pm »

@Your Spoiler, same thing happened to me so I don't think it's a random event.

I disagree, I did the same thing, no dragon for me though :( That sounds like it would have been cool...

Also, I love this game. The guilds seem... shorter to me though, not sure how I feel about that. Also I found a really cool rock/diving board overlooking a pond with a waterfall going into the pond. You can guess what I did...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 10:04:50 pm by jmancube »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: November 13, 2011, 10:53:15 pm »

What do the argonians think of skyrim? I imagine it's too cold, but all the argonians I saw so far just want to kill me.  Maybe that's why they want to kill me, maybe the cold makes argonians grumpy and that's why I have this constant urge to stab wildlife.

Dragons are hard.  My usual "Beat it over the head with a greatsword until it is no longer a problem" fighting technique does not work so well when they are hovering above informing me of all the virtues of "Vos" like some kind of reptilian sesame street.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: November 13, 2011, 10:55:48 pm »

The only problem I have is that there are TOO MANY UNDERGROUND LEVEL'S.

I FUCKING HATE UNDERGROUND LEVELS.

Someone at Bethesda has a raging hard-on for cave levels. And it doesn't seem to have changed here. At the VERY least, I can say the caves have more variety and originality in them than in Oblivion, which shamelessly copy/pasted them to fill out 1/3rd of the game.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: November 13, 2011, 10:57:45 pm »

Is it just me being blind, or are their no perks for Daggers? As it stands right now, I can only sneakattack standard bandits etc. to death, and everyone thug level up just turns around and starts beating me over the head...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: November 13, 2011, 10:58:35 pm »

Dragons are hard.  My usual "Beat it over the head with a greatsword until it is no longer a problem" fighting technique does not work so well when they are hovering above informing me of all the virtues of "Vos" like some kind of reptilian sesame street.
BUT BUT!!!! THE HIT THEM UNTIL THEY STOP MOVING TECHNIQUE IS THE MOST POWERFUL ABILITY I KNOW!!!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: November 13, 2011, 11:01:44 pm »

I feel like a derp since last time I played, I learned that left hand + Right hand button while blocking does a weapon bash that stuns.

Oh my god, this is just like the stunning hit from Deadly reflex, only not fuckoff buggy. So, so very useful and now there's piles of bandits with gashes and missing heads in my wake.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 896